I'm starting to wonder about Monsta customer service

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
Folks were selling them NIW for $400, maybe not on this site, but I saw plenty of Eastons that looked like a half-smoked cigarette going for $250, and they would go higher on the site not to be named. NIW a few years ago would fetch $280-300 on this board. All for a bat that was bought at a clearanced price or discount. Again, I wasn't stupid enough to pay that then, won't pay it now.

I got ripped a few years ago and called a D-bag for requesting that these SBF "brothers" throw me a new Flex for the clearance price they bought it for, or to give me $50 for the bat they were given by a rep or tourney. Even offered to pay shipping. After all, we're just brothers helping brothers try out bats, right?

I'm sure none of our hallowed board bros have purchased bats from the SBF store, put a few hits on them so that they're "minty" instead of NIW, and then sold them for $25-50 higher than what they paid for them, but still below the usual NIW price so they look like they're doing the peons a favor.

Case in point, I don't buy or sell that often, but when I put a bat up for sale, I've done my research, and I'm asking a fair market value price. When I drop it below market price, but still get high-faluting jackasses that want me to ship first or get me to cover the cost of shipping faster when the bat is already below market value, then want to say my low number of feedbacks with very established GTG members isn't good enough, that's when I start thinking people like that are what's ruining this board, not Carl and his Monsta cronies, or people who are not afraid to sell at market value or make a profit.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
They're not ruining the board, but should be ignored unless you're hard up to make a sale. Every time I've been told " i can get them for this much" I've still sold mine for asking.

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
They're not ruining the board, but should be ignored unless you're hard up to make a sale. Every time I've been told " i can get them for this much" I've still sold mine for asking.

Good point, but I think they have an effect on how many people stay on this site.

Jkmbones

Mizuno. Next Question?
The flex and extended are two of the best bats ever made. By a reputable company. They stood the test of time. Crazy duability. They also came with a warranty. Sure early on you could find them cheaper. Has zero comparison to buying a relatively new bat "torch, and bomb" with mystery durability used for $300 and buying $129 warranty.

Jkmbones

Mizuno. Next Question?
I'm not bashing guys for selling used bats at a profit. I'm simply skeptical $429 is a good investment

Rooster210

P-Pumpah #1
From everything I've heard Carl demanded that all stores he supplied bats to would pay him the full retail price of the bat. He offers no discounts whatsoever.

From what I read on all the drama on the fb pages is he didn't want reps from other companies profiting off his r&d in creating his product. That's why he booted all competitor reps off his pages and set those silly "rules".

biggm28

Manager
I was thinking how some people are buying monster bats secondhand for $300 and calling and having the $129 warranty added? Are flipping kidding me? $429. Please stop bringing up the flex, and extended Eastons. I don't see the comparison.

Only the original purchaser can buy the return (not a warranty) for bats. Also, if the bat is purchased from a rep, it is NOT eligible for return.

biggm28

Manager
From what I read on all the drama on the fb pages is he didn't want reps from other companies profiting off his r&d in creating his product. That's why he booted all competitor reps off his pages and set those silly "rules".

Close, but not entirely true. There was a couple reps from other companys that ruined it for all other reps.

u234bob

Blah Blah Blah
Stupid people don't sell bats for a huge profit
Stupid people buy them at a huge markup.
Especially when all Asa bats pass the same test.

cdamron13

scerred of sbf
pretty typical **** here....guys that are fanboys for other brands are calling the Monsta fanboys "nuthangers", really does crack me up......it's a ****ing softball bat, buy it-swing it...if you don't like it sell it/trade it, if you love it then keep it....pretty simple concept....yes Monsta has a lot of issues but they do make some good bats, and certain reps and other brand **** suckers hate on them and talk **** about their team that just won whatever big tournament was just in OKC, it's kind of funny seeing all the jealousy and hatred over a softball bat company....the facebook pages are the best when the Monsta crews get on a rant on the militia pages and then they start banning people left and right if they say even a single word against monsta, they get all pissy and start reporting raffles and ****, lol, so then reps on other pages ban the sales of monsta bats and pretty much ban anyone that isn't bashing monsta...it's all very comical, all over a $250 piece of equipment meant to hit a $5 softball....

monsta doesn't even make utrip bats and my league switched to gsl so it is what it is....I will say they are doing a pretty cool contest on the militia page where people were allowed to submit design concepts and they chose the top 3 and it goes to a vote for favorite design and the winner gets their design made into a monsta bat and they also get 10 of the bats once they are made, might even get their name on it if I remember correctly

Last edited:

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Cdam, best post you had in years and I totally agree with you. Being a small company that rose from nothing I wanted to see Carl do well like I did. I spoke to him a bunch of times early on warning him about how his antics were not going to help. Finally I had to give up and get away from the flames.
Cool thing about this game is there is a place for just about anyone with a halfway decent product to have an opportunity. Its how you handle it that makes is main stream or a fringe cult thing. Perhaps he is happy occupying the small segment of the market he has.

Jkmbones

Mizuno. Next Question?
Only the original purchaser can buy the return (not a warranty) for bats. Also, if the bat is purchased from a rep, it is NOT eligible for return.

Good to know, because I was reading a post you could add the warranty up to 30 days from the purchase of the bat. My impression was anybody could within that 30 day window.

Jkmbones

Mizuno. Next Question?
The best thing about my bad experience with Monsta is that 2 nice softballfans brothers reached out to me with bat offers. Was able to buy a DNA for a reasonable price, and I'm kicking around buying the bomb. I'm a very stubborn consumer, and was winning to jump hoops to try this product. Not everybody is willing to do this when there are many good bats on the market.

I'm convinced the customer service sucks, and the bats are top notch. So I'm not a basher or a nuthanger.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
Good point, but I think they have an effect on how many people stay on this site.

There are issues with buying & selling no doubt, but I am going to go out on a limb and say that is not necessarily the people that drive this site.
You come for the sales and stay for the brotherhood. And if the brotherhood gets weakened, then we lose the members that drive things. And it is really too bad.

Rooster210

P-Pumpah #1
Good to know, because I was reading a post you could add the warranty up to 30 days from the purchase of the bat. My impression was anybody could within that 30 day window.

Read you can't add the warranty within the 30 days if you buy from a rep. Not sure how true that is though.

stork

Buying warranties on top of those prices? That is some funny stuff. He has marbles, I will give him that.

biggm28

Manager

It could be added upto 30 days from the bat being shipped from Monsta, but only from the original purchaser.

The best thing about my bad experience with Monsta is that 2 nice softballfans brothers reached out to me with bat offers. Was able to buy a DNA for a reasonable price, and I'm kicking around buying the bomb. I'm a very stubborn consumer, and was winning to jump hoops to try this product. Not everybody is willing to do this when there are many good bats on the market.

I'm convinced the customer service sucks, and the bats are top notch. So I'm not a basher or a nuthanger.

The CS is actually great. If you are respectful, you would be treated like your there only customer. Its the people who act like *******s that catch the **** back from Carl.

Now the Militia, thats a whole other story. Some of them are, well, we'll say passionate. They will jump on people for something they have no business even committing on.

biggm28

Manager
Read you can't add the warranty within the 30 days if you buy from a rep. Not sure how true that is though.

Its very true... Im a rep

Buying warranties on top of those prices? That is some funny stuff. He has marbles, I will give him that.

This is a great way to stop people from defrauding a company with homemade receipts. And there is no questions asked, or a time frame.

stork

If people are willing to buy it, power to him. It's just a bad look imo.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
Cdam, best post you had in years and I totally agree with you. Being a small company that rose from nothing I wanted to see Carl do well like I did. I spoke to him a bunch of times early on warning him about how his antics were not going to help. Finally I had to give up and get away from the flames.
Cool thing about this game is there is a place for just about anyone with a halfway decent product to have an opportunity. Its how you handle it that makes is main stream or a fringe cult thing. Perhaps he is happy occupying the small segment of the market he has.

I seem to remember you being this way when Evil first started. People would talk about Evil or you and you would go off on them. Several people told him to watch it or you would lose customers. As Evil became more successful, individuals hating on your product or especially on you have less effect I think. You seem to have mellowed a lot, but I think once your company reaches a certain level of success you still have the same love for your company, you just don't worry as much about one or two people hating.

He literally started this company in his garage and it's just getting to that big point. As such, he is starting to get more hate. He's not the kind of guy to let people talk about him or his product without talking **** back. While that's not the best business move, it is who he is. I think he's happy with the piece of the market he has now. He has trouble keeping up with the piece he has right now. I think his plan is to build Monsta big enough to sell for a good chunk of change to someone else and retire young. I have never talked to him so this is just my personal take on his company.

Jkmbones

Mizuno. Next Question?
More like the customer service is great if..
1. You don't expect messages returned.
2. You don't expect phone calls retuned.
3. You don't want your bat on time.
4. You are ok waiting because nothing is in stock
5. You are not the type of person to ask when your bat will ship, or ask for tracking number.

Besides that the customer service is perfect.

the weird part is 50% of the people claim the service was perfect... 50% say the CS was awful? According to the rep it's the consumers fault. They were acting like *******s. Interesting I've never seen that in my work handbook.

Jkmbones

Mizuno. Next Question?
It could be added upto 30 days from the bat being shipped from Monsta, but only from the original purchaser.

The CS is actually great. If you are respectful, you would be treated like your there only customer. Its the people who act like *******s that catch the **** back from Carl.

Now the Militia, thats a whole other story. Some of them are, well, we'll say passionate. They will jump on people for something they have no business even committing on.

Respectful = click click.. Pay and wait for bat?
******* = irate customer.. Wondering where the bat is?

Please explain when it's ok to Argue, nastygram, cancel order, or have a confrontation with a customer.

biggm28

Manager
More like the customer service is great if..
1. You don't expect messages returned. I never experienced that. Even before I was a rep.
2. You don't expect phone calls retuned. See answer above
3. You don't want your bat on time. All ship times say estimated. Other than the Bombardier, which was a absoulte nightmare, never missed estimated date by that long. Carl himself said that he would have canceled his order.
4. You are ok waiting because nothing is in stock Thats up to the consumer. I'm okay with it, but I know what to expect when preordering anything
5. You are not the type of person to ask when your bat will ship, or ask for tracking number. That same question was asked almost 10 times a day. He/We never pissed on people for asking where THEIR item was. The other members, well, thats another story

Besides that the customer service is perfect.

the weird part is 50% of the people claim the service was perfect... 50% say the CS was awful? According to the rep it's the consumers fault. They were acting like *******s. Interesting I've never seen that in my work handbook.

You're taking what I said out of context. Monsta offered everyone full refunds on anybat. They continue to do so on any bat until the bat has shipped.

Respectful = click click.. Pay and wait for bat?
******* = irate customer.. Wondering where the bat is?

Please explain when it's ok to Argue, nastygram, cancel order, or have a confrontation with a customer.

I mean, you should never belittle someone. Somethings are out of his hands. Carl is who he is, and nothing will change about that.

But, I hope you enjoy your DNA. Just remember, its 52/300's, 52/275's above 50° and 40/275's above 65°

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
I seem to remember you being this way when Evil first started. People would talk about Evil or you and you would go off on them.. You seem to have mellowed a lot, but I think once your company reaches a certain level of success you still have the same love for your company, you just don't worry as much about one or two people hating.

Sully, during that time I was strongly influenced by a very negative and combative person. That ended and I saw the error of my ways.
Internet business is a really difficult place for proprietors. Keep in mind my real business deals with hundreds of customers on a daily basis. The difference there is its not over the net and the customers are respectful. They know at some point they will have to face you and that's a game changer. The people on here realize they will never be held accountable for their actions and act in a totally different manor, that creates a No win scenario for owners. That all being said YES I have mellowed :) but still dont enjoy faceless clowns talking out of their asses. My simple rule is if you wouldn't say it to the guy sitting at your local corner bar cause you would get a face full of hand, then Dont type it here.

015reddog

Certified Slacker

Only the original purchaser can buy the warranty. They have 30 days from the date the bat ships.

Now if the original purchaser does buy the warranty and then sells the bat, the warranty can be transferred to the new owner.

bruiser

Co-ed Rec league bat boy
Anybody else think it's funny that the warranty went up right before the durability went down?

MAB

The Rookie
Anybody else think it's funny that the warranty went up right before the durability went down?

When did the durability decrease? If you're talking about the lack of the "will never fail compression testing when used properly" line in the Torch/Bomb description, that has zero relation to it's durability. Using that kind of logic would mean that most Worth/Miken and some DeMarini bats have no durability since they can fail a tester right out of the wrapper.

As I previously stated, the IL rep told me that the Bombardier passed ASA testing 5-7 times before they finally granted it certification. That obviously costs a lot of money, so a price increase was bound to happen. He said it cost Carl $100k+ to make the Bombardier from start to finish.