Taking a walk

Dr. Funkenstein

Addicted to Softballfans
One of the guys on my team played baseball most of his life and wasn't sure of the etiquette in the situation...I told him I was good with it, but I figured I'd bring it here to get the "professional" opnion

Bases loaded, bottom of the 7th. Pitcher has been struggling with control all game (our leadoff hitter walked three times alone). First pitch is behind the batter. Second misses the inside corner by a few inches, and the payoff pitch is two feet outside. Game over.

Are you okay taking a walk-off walk? Does league vs. tournament matter to you? Does he deserve to get an "accidental" throw in his back next time we play that team?

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
throw strikes....

in tournament take that walk every time all the time. in league it depends. i play with a few teams occasionally that hate walking and are always if you like it hit it and don't care as they are mostly tournament teams just looking for AB's. Then there are teams i've played on where league is what they do and they want to win and they'll take walks if they have to.

personally i don't mind walking, but i also like to hit, if its close i'm usually swinging.

JP21

Talk the walk all day!!!!!

If pitch can't hit the plate for a strike that's his problem... and YES there is walking in softball, especially when pitch can't serve up muffins when the count is not in his favor.

blakcherry329

Now this is the kind of question that will get trolled, fo sho. lol

Make the pitcher throw at least one strike. Only "Softball Guy" won't take a walk.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
It's nobody's fault but the pitcher, maybe the coach, that the pitcher couldn't throw strikes. With no outs and winning run on third, I'm OK with most guys I play with swinging away. At best, they get the ball into the outfield to win. At worst, it's a double play and the winning run is on second. With 1 or 2 outs, I'm holding my breath, especially if the pitcher is struggling to throw strikes.

Jerrshoe

Take the walk if you can get it every time...even if you're playing rec. Practice plate discipline. The main difference I see between a decent rec or D / E player and guys that play higher, is simply swinging at good pitches and waiting for the one that you can do what you want to do with it.

single wally

Professional Amateur
I'm only walking if the pitches are trash, a few inches off the plate and I'm swinging. And before you get your panties in a bunch, I'm talking league ball.

baseman

in your face nancy grace
I only play coed now so guys can't walk. I will still make the pitcher work for it though.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
It was for the W, he did good. No idea why your guy would deserve one in the back. Sounds like the thug BS mentality that doesn't belong on the field but is prevalent around here.

Beauner

Starting Player
I've got no problem taking walks if the pitches aren't where I can do something with it. If it is in on the hands and all I'm gonna be able to do is pull it way foul or pop it out, or way outside where I have to reach way out to get it, I'm not swinging at it. If it's close enough that I feel like I can get a decent swing on the ball I'll swing at it, but in that scenario if the pitches aren't something you can handle, talk the walk and the win. Especially in tournaments. I have a bit bigger zone in league than tournaments (particularly to basically find out how big the zone can be for me when our team NEEDS a hit) but if the game is on the line I'm not going to swing at garbage pitches just to avoid a walkoff walk.

Jerrshoe

I agree with this, if you're killing a team. Bad habits are easy to develop without even knowing it. Swing at good stuff. Good teams want people who can help put an inning together. Swinging at balls that aren't strikes is selfish, and good teams will recognize that. Statistically, you're likely to wind up on first either way, so why not just take the walk and not risk hitting right at a guy for an out? I suppose it would be tempting if you have runners on base and you had a homerun left to use.

Only time to start swinging at the garbage pitches is when you are up big.

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans
In league, early in the game or if its lopsided, I have no problem with swinging 3-0. When the games on the line, or in tourneys, you can swing 3-0, but in the words of the great Billy Hoyle, "you better not put up no brick."

A Salt Weapon

Starting Player
I pay money to swing. I'll swing at garbage if it's 3-0 and try to make something out of it, my team would probably me take the walk, probably about 2 a year between men's/coed.
Sometimes it's frustrating as a pitcher, especially once it gets rough. I appreciate the players that will swing at a bad pitch to avoid a walk so I do too.

blakcherry329

Doesn't matter if it's league or tourney, plate discipline should be practiced, no matter what. Unless you're killing a team, then make the pitcher throw strikes. If you're smacking a team around, looking for a walk is a DB move, imho.

Dan411

Star Player
^^^^^^^^^This is pretty much right on how I feel about it. We've had a few teams who were up big on us go looking for walks (then use a pinch runner WTF?) during league play. If it's a tourney, take the walk all day. If it's league, and the pitch is close, swing away, put the ball in play and make the defense work.

CajunDude

In the situation described, take the walk, league or tourney. I have always been one to take a strike before I swing the bat. And, I've found that when I don't take a strike first, I usually make more outs. I know, I know, that's totally a mental thing, I get it but that's the way it is. But, what I've also found is that EVERYONE makes more outs swinging at bad pitches than swinging at good ones.

And I also agree with others that have stated, if you're crushing a team, swing at anything you can even reach no matter what. Don't take pitches or look for a walk up 15.

Dr. Funkenstein

Addicted to Softballfans
who the **** is out throwing at people on purpose. op and his team are dumbasses
No specific threat was made...I was referring to "Softball Guy" - not sure if that team has any, though their LC seemed a bit put out by the fact that we won on a walk-off walk.

-Six-

Weiner
No specific threat was made...I was referring to "Softball Guy" - not sure if that team has any, though their LC seemed a bit put out by the fact that we won on a walk-off walk.
aight, I personally will never try to throw at anyone. I think people that do are dooshnozzles. I also hate that softball guy that takes the game so srs.

Paulypal

Addicted to Softballfans
I am confused by the idea that somehow its the batters fault that the pitcher cant throw strikes and the batter is supposed to help him. Then to top it off he may end up with a ball smacking him in the head because the pitcher cant get it over the plate.

What alternate universe is this ok in?