Pitching to higher level players

oppotaco13

Recently played a team that was slumming in the lower division. Is there anything I can do pitching wise to get even a slight advantage? We will be playing them again at some point, and I expect to get shelled again, but I want to get....slightly less shelled.

For reference, almost all can hit to all fields, and most can cut the ball.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Mix your height. Mess with the ceiling and floor heights of the strike call. Test the ump see if he's calling illegals. This is my favourite, cause you can lure a great hitter to be so cheesed at the ump and the illegal he forgets about his job in the box to get on base. Hasn't always worked, but it has enough that it's worth mentioning.

Most guys throw the same pitch over and over, avoid that. Mix.

Even knucklers, wtf good is it if it's the same arc and depth over and over? You'll get rocked.

At the end of the day, it's lob ball.... Most will be able to hit a 8MPH lob.

Last edited:

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
Tell your team to score more points than they do. Honestly, you really can't do much. You can throw the knuckle, slider, curve whatever, fact is the ball is coming 12 mph and they will hit it. That's why upper level games go into the 30s and 40s.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
I tried.

But it was chilly. After establishing my slow pitch with arc, I couldn't get the feel of my slow pitch, with arc, and 3 millimeters of break.
I have run into this quite often lately.. not a whole lot we can do about it, I know most if not all the guys/teams/sandbaggers we face, and alot of them can hit ANYTHING but some look for certain pitches to hit 500 ft blah blah.. so I try not to throw where they like what again not much we can do ..

Stretch19

Grow up
Tell your team to score more points than they do. Honestly, you really can't do much. You can throw the knuckle, slider, curve whatever, fact is the ball is coming 12 mph and they will hit it. That's why upper level games go into the 30s and 40s.

points? **** me running...points?

oppotaco13

You need your slider to have a black dot to be effective. And I could show you how to throw a sinker that gets up to 10' high and then just falls off the table. But I can't give away my secrets.

Now I have to trade a bat for a sharpie

jhitman

Recently played a team that was slumming in the lower division. Is there anything I can do pitching wise to get even a slight advantage? We will be playing them again at some point, and I expect to get shelled again, but I want to get....slightly less shelled.

For reference, almost all can hit to all fields, and most can cut the ball.

When I pitched I tried to pitch mostly short so they would have to reach. A good hitter is going to adjust anyways to what you are doing so there's not much you can do.

huzzdog

retired
i served up 43 homers in a game once.. we lost 60 to 40 in 4 innings. if you come up with the magic pitch... let me know

bigwignj

Addicted to Softballfans
If you continually throw a 20 foot high pitch, the ump will eventually give in and just start allowing it but youll probably have to sacrifice about 8-10 batters of three pitch all illegal call walks. This is my theory. Test it out and let me know how it goes

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans

I thought he was playing softball? Bro, they're called 'runs' in diamond sports.