Rawlings Customs and Horween

I need an education here Ladies and Gentlemen.

Looking at the Rawlings Custom page, the HoH has a few options when it comes to Horween leather... albeit in black only.

So what it the difference, if any, between the oiled and the soft dual core? I've heard both good and bad things... in fact, the consensus is that there really is no consensus. Go figure there. I've heard that people wouldn't wish the soft dual core stuff on their worst enemies even.

Just trying to wade through the bull**** here people. Any input is appreciated as always!

Have a great one! :thumb:

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
I think in general, most of the glove guys would say to stay away from the Dual Core stuff...when Rous calls something an abomination, that's good enough for me. I'd say wait for the summer/fall when the tan horween comes back.

I'm developing a real soft spot for Rawlings customs and the JT Tan specifically...I've got 2 now and its real nice. Not sure i'd ever spend that kind of dough on a custom black glove when there are so many other great choices.

The Horween oil tanned black leather (IDK what Horween calls it) is super heavy duty and feels great, but is heavy. The soft dual core leather is Horween Featherlite leather and it is an abomination. The stuff we all dream about is what Horween calls, simply, Glove Leather.

http://horween.com/leathers/full-tannage-list/

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Horween makes dozens of different leathers. When glove guys wax poetic about Horween, they mean the Glove Leather. The oil tanned black is very nice, thick, stiff, and will wear like iron, but it is heavy. The Featherlite (used for dual core gloves) is...well... you know what I think. But if you were someone who played 8 games per year, it would last 10 years and they are pretty much game ready off the shelf... so better than a lot of gloves out there (just not worth $249).

Thank you for the input gentlemen. I'm attempting to educate myself on the pros and cons of Horween as I will be having a custom 504 built this winter for next year. The 504 in particular interests me as it is right there at 12.5, and has a nice deep pocket. A tan Horween 504 would be a Holy Grail for me, so if what I'm reading about Rawlings bringing it back (tan horween that is) at some point later this year is true... well... it's going to be a very exciting (and expensive) Christmas!

Wally Gator

Starting Player
Don't shy away from the custom dry black leather. I've ordered two customs using that and it is thicker and stiffer than other retail dry black gloves I've got. A tad bit heavier, but I don't notice it when I'm wearing it.

Well here's what I have:

Black Dry - Japan tanned black leather.
Horween Black Oiled - Horween leather but oiled. Heavy and built like a tank.
Horween Black Soft Dual Core - Horween's feather-lite leather. Softer and somewhat flimsy. ABOMINATION!!!

Horween Glove Leather - Pretty much the tan version that everyone wants.

After carrying a M249/M240-B/M4 for the last decade I just don't buy in to the whole "it's too heavy for me to play ball with" argument. I've always liked and always preferred a glove with some substance to it. That's just me though. IMO, if 6 ounces of weight ruin your day you might want to go get yourself a cup of frozen yogurt and sit down for a while.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I often weigh gloves when relace them just to get a sense of the differences. Gloves in the 12"-13.5" range can weigh between 19oz and 32oz. Even at one size, gloves can vary by 8 oz. Personally, in the outfield weight does not bother me, but when pitching, I want all the help I can get. But as you said, it comes down to personal preference.

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
I think in general, most of the glove guys would say to stay away from the Dual Core stuff...when Rous calls something an abomination, that's good enough for me. I'd say wait for the summer/fall when the tan horween comes back.

I'm developing a real soft spot for Rawlings customs and the JT Tan specifically...I've got 2 now and its real nice. Not sure i'd ever spend that kind of dough on a custom black glove when there are so many other great choices.

SSoooo... dont get me wrong... I have both fingers and toes crossed.... but after reading that post on IG and then the slight bit of back tracking.... has anyone ever actually said "coming late summer/early fall, tan horween custom options" OR did we just kinda take what they said on IG and roll/run with it?
There has been a LOT of speculation of the changes ( for the better ) re: leather, labels, patterns, mesh etc... BUT has anyone actually been told that this is gospel?
This is a quote from the IG photo of them getting bombarded asking for Horween customs from the spring training demo leather display....

"@rawlingssg-Stay tuned for more great additions to the glove builder this summer… including Horween leather and mesh options"

Now, they dont specifically mention tan horween- and a few weeks later the oil black gets the horween name attached to it. Gold welting was added shortly there after and a few other minor changes BUT even the few guys who are in the know at rawlings have just kinda said 'who knows'?

I'd love it!!! but just curious is we've just blown this up and ran with it for there's another reason for heightened expectations.

I hear ya Rous (and no offense man, I'm not attacking you) but I just think that the whole "weight" argument in and of itself is full of ****. I don't know who is/was responsible for it but they were deserving of a swift kick to nuts.

I mean lets look at this objectively. 8 ounces of WEIGHT is about 8 ounces of water. If you look at your morning cup of coffee, that's roughly what half to a little better than half of the liquid in the cup weighs.

I mean c'mon people... are you telling me that that much is what makes or breaks a player..? Because it just weighs so darn much..? Seriously?

Bull****. Go pour 8 ounces of liquid into the nearest available container. Look at it and ask yourself if that argument really holds any water.

Players drink more weight in liquid than that while actually playing a game.

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
SSoooo... dont get me wrong... I have both fingers and toes crossed.... but after reading that post on IG and then the slight bit of back tracking.... has anyone ever actually said "coming late summer/early fall, tan horween custom options" OR did we just kinda take what they said on IG and roll/run with it?
There has been a LOT of speculation of the changes ( for the better ) re: leather, labels, patterns, mesh etc... BUT has anyone actually been told that this is gospel?
This is a quote from the IG photo of them getting bombarded asking for Horween customs from the spring training demo leather display....

"@rawlingssg-Stay tuned for more great additions to the glove builder this summer… including Horween leather and mesh options"

Now, they dont specifically mention tan horween- and a few weeks later the oil black gets the horween name attached to it. Gold welting was added shortly there after and a few other minor changes BUT even the few guys who are in the know at rawlings have just kinda said 'who knows'?

I'd love it!!! but just curious is we've just blown this up and ran with it for there's another reason for heightened expectations.

There was a Tan Horween colour swatch in that pic on IG (bottom left). That's all i'm going by. Honestly though...like I mentioned above, i've got 2 JT Tan's that I absolutlely love and wouldn't hesitate buying more.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCghIxOoWU-/

And considering I just got a Dark Shadow Nubuck Suede custom, I'm hoping that the Horween Tan comes true too.

I've wondered the same thing myself because if they WOULD have specifically said that we wouldn't even be thinking along these lines.

adf4b598252029bd77eddacf94d73775eae8bb3c04c76dc0abddc80f273f4a8a_large_zpsohwksbfd.jpg

That bottom left patch is pretty conclusive, but knowing Rawlings I'm kind of leery... just because it says horween doesn't mean it's what we're thinking of.

RalphG427

On the bench
I hear ya Rous (and no offense man, I'm not attacking you) but I just think that the whole "weight" argument in and of itself is full of ****. I don't know who is/was responsible for it but they were deserving of a swift kick to nuts.

I mean lets look at this objectively. 8 ounces of WEIGHT is about 8 ounces of water. If you look at your morning cup of coffee, that's roughly what half to a little better than half of the liquid in the cup weighs.

I mean c'mon people... are you telling me that that much is what makes or breaks a player..? Because it just weighs so darn much..? Seriously?

Bull****. Go pour 8 ounces of liquid into the nearest available container. Look at it and ask yourself if that argument really holds any water.

Players drink more weight in liquid than that while actually playing a game.

Weight is absolutely a factor and 8 ounces is a big difference. I'd much rather s glove that feels like an extension of my hand vs feeling added weight. Def not as much of a big deal with outfield. We get it, your so much more of a man than everyone else here hence weight doesn't matter. I guess you probably still swing 36 ounce metal bats as well and laugh at the guys using 26 and 27 ounce and generating a whole hell of a lot more batspeed, or dies bat weight not change anything at all either?

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Here is the best tip you're ever going to get concerning navigating thru SBF glove posts:

IF ROUS POSTS IT, IT'S TRUE GLOVE DOCTRINE.

Oh man, pressure is on!

The fact that the tan patch just says "Tan" while the black oil tanned one says "Oil Tanned Black" is all I have to go on in terms of whether the tan is glove leather or oil tanned. BTW, if you happen to find a older tan oil tanned leather Rawlings, that leather is as heavy duty as the black.

Weight is absolutely a factor and 8 ounces is a big difference. I'd much rather s glove that feels like an extension of my hand vs feeling added weight. Def not as much of a big deal with outfield. We get it, your so much more of a man than everyone else here hence weight doesn't matter. I guess you probably still swing 36 ounce metal bats as well and laugh at the guys using 26 and 27 ounce and generating a whole hell of a lot more batspeed, or dies bat weight not change anything at all either?

You've got me all figured out Ralph.

:rolleyes:

RalphG427

On the bench
Glad you think so. I wanted to match your level of ignorance the best I could. I'll proceed to take my swift kick in the nuts now for preferring a lighter glove

Glad you think so. I wanted to match your level of ignorance the best I could. I'll proceed to take my swift kick in the nuts now for preferring a lighter glove

Ralph, you're the reason we can't have nice things. You're so sensitive... so offended.

8 ounces on a bat probably matters a little bit more than 8 ounces on a glove, but if you'd like I'll go outside and swing my heaviest glove at a ball to see it makes any difference.

Stay classy Ralph.

:focus:

Last edited:

sleepin4matty

Management Material

The preference for a lighter glove is why I went to a custom Carpenter glove. I LOVE the glove and how light it feels. I needed a couple things fixed/tightened so I sent it back to the factory for adjustments (lifetime fixes guaranteed) and while it was out I picked up a Nike Sha/Do elite J and haven't put my Carpenter back on. the weight difference between the two gloves is so minimal that I feel like I don't lose any speed or reaction time.

ghunt25

Weight can be a factor with the user's preference. Personally I don't think it makes me a better or worse fielder, but if I'm more comfortable with a lighter glove, I'll use it. You come in here asking preferences and opinions, but shoot down the ones that don't match your way of thinking.

I have a ShaDo EliteJ, and love it. But, I actually like a heavier glove, so I use my HoH instead. Used a Vapor 360 for a year, and yup, back to my HoH.

I picked up a Primo, thinking the weight wouldn't be an issue. It is. Will never use it. Too much for my skinny arms.

RalphG427

On the bench
Ralph, you're the reason we can't have nice things. You're so sensitive... so offended.

8 ounces on a bat probably matters a little bit more than 8 ounces on a glove, but if you'd like I'll go outside and swing my heaviest glove at a ball to see it makes any difference.

Stay classy Ralph.

:focus:

I wasn't offended at all, just figured I'd make an equally ridiculous comment to make a point.

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
Can't we all just get along! :)

These custom Rawlings have ruined other gloves for me btw. Next level kinda thing. Once you get past the 6 week wait, it's so worth it.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I was all ready to jump on one of the SBF special make ups, but once possibility of a Horween option came to light, I have to hold out for that.

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
I was all ready to jump on one of the SBF special make ups, but once possibility of a Horween option came to light, I have to hold out for that.

So although the tan was in the picture, we are just assuming thats what they meant?

You come in here asking preferences and opinions, but shoot down the ones that don't match your way of thinking.

Have you even read the thread?

Actually I came here to have a discussion. I figured it would liven things up a bit, we would all get to weigh in on a topic that may or may not be near and dear to our hearts, then was labeled ignorant by someone who evidently took offense to my point of view because it wasn't the same as his.

It's funny how you can't have a discussion without people starting **** because they have a different opinion, and evidently he thought he was speaking for the majority here.

We get it

Just because you do not agree with someones point of view does not make the other person ignorant. Your actions though do speak volumes though.

Look mate, my big ass doesn't have a problem using a glove that's a bit heavier than others. I don't mind using a bat that's a little heavier either. That's just me. You have a few internet hero's on here that feel differently though, no surprise there.

Please, do us all the favor of expressing your opinion on the topic. Thought that's what this all was for.

For those of you that are thank you! Please, lets continue.

The tan Horween sounds like a gem... IF it's the same or very near to what they were putting out earlier. I haven't had the chance to use one of these for a season, but I have heard of many of them tearing. Would anyone take the time to explain to me why the Horween leather did that? Too thick/thin? It makes me wonder if they were maintained properly... no matter what the venue it's always amazed me that people take such lousy care of their equipment, even when their lives depend on it!!!

This forum is full of glove heurs. Is their really no one with a custom oiled black 504 with a point of view?

Last edited:

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
The tan Horween sounds like a gem... IF it's the same or very near to what they were putting out earlier. I haven't had the chance to use one of these for a season, but I have heard of many of them tearing. Would anyone take the time to explain to me why the Horween leather did that? Too thick/thin? It makes me wonder if they were maintained properly... no matter what the venue it's always amazed me that people take such lousy care of their equipment, even when their lives depend on it!!!

This forum is full of glove heurs. Is their really no one with a custom oiled black 504 with a point of view?

There's someone on here that did a dark shadow 504 with black oiled h web and bindings i wanna say...n8ers? lemme find it.

Yup:

http://forums.softballfans.com/showpost.php?p=18538932&postcount=116

case2000

Extra Hitter
but I have heard of many of them tearing. Would anyone take the time to explain to me why the Horween leather did that? Too thick/thin?

I have two of the Horween PRO-6XTC from the Don Morton special production runs (mine were made in 2003) and there was a issue with small tears at the three finger crotches... one of my gloves has a couple and the other one doesn't. But I have not noticed them getting worse or causing any problems. I haven't heard about other tear issues besides that...