.52 balls- Have they made you a better hitter?

nkva

Addicted to Softballfans
I assume you mean1/4" of foam, and not one foot four inches.

With all due respect, you're leaving something out. I have hit a 52 out with a DVS1 in a swamp in south GA, so either you play with a bunch of composite queens, or a bunch of fat guys that forgot how to run the bases during the 44 cor era.

These guys that are getting forced out at 2nd and 3rd, are they really slow? Are you talking about bloops where they forget to go half way? If these are ground balls cleanly through the holes, then your guys are horrible. Either you're exaggerating or your team's baserunning is horrible.

The whole sea level argument works against you. Classic M's would be horrible in the heat at sea level.

Guys are getting forced at 2nd and 3rd on well hit balls to LF/LC. Our OF's are in their mid 20's and have excellent arms. The plays are close, but the fact that the young guys can play in more now gives them more opportunities to make throws on balls hit right at them. It happens once or twice a night, which seems like a lot to me. The better hitters are adjusting and hitting liners to RC/RF. I am not complaining about the plays, I think that a renewed emphasis on OF speed and arm strength is good for the game.

Yes, I meant 1/4". I also checked my BP bag and noticed the Evil's are definitely softer than the Thunders. I know that during BP, I hit out more Thunders than Evils (325' fence 6' high). I always liked Evils before, and can't say I have seen enough of other 52s to make a fair comparison.

I hear all the stories about how great the 52s are, and I'll admit that I have only been playing for a little over 30 years now and even though most of the guys I played with have won major tournys, I haven't because I didn't want to take that much time away from family every weekend. So, maybe you are correct in your implied assumption that I am fat, old and maybe even suck. The truth is, I don't get to hit as often in games as the other teams have taken to walking me if we have a runner and an open base, so my hitting experience is limited. Heck, I might even be going blind for all you know or better yet, maybe I just like exaggerating to get a rise out of the the "real" softball players.

The simple fact is that the 52/300 ball effects every aspect of the game. The ball is lighter which allows the wind to effect it more whether it is pitched, thrown, or hit in the air. It effects how you run the bases. It effects outfield defense and thanks to the new improved hops, infield defense. It effects hitting and creates an even bigger need for "wind awareness". Of course, the main benefit is weeding out the "composite queens" and players who don't have true hitting skills as well as giving the young, fast OFs a more significant role in the game.

I have seen my share of shaved bat liners that are dangerous, and I was once accused of picking up an opposing player's bat and busting it open against a pole to prove a point (although there was no video evidence and the bat was shown to be shaved, resulting in the player's banishment from that league). I am all for getting rid of shaved bats.

I am not arguing that the ball isn't safer, I am sure it is. Of course, if we all started playing kickball, it would be even safer and there would be less grass to cut, less equipment to buy and it would be more inclusive to all socioeconomic and skill levels and there would be less benefit for staying in good shape, lifting and taking some time to practice. Our quality of life would skyrocket and world peace would reign.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I'm going to revisit this topic in a couple months when it gets really hot. Here in CO its been a fairly cool spring, so I haven't really gotten to see how .52s work in games when it's 90+ degrees. I know .52s aren't as affected by heat as .44s and classic Ms, but I still think they degrade in performance somewhat when it gets very hot.

So far these balls aren't slowing me down at all though.

booth

Addicted to Softballfans
We hit them in 90 degree weather yesterday and we had no problem hitting all 10 homeruns.

Chudder

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm going to revisit this topic in a couple months when it gets really hot. Here in CO its been a fairly cool spring, so I haven't really gotten to see how .52s work in games when it's 90+ degrees. I know .52s aren't as affected by heat as .44s and classic Ms, but I still think they degrade in performance somewhat when it gets very hot.

So far these balls aren't slowing me down at all though.

We have been using the Worth hot dot for 3 years now.

I remember 5 years ago we were hitting the Worth Wickeds and in the spring and fall it was stupid the exit speed and distance you got but in August on some really hot days you could stand on them and not get them out of the yard.

There is next to no difference in the Hot Dot throughout the year, but they are affected more by wind.

I seem to reacal something like the old balls compression was at around 60 deg F but they lost or gained 10 lbs compression for every 2 deg shift. Where the hot dots are the same but only shift 1lb of compression.

THE ICON

Addicted to Softballfans
anybody that thinks they are a better hitter because of 52cor balls is an idiot.:biggthumpup:

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
anybody that thinks they are a better hitter because of 52cor balls is an idiot.:biggthumpup:

I disagree with this entirely. Anyone who has the motivation to succeed with .52 balls will find that by using them consistently they fine tune their swings and try harder than with .44s. You won't get the same results with a lazy swing using .52s as you would .44s. .52s will expose any and all flaws in a swing.

Last edited:

jhitman

When I started developing this ball back in 2005 it wasn't about the cheating. I was working on a ball that was safer when impacting a hard structure like bone, and still making a ball that would not make 300 ft fences obsolete.

The more I tested the ball both in labs and on the field I found out that it was less temperature resistant to heat and also did not come off shaved bats as fast as others in comparison. Just bonuses of the development. Now they will fly farther off shaved bats but only 1.7 mph faster than stock bats at max. Compared to 13+ mph with .44 balls and shaved bats.

The first tourney these were used was the Fireman's MD tourney in Maryland, we had representatives from ASA including the president there watching the games. Game scores were in the mid teens on average, homerun hitters still hit them. Infielders were covered in dirt from diving and making plays, and some guys were really humbled. After the first day of play we met in the hotel for a discussion. By the end of the weekend they were approved for play on a test level. 2009 ASA and USSSA approved them for play after all their testing was complete. 11/24/10 the new ASA stamp was issued for all manufactures.

June 2015 a new design of this ball will be released that will change all opinions of this ball. Stayed tuned.

Can you give us any insight on what to expect from the new ball coming out in June 2015? Also, do you know if these new softballs will take the place of the 52's were currently use or is there going to be more testing before allowed in our leagues?

tattooball

They are a new design, I have them coming in for all associations and cor/comp. BP ball a long distance ball. I have been testing them for 8 months now and there is nothing that hits like these anywhere. Water proof, durability is unmatched. People that have hit them with us say they will last to long and we won't sell as many. I disagree, we will just sell them to more people.

Thunder_Stick

Addicted to Softballfans
They are a new design, I have them coming in for all associations and cor/comp. BP ball a long distance ball. I have been testing them for 8 months now and there is nothing that hits like these anywhere. Water proof, durability is unmatched. People that have hit them with us say they will last to long and we won't sell as many. I disagree, we will just sell them to more people.

Can't wait to get a hold of these and try'em out. If they hit as good as they sound, then a big order is inbound!

rtrantham

The Veteran
I haven't noticed any change in my approach or swing when hitting 52s. I approach it the same as I do when I hit 44s.

That's because you hit so damn hard anyway. You could launch a 52. 100 over a 300ft fence. I wish I could hit like you. Who are you playing for this season?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guys are getting forced at 2nd and 3rd on well hit balls to LF/LC. Our OF's are in their mid 20's and have excellent arms. The plays are close, but the fact that the young guys can play in more now gives them more opportunities to make throws on balls hit right at them. It happens once or twice a night, which seems like a lot to me. The better hitters are adjusting and hitting liners to RC/RF. I am not complaining about the plays, I think that a renewed emphasis on OF speed and arm strength is good for the game.

Yes, I meant 1/4". I also checked my BP bag and noticed the Evil's are definitely softer than the Thunders. I know that during BP, I hit out more Thunders than Evils (325' fence 6' high). I always liked Evils before, and can't say I have seen enough of other 52s to make a fair comparison.

I hear all the stories about how great the 52s are, and I'll admit that I have only been playing for a little over 30 years now and even though most of the guys I played with have won major tournys, I haven't because I didn't want to take that much time away from family every weekend. So, maybe you are correct in your implied assumption that I am fat, old and maybe even suck. The truth is, I don't get to hit as often in games as the other teams have taken to walking me if we have a runner and an open base, so my hitting experience is limited. Heck, I might even be going blind for all you know or better yet, maybe I just like exaggerating to get a rise out of the the "real" softball players.

The simple fact is that the 52/300 ball effects every aspect of the game. The ball is lighter which allows the wind to effect it more whether it is pitched, thrown, or hit in the air. It effects how you run the bases. It effects outfield defense and thanks to the new improved hops, infield defense. It effects hitting and creates an even bigger need for "wind awareness". Of course, the main benefit is weeding out the "composite queens" and players who don't have true hitting skills as well as giving the young, fast OFs a more significant role in the game.

I have seen my share of shaved bat liners that are dangerous, and I was once accused of picking up an opposing player's bat and busting it open against a pole to prove a point (although there was no video evidence and the bat was shown to be shaved, resulting in the player's banishment from that league). I am all for getting rid of shaved bats.

I am not arguing that the ball isn't safer, I am sure it is. Of course, if we all started playing kickball, it would be even safer and there would be less grass to cut, less equipment to buy and it would be more inclusive to all socioeconomic and skill levels and there would be less benefit for staying in good shape, lifting and taking some time to practice. Our quality of life would skyrocket and world peace would reign.

Our fall kickball league had more injuries than all softball leagues combined last year.

The rest of your brag post was pretty good though. I mean, good for a brag post. It's a pretty sad trolling attempt since you previously said that everyone on your team was such weak hitters that they're being thrown out at second and third.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

I wear out about 1% of balls I buy. People steal or I lose way more than I wear out. :D

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I wear out about 1% of balls I buy. People steal or I lose way more than I wear out. :D

I lose or get stolen from about an equal amount of balls as I wear out. Covers get torn and balls egg up pretty bad, go through about 1-2doz a year.

They all get soaked, our parks are all flood control parks around here and they are soaked from over watering and/or if/when it ever does rain around here. I'm not sure if getting a core wet decreases it's life at all but it does make it heavier when hitting. I actually like hitting a heavier ball better but I know it's bad for bats.

I'm looking forward to the new ball that won't tear, soak up water, and performs better.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
My work bought us a dozen balls per season, or two dozen a year. When I first took over the team I got to add about 18 to my bp bag a year. My last year there I had to add balls to make it through the season. It was pure laziness. Nobody would go and get them.

I rarely lose any from my bp bag and I don't take bp when it's raining so my bp balls are really old. I have some I bought from TWMcCoy that I traded him an OGRT for. I'm thinking over 8 years ago. I still have a Steele's Skyhawk 47/375 slowpitch ball in my bag I got back when I first joined here.

booth

Addicted to Softballfans
That's because you hit so damn hard anyway. You could launch a 52. 100 over a 300ft fence. I wish I could hit like you. Who are you playing for this season?

Thanks buddy. Playing with the usual teams. Pitch perfect, chaos, wrecking crew.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
At least now we know where all the water went.

I took pics and vid of the park and street getting overwatered and the resulting creek running into the drain. Going to fire it off to the local paper.

My work bought us a dozen balls per season, or two dozen a year. When I first took over the team I got to add about 18 to my bp bag a year. My last year there I had to add balls to make it through the season. It was pure laziness. Nobody would go and get them.

I rarely lose any from my bp bag and I don't take bp when it's raining so my bp balls are really old. I have some I bought from TWMcCoy that I traded him an OGRT for. I'm thinking over 8 years ago. I still have a Steele's Skyhawk 47/375 slowpitch ball in my bag I got back when I first joined here.

Lot of my bp loss is due to only being little league parks around here and crappy maintenance. Balls bouncing off fences and structures, then getting lost in overgrowth or leaves.

Really starting to wonder about water affecting the longevity of a ball. Seems like the most I'll get out of a ball before it eggs is 2yrs, whatever sticks around long enough deforms into dead uselessness.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used to bp with a guy that had 3-4 dozen rubber 47/525s he bought from an old brick and mortar store. They had them in a clearance bin from the mid 90's I think. We'd hit those if it was slightly damp out. Some of them flew like good balls, but some of them were pretty bad. I've thought about buying some batting cage balls for that, but they cost so freaking much I'll just use my old balls for now.

jhitman

When you say they will come in for all associations and BP ball, does that mean we can buy them but can only use them in BP not games? Or will they be deemed for use in league play?

tattooball

I have them coming in for all associations. ISA .44/375, USSSA classic M and classic PLUS, NSA .52/275, ASA .52/300. A B/P ball and a super ball. I will have a red stitch .44/375 official softball .44/375 with no association stamp it will have cor and comp on it. I have sent a few of them to people to test and have hit them with many. It is a true single layer .44/375 that will perform with any multi layer made. So if your league says you can hit a .44/375 single layer ball this one will do the trick.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have them coming in for all associations. ISA .44/375, USSSA classic M and classic PLUS, NSA .52/275, ASA .52/300. A B/P ball and a super ball. I will have a red stitch .44/375 official softball .44/375 with no association stamp it will have cor and comp on it. I have sent a few of them to people to test and have hit them with many. It is a true single layer .44/375 that will perform with any multi layer made. So if your league says you can hit a .44/375 single layer ball this one will do the trick.

I'm just curious, but why are you making two 44/375s? Does the ISA ball not state the cor and comp on it?

whitaker201

Addicted to Softballfans
Wow. The things people get hung up on. If the cor and comp are correct it shouldn't really matter what the stitching colors are.

jhitman

Unfortunately, we are using 52 cor 300 comp softballs for all leagues in my area. Still might buy a dozen to have them for fun in BP.

Last edited:

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Unfortunately, we are using 52 cor 300 comp softballs for all leagues in my area. Still might by a dozen to have them for fun in BP.

I'd get the 52cor version and be happy you can supply your own ball. The 44/375 version I've been hitting is the best 44/375 ball I've ever hit.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS

Just say it in plain old simple Engrish............................Will it be better or worse than the ball we hit now?

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Well, not related to hitting the .52 300, but I saw a guy take a throw to the back of the head tonight. Didn't even really faze him. Had this been a .44 375 it would have been a significant injury. With the .52 the ball just bounced off.

I know the .52 has some negatives from a hitting and fielding standpoint, but a major positive of them is that they significantly reduce damage from being struck by the ball.