Pitching Gear

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
I doubt he had the chin strap fastened as I've never seen anyone playing with one. I agree, the only thing keeping the cage from being pushed back into your face is the strap.

There was a thread on here with guys arguing that there was no need for the chin strap. Where are you all at now?

I suppose it's possible that the force of impact while wearing a scrap could cause a broken jaw, but I doubt it. Wear your damn chin straps people, or at least put in some padding to make it snug against your face

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
There was a thread on here with guys arguing that there was no need for the chin strap. Where are you all at now?

I suppose it's possible that the force of impact while wearing a scrap could cause a broken jaw, but I doubt it. Wear your damn chin straps people, or at least put in some padding to make it snug against your face
Country's first link shows a dude wearing a padded chin strap, and I mean passed on the outside. They wouldn't put padding on the outside if people weren't being hit there. Granted, that could be mainly for stick contact.

Country469

I was gonna say, in all this, keep in mind they are designed for hard ass heavy rubber balls not softballs. But a softball should transfer less energy.

oppotaco13

I was gonna say, in all this, keep in mind they are designed for hard ass heavy rubber balls not softballs. But a softball should transfer less energy.

And those are strapped tight. Aside from getting hit with a ball, you can get crushed by a check. With all the movement, you don't want it loose.

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
Lacrosse balls are lighter, softer, and bouncier than a softball. It's closer to a baseball in weight, but again, softer and bouncier. Remember that video testing the impact of a softball pitch vs a baseball pitch?

Country469

the only thing that matters is the amount of energy the ball transfers to you. IDK what it looks like with a lacrosse ball vs a softabll, but a 52 275 softball aint breaking anyone's anything hitting a mask first.

blakcherry329

I don't use the chin strap. It's not needed if the the helmet fits correctly. Pitching is not the same as running around playing lacrosse. My helmet doesn't move one bit while I'm pitching. In fact, I've never seen a pitcher have a chin strap on their helmet

Country469

I say this not to talk ****, but holy hell how can you pitch and not be moving around constantly. Thats not a pitcher thats a target

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't use the chin strap. It's not needed if the the helmet fits correctly. Pitching is not the same as running around playing lacrosse. My helmet doesn't move one bit while I'm pitching. In fact, I've never seen a pitcher have a chin strap on their helmet
It might not move while you're pitching, but it sure as **** will move when 7oz of polyurethane travelling 100mph smashes into it. If you want to spread that impact as much as possible, where a chin strap or padding.

Do whatever you want, it's your face. I hope others don't take your advice though.

Country469

He plays E ball, the only thing traveling over 100 mph in e ball is the flights to Disney for 434 teams with no chance

blakcherry329

It might not move while you're pitching, but it sure as **** will move when 7oz of polyurethane travelling 100mph smashes into it. If you want to spread that impact as much as possible, where a chin strap or padding.

Do whatever you want, it's your face. I hope others don't take your advice though.
I've never come close to getting hit in the helmet. Never say never, but I'm not worried about it. I don't turn my head, ever and I watch the ball off the bat.
I never tell anyone how to play. Use a chin strap or not. Do what you feel comfortable with. My helmet fits perfectly and doesn't move, so I don't feel I need to use a strap. There's no right or wrong here. imo

Country469

Nope not like lacrosse. Different sports. But if you aren't back pedaling and shuffling in a few quick seconds every pitch of the game, filling in a hole, backing up a base or whatever, you're just a target. A good pitcher will move more than anyone else on the field, probably all of them combined. If you don't need the strap that's cool, I;ll take extra hits all day.

blakcherry329

Nope not like lacrosse. Different sports. But if you aren't back pedaling and shuffling in a few quick seconds every pitch of the game, filling in a hole, backing up a base or whatever, you're just a target. A good pitcher will move more than anyone else on the field, probably all of them combined. If you don't need the strap that's cool, I;ll take extra hits all day.
Um, who said I don't move? I said it's not the same as running around and getting checked in lacrosse.
I know how to pitch and I move accordingly, even in lowly E and D ball. When I move, my helmet stays put, because it fits correctly.

Country469

just quit now and admit you're getting older and lazy out there, no biggie. Either your helmet doesn't fit correctly or you don't move enough. You can pick, I don't care.

Normy

Didn't you make a video awhile back bouncing around in your helmet? Can't remember the thread just blackcherry bobblehead lol. I have the Worth mask that tightens from the back so I can't comment either way with the Lacrosse helmets.

Party mafia

schutt st1 softball helmet is a good alternate to the LAX helmet. I got this off their fb page:

Schutt ST1 Price Guide!
(includes tax/shipping CONUS, APO/FPO) Add $15 for international shipping

Base Model: $200 (12 standard color options)
-Add On: Matte or High Gloss Finish: $5

Single Color Paint: $225
includes Matte or High Gloss Finish

Satin Finish: $235

AquaTech (Hydro-Dipped): $235
(standard helmet base with standard or matte finish)
- Add Painted base color & Gloss Finish $15
- Add Painted base color & Matte Finish $15

Chrome Finish (silver): $275
- Color Chrome $300 (12 standard color w/chrome finish)

Decals/Logos/Numbers: TBD

Visors will still be available for all helmets: $50

Sizing: (appx hat size conversion)
Medium- (6-1/2 to 7)
Large- (7 to 7-1/2)
Extra Large- (7-1/2 to 7-3/4)

Approximate Turnaround time:
Base Models: 1 week
Painted Models: 2 weeks
Aquatech Models: 2 weeks
Chrome: 3-5 weeks

Starting 3/1- Stock Ready to Ship: (ships day of order or next business day)
Pre-Painted Stock Helmets $225

Reactions: klu

blakcherry329

Didn't you make a video awhile back bouncing around in your helmet? Can't remember the thread just blackcherry bobblehead lol. I have the Worth mask that tightens from the back so I can't comment either way with the Lacrosse helmets.
Lol. yeah I did.
I'm not trying to convince people not to use the chin strap, if they want to. I just don't feel it's necessary. Like I said, there's not right or wrong here.

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
you can say there isn't a right or wrong but they were designed to be worn 1 way and i'm sure that not wearing them as intended negates any liability the manufacturer might have in place for injuries

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
you can say there isn't a right or wrong but they were designed to be worn 1 way and i'm sure that not wearing them as intended negates any liability the manufacturer might have in place for injuries
There is no liability to a person getting injured playing softball for a manufacturer of a mask designed for lacrosse, regardless of how you wear it.
Sure, you can say there is no right or wrong, but that doesn't make it true.

Country469

that is correct. We are making the best of a bid situation here as pitchers, we know the risk going out to the mound, picking up the ball is accepting that risk.

blakcherry329

I'm not going to sure a Lacrosse helmet manufacturer if I get hit. Not sure anybody could sue any way.
I wish there was a video of when the guy got his jaw broken. I bet he turned his head before the ball made contact.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lol. yeah I did.
I'm not trying to convince people not to use the chin strap, if they want to. I just don't feel it's necessary. Like I said, there's not right or wrong here.
I'd bet the manufacturer of the helmet would beg to differ.

Reactions: klu

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not going to sure a Lacrosse helmet manufacturer if I get hit. Not sure anybody could sue any way.
I wish there was a video of when the guy got his jaw broken. I bet he turned his head before the ball made contact.
What do you think that has to do with anything? What is the magical force that you think will keep the cage from hitting you if you're facing forward but not if you're head is slightly turned?

blakcherry329

What do you think that has to do with anything? What is the magical force that you think will keep the cage from hitting you if you're facing forward but not if you're head is slightly turned?
So it wouldn't make a difference if you get hit in the front of the mask, where it's the strongest, or on the side? Ok, gotcha.