Infield fly

Iceman6409

Runners on first and second and no one out. Batter hits a sky high fly ball clearly in the infield. Infield fly, batter is out is immediately called. Two fielders both camping underneath and the ball comes down and clangs off one of their wrist, falls to the ground and then rolls all the way out of bounds. Runners held their bases. Do the runners get to advance on the ball going out of bounds even though they held their bases?

Stretch19

Grow up
that doesnt answer his question; the question was are they awarded bases since the fielder knocked the ball out of play

Stretch19

Grow up
if it wasnt an IF fly and the ball was to bounce off a fielder out of play, then they would automatically be awarded the next base by the umpire

at their own peril means by definition, at your own risk; ie if its an IF fly, the runners can tag up and go or if the ball is dropped they can decide to advance, at their own peril

the runners cant advance 'at their own peril' on a dead ball that goes out of play; they are either awarded the base by the umpire or they are not due to it being an already dead ball

Stretch19

Grow up
so then they are awarded the next base by the umpire due to it going out of play and being a dead ball

either way they arent advancing at their own peril on a ball thats out of play

Country469

the moment from the time the ball goes hit the ground, until it rolled out of play, whatever 1.2 seconds or whatever it was, that was your advance at your own peril time. What you did during that split second time is all that matters for the base awards. The fact that is was an infield fly is irrelevant to actual ruling.

amace04

The ball is not dead on an IF fly, runners can, but have no obligation to advance. In theory, they could have started running at anytime once the ball was hit, in the air, hit the glove, or was rolling in the field of play, and they could be thrown out at any time. Once the ball rolled out of bounds, they can no longer "Advance at their own peril". Runners should be awarded a base by the umpire, but the batter would still be out.

It's not a foul ball, as it was touched in fair territory. Infield fly would still apply.

Stretch19

Grow up
correct, he said they held the bag, so they chose not to advance at their own peril.

his question was, once the ball goes out of bounds, are they awarded the next base?

like i said originally, your answer of them advancing at their own peril doesnt answer his question

amace04

correct, he said they held the bag, so they chose not to advance at their own peril.

his question was, once the ball goes out of bounds, are they awarded the next base?

And that answer should be yes. Only exception would be if the league has a house rule affecting how infield fly works (I've seen it, where any IF fly is an automatic dead ball. Runners cannot advance)

Stretch19

Grow up
And that answer should be yes. Only exception would be if the league has a house rule affecting how infield fly works (I've seen it, where any IF fly is an automatic dead ball. Runners cannot advance)

right, which is why in my 2nd response i mentioned the dead ball situation

Joker

think about it this way, there was a runner on 3rd and 0 outs. the same play happens (pop up to the infield, ball hits fielder in fair territory and goes out of play) and the runner stays put, does the runner get awarded home?

amace04

think about it this way, there was a runner on 3rd and 0 outs. the same play happens (pop up to the infield, hits fielder in fair territory, and goes out of play) and the runner stays put, does the runner get awarded home?
Why wouldn't he? Where the runners are on the bases doesn't affect how bases are awarded on a ball put out of play. As long as the ball is live (ie. hasn't been deemed a dead ball by the pitcher having it from the pitching circle), and goes out of play, bases should be awarded.

Joker

Why wouldn't he? Where the runners are on the bases doesn't affect how bases are awarded on a ball put out of play. As long as the ball is live (ie. hasn't been deemed a dead ball by the pitcher having it from the pitching circle), and goes out of play, bases should be awarded.
and there you go

all the infield fly rule does is delete the batter. everything else is the same

Stretch19

Grow up
i think it was more of a rhetorical question, which proved the point you made ealier

youre regressing here noob

amace04

Section 7, rule B:
"B. When a fair batted ball bounds or rolls into the stands, over, under or through a fence or other boundary of the playing field whether or not the batted ball is first touched by a fielder.
EFFECT Sec. 7 B The ball is dead, baserunners are awarded two bases from the last base held at the time of the pitch.
Rule 8 – Sec. 7 – Sec. 9 Page 35 Rule 8 – Sec. 7 – Sec. 9 C. When while in contact with the base, the baserunner is hit with a fair batted ball and it is deemed to be alive and it subsequently becomes blocked."

this seems to qualify. Fair batted ball (established fair by touching a defender), rolls out of bounds. Bases awarded.

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
This was painful to read.

Yes, the runners advance. As stated above, the play is live (runners advance at their own risk during the I.F.), once the ball goes out of play (in a dugout/OB) the ball is dead and the runners are awarded bases whether they were trying to advance or not.

USA Softball 8.5.I
When a fair batted ball:
1. .....
2. Deflects off the defensive player and goes out of play

Effect:
A. The ball is dead
B. All runners are awarded two bases from the time of the pitch.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
The only thing I would say here is that its important to use proper softball vocabulary...."out of bounds" would not be correct..."dead ball territory" would be correct.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Infield fly, batter is out. Ball is ultimately ruled fair, and is live until the ball entered dead ball territory. Once that happens, each runner is awarded two bases. We now have one run scored, and a runner on third. Next batter.

/thread