Batting average?

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
let me go ask the team mom and get back to you :rolleyes:

i actually was going to start a thread asking how many of you keep track of it. i noticed a couple guys in co-ed making notes or something this week and when i asked a guy i know on the team he said they are keeping up with their BA :smashfreakB:

Lol keeping up with stats in coed is like bragging about bowling a good game with bumpers.

I played on a few teams where guys would want to throw $20 into a pot and the person with the highest average or most home runs took it home.....I ****ing hated it and never took part in that ****. I thought we were there to win every game, not profit.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
the past 2 years i've taken very little bp and have trimmed down to a few tourneys if that and 1 league night. i hit around .600 probably. at least 2 hits a game seems to be about right. sometimes more sometimes less.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
I have a 10k posts on SBF, I'm sure I'm hitting at least 1.25 with a slugging percentage well over 4. When I had 9,999 posts I was probably a .600 who walks a lot. Best this year I had a tourney where I only made 2 outs in 6 games, worst I started a tourney last winter 0 for 9 with a double play ground ball and pulled myself from the tourney.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
I played on a few teams where guys would want to throw $20 into a pot and the person with the highest average or most home runs took it home.....I ****ing hated it and never took part in that ****. I thought we were there to win every game, not profit.
I'd intentionally hit into a double play to stand the guy behind me so he couldn't get an AB.
Bumpers=only way to bowl my weight
My weight=230lbs

If I bowled my weight someone is putting extra pins out there :eek:

b#7

CAPN MORGAN
If you had to take a guess, or if you actually kept track, what was your estimated or actual batting average this year? We in SoCal are still playing but it looks like the season is over for alot of dudes out there. Also best and worst day this year? League/tourney..... best/worst day?

Of course any day you can get out and play is a good day but some are better than others.

What you got??

My tourney avg. is alright but as long as I'm helping the team win that's all that matters. I don't know what my league avg is and I don't care as long as we win. We have a 17 year old kid on our team that is hitting .768(202-263) on the year and leading the team with 59 Home runs. My worst tourney of the year was a 2-5 tourney that I pulled myself out of the tourney b/c I could feel my swing was off. We have at least 2 more tourney's this year if not more.

I actually had one game in league play where I was 1-4 and hit the ball very well on the night stuff happens. When I got home my wife asked me how I did and I told her I had my best 1-4 game ever b/c I was hitting the ball hard just right at people, **** happens.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
My tourney avg. is alright but as long as I'm helping the team win that's all that matters. I don't know what my league avg is and I don't care as long as we win. We have a 17 year old kid on our team that is hitting .768(202-263) on the year and leading the team with 59 Home runs. My worst tourney of the year was a 2-5 tourney that I pulled myself out of the tourney b/c I could feel my swing was off. We have at least 2 more tourney's this year if not more.

I actually had one game in league play where I was 1-4 and hit the ball very well on the night stuff happens. When I got home my wife asked me how I did and I told her I had my best 1-4 game ever b/c I was hitting the ball hard just right at people, **** happens.
Lol WTF. Tell that kid to go home

RC#13

Part Time Player

If you were the dude with 59 dingers and batting .769 I have a sneaking suspicion that your post might have been different. Maybe?

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
Used to keep track for the whole team. Had about 4 people who played that one league and that one league only for tons of years. A father, his two sons, and a nephew. My dad coached the team. They were always arguing lineups and decisions so one season just kept stats from beginning to use when they started yapping and accusing favoritism. Their wife/mom kept score and I entered numbers.

Last 3 years with that team I was .782, .767, .793. I do understand level of comp but led team to prove a point.

Since I've kept track when possible for ****s and giggles, but most years play far too many games and lose track.

This year was light. played something like 63 games. Mostly double and triple headers. Only 2 tournaments so easier to keep track. Ended up at .723. Probably pretty close because about 15 of those games were coed and went something that only happens in coed lik 55-57, but there was also the bottom playing about 15 ASA games that I hate and always hit worse in around
.600. Think it was .753 non ASA, non coed.

I am a little bit of a stat nerd. Not as in I talk about it all day it just interests me and as a kid wanted to be one of the stat guys for an MLB team

white_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
I was keeping my stats for all my tournament teams but I got lazy in may and havent updated. However my main tourney team this season kept my stats for me. Keep in mind we play D and only get 2 HRs a game. I have decent bat control so my HRs were usually only hit with 1 or 2 people on and depending on the situation. 17 tourneys, .688 BA, 143rbi, 23 HRs. 1 person beat me for HRs (24) and he was a solo artist at the beginning of the season. The next highest guy in RBIs was at 113. My best weekend I started the first day and next morning 19-19. I got tired and ended the tourney 21-24. Worst tourney I think I went 2-6 before we were rained out. Glad that day ended early.

Pylon #00

Bad Mother****er
I keep very detailed stats for my tournament teams. Most guys that think they hit .700/.800 over a season are shocked to see the actual numbers at the end of the year.

I had one of the top USSSA E teams in the country this year, and didn't have one guy hit over .600 for the year.

jhitman

My batting average was .740 for the Spring/Fall combined so far with a few remaining games and playoffs for Fall.

zuke 37

Star Player
A 4 for 5, 3 for 5, 3 for 4 game is not unusual for me for over 50 years. (rookie year 1959)

My hits are hits, the way I run they time me with tree rings.

I always win the BA pot. The past several seasons the guys won't get in unless there is second place money.

Once our resturant sponser gave a dinner for 2 for the RBI leader. Though I was a part time player I led the team
in that catagory and the other players protested because I didn't have enough at bats.

BOWLING: After 2 games of 78 and 72 I quit. No one tried to talk me out of it.

Rega17

'MERICA
Even in my bad tourneys I bat over .700 because I'm a lefty. I'm the biggest ****ing leadoff Hitter you ever did see.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
I keep very detailed stats for my tournament teams. Most guys that think they hit .700/.800 over a season are shocked to see the actual numbers at the end of the year.

I had one of the top USSSA E teams in the country this year, and didn't have one guy hit over .600 for the year.

This is SBF noob, everyone hits .800 and hits 400 foot bombs.

RC#13

Part Time Player
^^^^^^Awesome!! Like homeboy said....this is SBF! No one makes outs!
Dam all this is making me rethink my .600 to .700 average.
Nah! Me and my 12 inch cack are good! 12 inches and .700....yep that's sounds right!!

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

One tourney I was second on our team at about .618. If I was a crybaby I'd point out that I have a ton of walks and they just use straight BA, but I'm not bitter. :D The number one guy was .623 I think.

Straight BA is not as high as anyone thinks.

Beauner

Starting Player
Our manager keeps hardcore stats (BA, OBP, R, RBI, Ks, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR).
For the season I hit .708. Focused a lot more on using the whole field and not giving much thought to HRs (hit 14 all summer/fall in about 140 games).

Best weekend I had was the last tournament. Went 21/23. One of my outs was a fielder's choice where the CF threw the runner on first out at 2B for the force out. The other out was the CF bringing a grand slam back over the fence.

Pylon #00

Bad Mother****er
One tourney I was second on our team at about .618. If I was a crybaby I'd point out that I have a ton of walks and they just use straight BA, but I'm not bitter. :D The number one guy was .623 I think.

Straight BA is not as high as anyone thinks.

On-base % should be higher than batting average in most cases unless the guy never walks and hits a lot of sac flies.

In softball OBP is the best indicator IMHO.....

I had guys on the team that hit .700/.800 for a tourney, but for the entire season the team leader was .587 BA/ .593 OBP. That was over 62 games, 184 ABs, 199 PAs.

billvp

Addicted to Softballfans
On-base % should be higher than batting average in most cases unless the guy never walks and hits a lot of sac flies.

In softball OBP is the best indicator IMHO.....

I had guys on the team that hit .700/.800 for a tourney, but for the entire season the team leader was .587 BA/ .593 OBP. That was over 62 games, 184 ABs, 199 PAs.

You shouldn't count sac flies in softball. Even if you did, they don't count as a plate appearance for OBP.