Advance on foul ball

Slim45

Which makes NO sense to me. What's the difference between catching it in foul territory on the first pitch vs catching it when the batter already has a strike on him?

In our league they explained it as saving time, just like not having to run on a home run. If an out is recorded either way, why go through the trouble of making the fielder let the ball drop and then have to chase it to the fence after it bounces by him?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
In our league they explained it as saving time, just like not having to run on a home run. If an out is recorded either way, why go through the trouble of making the fielder let the ball drop and then have to chase it to the fence after it bounces by him?

So the offense is limited in advancement due to laziness of the defense?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
So the offense is limited in advancement due to laziness of the defense?

And the defense is just as limited. If that ball remains live and runners can run, the defense can still get another out or two.

Of all the stupid rules I've read over the years, this one ranks right up there.

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
And the defense is just as limited. If that ball remains live and runners can run, the defense can still get another out or two.

Of all the stupid rules I've read over the years, this one ranks right up there.
I think Utrip initiated it to speed up the game and punish the offense as stated above. I still remember being confused as hell by that rule when we started playing Utrip years ago....

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I think Utrip initiated it to speed up the game and punish the offense as stated above. I still remember being confused as hell by that rule when we started playing Utrip years ago....

All is does is **** up a decent game and save minimal time, if any.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired

So then why do they still require the batter-runner to touch first on a home run?

Hit 'n' sit. It's easy.

fitzpats

AKA - The Anti Ringer
All is does is **** up a decent game and save minimal time, if any.

I agree. Unless every player knows the rules within the ruleset that they are playing, and not the ones that they believe are correct, it will cost time. Players will still let the ball drop and chase after it. If the defense does catch it, and you send the runner back to third, then you're wasting time explaining what you're doing and getting the positions set while hearing the offense chirp at you.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I agree. Unless every player knows the rules within the ruleset that they are playing, and not the ones that they believe are correct, it will cost time. Players will still let the ball drop and chase after it. If the defense does catch it, and you send the runner back to third, then you're wasting time explaining what you're doing and getting the positions set while hearing the offense chirp at you.

Or if you get a U-Trip team playing in a USA Softball (ASA) tournament, the umpire is busy explaining why the ball is not dead, and that the runner could advance.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Or if you get a U-Trip team playing in a USA Softball (ASA) tournament, the umpire is busy explaining why the ball is not dead, and that the runner could advance.

You mean like the game they grew up playing since they were six years old?

blakcherry329

Every player knows the "foul after 2 strikes" rule. The OF was a dumbass for catching it in the first place. Unless it was really close to being a fair ball, why catch it??? Ump can't call dead ball unless the ball is CLEARLY going to be foul, so that amendment to the rule isn't really an option. Having it be a dead ball just saves stupid fielders from themselves. Although most umps don't enforce the rule when a fielder catches a foul, from my experience.

JabNblue

utrip league, batter has 1-2 count and none to waste with 1 out. Hit foul ball down left field line, outfielder catches it and runner tags from third to score, umps counts the run and states runner can advance, it this correct or I was under the impression it's a dead ball with no runner advancement

Thanks for input
No matter what association run counts. Good teams will yell out....let it fall. Runner can't tag up then that is dead ball.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
No matter what association run counts. Good teams will yell out....let it fall. Runner can't tag up then that is dead ball.
How big of a dumbass are you? The question was answered correctly by NCASA in post #6, a picture of the rule in the rulebook posted in #7 and I confirmed it in post #8.

The correct answer is: For USSSA, a caught foul ball with one strike is a strikeout and a dead ball. No runners may advance.