Ball hits bats in dugout entrance

BSBR

Starting Player
Our league uses USASoftball rules. In two recent games the same play happened with 2 different calls. In both plays the ball was over thrown into the batting teams dugout, and bounced off of bats in the dugout entrance back onto the field of play. Both times a dead ball was called. The first time the runners were not allowed to advance and stayed on the base they were on. In the second instance the umpire awarded an additional base to the runners. Which is correct?

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Both calls could be correct. We need more information: which team was on offense in each case; did a defender have an opportunity to make a play on a runner?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
It depends. Let’s assume the bats are in live ball territory.

If the unused equipment belongs to the team at-bat, then we have an immediate dead ball, and the runners return. If it interferes with the defense’s ability to make a play on a runner, then that runner being played on is also called out.

If the unused equipment belongs to the defense, then it’s treated as an overthrow.

If the ball made contact with the bats in dead ball territory, then it’s an overthrow, regardless of who owns the equipment.

BSBR

Starting Player
Both calls could be correct. We need more information: which team was on offense in each case; did a defender have an opportunity to make a play on a runner?
Ball overthrown into batting teams dugout, bounced off bats inside of dugout (deadball territory) back onto field. No defender had opportunity to make play.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Ball overthrown into batting teams dugout, bounced off bats inside of dugout (deadball territory) back onto field. No defender had opportunity to make play.

Dead ball, all runners are awarded two bases from the last base legally occupied at time the defender released the ball.

RNRPLZ

you do know that's gates have both an open and closed option right?
You obviously once again are making a comment as usual trying to always demean someone. If modern English is a issue for you maybe grammar school next year would be better than umpire school. Just because I didn’t add the words “if it were closed” I think if you FINISHED reading the thru the gate pun called that out. If gate was open blue missed not doing something about it.

pineapple

Our league uses USASoftball rules. In two recent games the same play happened with 2 different calls. In both plays the ball was over thrown into the batting teams dugout, and bounced off of bats in the dugout entrance back onto the field of play. Both times a dead ball was called. The first time the runners were not allowed to advance and stayed on the base they were on. In the second instance the umpire awarded an additional base to the runners. Which is correct?
award extra bases just like the ball going over the fence out of play

Joker

You obviously once again are making a comment as usual trying to always demean someone. If modern English is a issue for you maybe grammar school next year would be better than umpire school. Just because I didn’t add the words “if it were closed” I think if you FINISHED reading the thru the gate pun called that out. If gate was open blue missed not doing something about it.
what in the actual **** are you talking about?

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
I've seen guys open a gate during live play... it does happen.

Country469

the on deck hitter goes to grab the bat. The guy who was in the hole proceeds out. This happens cot damn near every single time a ball is put in play in softball. Where does the guy in the hole come from? The bench, where the gate is and would need to be opened for holy ****ing sake.

Joker

this ****ing guy talking about balls that entire the quantum realm and pass through gates

Country469

mentioning grammar on a message board where 95% of the members have more credit card debt than they make in a year has always, and will always, be a total ***** move and a cop out.