Batting average?

RC#13

Part Time Player
If you had to take a guess, or if you actually kept track, what was your estimated or actual batting average this year? We in SoCal are still playing but it looks like the season is over for alot of dudes out there. Also best and worst day this year? League/tourney..... best/worst day?

Of course any day you can get out and play is a good day but some are better than others.

What you got??

lx_2nv

Coach
I started the season with a spreadsheet and was keeping a total average for all leagues and tournaments. I over thought it, hit like crap and stopped. I think then was .625. Last 1/3 of season though I'm over .700. That's actual BA, not OB%

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
I probably hit somewhere in the high .700's or low .800's............Played 77 games, so probably about that many homers give or take.......Best tourney was a 25-27 in Missoula with 14 homers ....These are not hard numbers. I tend to remember the outs I make more than count the hits or homers.

Worst day was in the biggest tourney of the year at the Goosetown in Montana where I went 7 for 15 with 6 homeruns.....I ****ing hate homerun or nothing. Very unproductive.

Last edited:

RC#13

Part Time Player
lx 2nv......Best/worse day in tourney/league?

I am coming off a semi retirement that saw me not play for a few years. I came back and I actually feel pretty good. I have played a handful of tourneys since my "come back". Approx. 5 tourneys since July. I would guess my batting average including league is in the .600 to .700 range. Give or take.

Best day is first tourney of "come back" for obvious reasons. Worse day was Tuesday. Watched the pitcher on the opposing team get drilled in the face. Got knocked out for a few seconds. I rushed out to help him. Nose was broken and he had blood everywhere. Not that it matters but I gave him my Elite sweater to keep him warm and there was blood all over it when the paramedics got there. I just felt so bad for the guy but man I loved that sweater. Oh well. Main thing is guy was ok when paramedics got there.

charlied

Addicted to Softballfans
There is an App that does it, a coach on my one team does it. I lead the team with batting average of like .687 and RBI's too. Now before anyone says anything (LOL) I only have one eye and have bad pereferal vision in the other due to 3 brain surgeries. Haha. Just happy to be playing again and not on a very good team but the guys are really awesome and have been very supportive of me. Even gave up spots on the field so I could get some work in on picking up the ball knowing I more than likely will make mistakes. I dont know the average on the other teams and probably are not close.

RC#13

Part Time Player
There is an App that does it, a coach on my one team does it. I lead the team with batting average of like .687 and RBI's too. Now before anyone says anything (LOL) I only have one eye and have bad pereferal vision in the other due to 3 brain surgeries. Haha. Just happy to be playing again and not on a very good team but the guys are really awesome and have been very supportive of me. Even gave up spots on the field so I could get some work in on picking up the ball knowing I more than likely will make mistakes. I dont know the average on the other teams and probably are not close.

Why would anyone laugh about keeping track of your average? We all do it in one fashion or another and those who say they don't are LIARS!!

lx_2nv

Coach
lx 2nv......Best/worse day in tourney/league?

I am coming off a semi retirement that saw me not play for a few years. I came back and I actually feel pretty good. I have played a handful of tourneys since my "come back". Approx. 5 tourneys since July. I would guess my batting average including league is in the .600 to .700 range. Give or take.

Best day is first tourney of "come back" for obvious reasons. Worse day was Tuesday. Watched the pitcher on the opposing team get drilled in the face. Got knocked out for a few seconds. I rushed out to help him. Nose was broken and he had blood everywhere. Not that it matters but I gave him my Elite sweater to keep him warm and there was blood all over it when the paramedics got there. I just felt so bad for the guy but man I loved that sweater. Oh well. Main thing is guy was ok when paramedics got there.

You know, I haven't done but a couple tournies this year, and both of them I batted .500. One I was picked up on that morning and played with strangers...guess I was trying to impress them lmao. Other one was an unlimited arc wooden bat tourney and was lucky to even have .500.

There have been nights in league I batted 1.00 - and a few that were in the .350 range.

blakcherry329

Why would anyone laugh about keeping track of your average? We all do it in one fashion or another and those who say they don't are LIARS!!

I'm at a point in my "career" where I just count wins and losses and good/bad ABs.

Avg really doesn't matter to me, as long as I'm swinging the bat well. I'm more concerned with my pitching, at this point. Everyone wants to get a hit every time up, but to say everybody keeps/knows their avg is an exaggeration, imo.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS

I'll tell you why I don't keep my average..............It has zero to do with how effectively I'm striking the ball.

sjury

The Old Man
You'd be surprised. Nobody hits what they think they do, like ***. Whatever number of partners a guy says he's had, divide by three, and whatever number a girl says she's had multiply by two. Only Greg Connell had an OBP over 800 in conference, there is usually one guy that does each year. I know a lot of guys around here got a wake up call when our competitive league, that included a handful of conference guys, hired official scorekeepers for the league. We all paid $10 or $20 a guy to have it kept and posted online. Many guys that said they were 800 or 900 hitters, were 700 to 750. You could pretty much take off 150 to 200 points to get what they ended up with. 80% of the league was 500 to 700 with a handful in the 700s and a handful under 500. I ended at .627, and I was happy with that.

B-REAL09

Dont Even Trip
I dont sum up my batting average anymore becuz this is what happened the last time I did ............................

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EoAHdwGBvU[/ame]

Eeyore

Addicted to Softballfans
Around .600 for the year is my guess. On my Tuesday night league I led the team with .787 or something close to that (coach is an old guy who keeps stats and writes down every error, FC, walk, etc.). I don't usually try to focus on that stuff, because once I start I try to hard and start over thinking.

Last edited:

RC#13

Part Time Player
I'm at a point in my "career" where I just count wins and losses and good/bad ABs.

Avg really doesn't matter to me, as long as I'm swinging the bat well. I'm more concerned with my pitching, at this point. Everyone wants to get a hit every time up, but to say everybody keeps/knows their avg is an exaggeration, imo.

I didn't mean everyone knows there average I meant that everyone keeps their average in some sort of fashion. For some it's keeping an exact number. In your case it's wins/losses. Everyone keeps a general idea.

RC#13

Part Time Player
Around .600 for the year is my guess. On my Tuesday night league I led the team with .787 or something close to that (coach is an old guy who keeps stats and writes down every error, FC, walk, etc.). I don't usually try to focus on that stuff, because once I start I try to hard and start over thinking.

When I lived in Northern California I played for an older gentleman who did the same. It was crazy. He actually had a room in his house dedicated to softball. All he played was back yarders. He had a pretty successful team but it was never the same 12 guys. He had like 5 guys that he could count on and he would pick up the rest but somehow managed to win.....a lot. Anyways I stopped by his house and he showed me that room. It probably had, at the time, 150-200 trophies, plaques etc. Then he had probably 100+ score books with stats from just about every game and player he had ever played in/with. It was unbelievable. After each tournament he would spend the night writing all the stats and putting them in order in each section. Average, walks, errors etc. I have no idea why he did that because he never told anybody about it or to my knowledge never used it to make a line up or put guys on the field. When I brought it up at the next tourney he denied it. Strange! OCD perhaps??

Last edited:

blakcherry329

I'll tell you why I don't keep my average..............It has zero to do with how effectively I'm striking the ball.

That's my point.
Plus, it's slow pitch. I think I should never make an out. That's far from reality, but that's my mentality.:biggthumpup:

pontiacfb78

Star Player
I usually hit about .700. This year I think I was a bit below my normal average. Early last year I had a stretch of 37 hits in a row, but then stank it up in August and hit around .300 for over 5 weeks. I've probably been about .550-.600 over the last few weeks. I try to keep a good idea of how I've been hitting, but don't write it down any more.

I'd say a good average if anything over .750. If your hitting over .800, your golden.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
Don't be a stat rat, teammates will appreciate it
Couldn't agree more. So many people that play this game worry so much of their own personal performance and what others think of them that they often forget it's a team sport.
Any guy who tells you he hit .800 or higher probably has some great fishing stories as well.

And probably snapped off Helmer playing even with the bag.

MikeDwins

Starting Player
Any guy who tells you he hit .800 or higher probably has some great fishing stories as well.

My league keeps stats. Last season went 32/36 (.889)... and I've never been fishing. ;)
But this season I'm like 2 for 10 so far :(

...although I should add if someone drops a pop fly it probably goes as a hit, so this is more of an on base %. But semantics!

Kqz9m5.jpg

Last edited:

blackbeasst

Addicted to Softballfans
let me go ask the team mom and get back to you :rolleyes:

i actually was going to start a thread asking how many of you keep track of it. i noticed a couple guys in co-ed making notes or something this week and when i asked a guy i know on the team he said they are keeping up with their BA :smashfreakB: