Girl Pitching Coed

Joshua.nunley

I have a coed team playing this fall and I'm having a hard time finding a pitcher. I have a girl that wants to do it. She has played ball all her life and knows what she is doing, but I'm having a hard time with the thought of putting a girl on the mound due to the risk of people hitting up the middle. Am I being paranoid or will it be fine? I've just never really seen a girl pitch in coed and I feel like it's for good reason.

TRaj2327

Has she done it before? Throw a mask on her and suggest to at least wear a soccer shinguard. If she understands the risks and can chuck some strikes, let her do it if she wants to. From a competitive standpoint, it could be an advantage as it allows you to play more guys at key positions.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
I wouldn't put a girl on the mound.. played coed few yrs back, girl that played college ball, she was good and probably better than some if the guys on the team. We put her at 1st and she went down to field a pretty routine grounder that jumped up last second and busted her in the eye, the look and her face was shear terror.. again (me) no I would not put a girl on mound

CanadianClint

It's her decision, we all know the inherent risk of pitching male or female. If it's that big of a problem go do BP with her pitching and hit some back up the middle as hard as you feel comfortable to make sure she is comfortable. Man or woman it's the best thing you can do if you don't feel comfortable. Gender shouldn't matter, there's plenty of women that demolish me on hot corner and pitching.

hitsone

back in the day of my co-ed team I was fortunate to have a female pitcher. She took the position seriously and I was able to show her the back ups and a couple of "extra" pitches, eg curve, back spin. Her defence was good as she was 5'11" . She usually contributed 5 HR's a year also. One negative was every game was game 7 of the world series and her competetive attitude cause disruption.
My advice to Joshua is go for it if she has the work ethic to practice on her own (recommended 200 practice pitches a week). then get her knee/shin guards, facemask/helmet wrist guard. Chest protector and Jill strap. safety first.

basilray

I've mostly played co-ed the last 5 or 6 years. I think I can count on one hand the number of female pitchers I have seen. Only one of the four I have played against is someone I would have put out there based on what they could do on the bump, and that one was VERY VERY good.

If you have a woman who wants to pitch, and is capable...let her. Mask/helmet her up, and have some fun.

Worth adding, in some leagues, you might be better off with a guy behind the plate, as many co-ed females who catch are afraid of the ball or getting run over.

curtis52

As others have said, if she wants to pitch and is capable give her a shot.

As others have mentioned, from a competitive stand point it may help the team out. My coed team(6 & 4) has a female pitcher who knows what she is signing up for, and having her pitch makes the defense behind her a much stronger group than if she was a positional player and we had a male pitch.

r8dr_rider

Blur the gender line. There is no male or female anymore. According to the libtards.

Anyway if she wants to pitch and knows the potential danger let her do it. When she strikes men out the trash talk will be epic.

r8dr_rider

Worth adding, in some leagues, you might be better off with a guy behind the plate, as many co-ed females who catch are afraid of the ball or getting run over.
I’m a solid OF and decent IF but play a lot of catcher in my league. Mainly due to me managing and letting others play.

But it’s fun playing catcher. Just last night in league championship game a guy hit a shot to LF. He rounded 3B but didn’t initially go. the cut off guy ended up throwing to me at home, instead of calling time like I told him to. My dumbass missed the ball and it went to the backstop. Guy ran home, I ran to grab the ball and ran back to home and tagged (punched) him right in the chest for an out. ESPN highlight worthy.

Country469

Its all fun an games until she hangs one outside and low and I have to swing cuz two strikes and then blast her ass. Its a pretty puss move imo. Unless you're totally cool with people blowing her up, its an unwritten rule both teams should always have a male there.

If you wanna use wood bats, I'll listen. until then, hell nah.

basilray

Its all fun an games until she hangs one outside and low and I have to swing cuz two strikes and then blast her ass. Its a pretty puss move imo. Unless you're totally cool with people blowing her up, its an unwritten rule both teams should always have a male there.

If you wanna use wood bats, I'll listen. until then, hell nah.

Or, hear me out, totes controversial, you could avoid hitting one back at her.

Then again, it's 2019 so, equality and stuff. If she steps on the rubber, she assumes the risk. That's her call.

Country469

Avoid hitting one back at her..................... So what you saying is I should give up the outer half of the plate, and the biggest hole on the infield in most cases, simply because the other guy who made up the line up wanted a female to pitch? Its one thing to try to intentionally hit the ball at someone, that is wrong, but using the middle of the field when the pitch is low and out is where its supposed to go. If you peddle a female out there to the rubber, that is signing off you can't say **** about the middle imo. Esp if her glove is below average for a pitcher in the league. I don't play coed for this type of bs, where winning and ethics get cloudy. But the problem in this situation is the guy putting a chick on the mound, period.

Joshua.nunley

Avoid hitting one back at her..................... So what you saying is I should give up the outer half of the plate, and the biggest hole on the infield in most cases, simply because the other guy who made up the line up wanted a female to pitch? Its one thing to try to intentionally hit the ball at someone, that is wrong, but using the middle of the field when the pitch is low and out is where its supposed to go. If you peddle a female out there to the rubber, that is signing off you can't say **** about the middle imo. Esp if her glove is below average for a pitcher in the league. I don't play coed for this type of bs, where winning and ethics get cloudy. But the problem in this situation is the guy putting a chick on the mound, period.
I assume you didn't read the part where I said I do NOT want to put her on the mound?
I just wanted others opinions on if I'm being an ass by telling her no.

blakcherry329

So you're saying no woman is good enough to pitch in coed? I've seen lots of guys who shouldn't be on the mound, too.

Country469

So you're saying no woman is good enough to pitch in coed? I've seen lots of guys who shouldn't be on the mound, too.

Yeah but at least the guys have the same genetics involved. Women pitching isn't about "how good" vs a ****ty male pitcher they are, its about that unwritten rule where I'm now a dbag for hitting a pitch where its supposed to go. If one team has a female pitcher vs a male pitcher, its to their advantage because most guys would rather pop out than hit at a female. It changes that entire outlook of the game.

You guys can sit here and dream "one offs and what if's" all you want. Me and Joker do that that. What if yall practiced, worked out, and learned to use google?

blakcherry329

Yeah but at least the guys have the same genetics involved. Women pitching isn't about "how good" vs a ****ty male pitcher they are, its about that unwritten rule where I'm now a dag for hitting a pitch where its supposed to go.

You guys can sit here and dream "one offs and what if's" all you want. Me and Joker do that that. What if yall practiced, worked out, and learned to use google?
I'm not sure what your point is, but ok. smh

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Women pitching isn't about "how good" vs a ****ty male pitcher they are, its about that unwritten rule where I'm now a dbag for hitting a pitch where its supposed to go. If one team has a female pitcher vs a male pitcher, its to their advantage because most guys would rather pop out than hit at a female. It changes that entire outlook of the game.

This is the problem; even if a ball never gets hit near a female pitcher, it completely changes how a lot of guys play. Personally, if I had a girl pitching to me, the whole area between the SS and the 2b would be off limits. And you see teams take advantage of this and leave the middle completely uncovered, assuming nobody will try to hit there. Then if somebody does, they're an ass-hole for hitting at a girl. My ****, coed sucks.

Then again, it's 2019 so, equality and stuff. If she steps on the rubber, she assumes the risk. That's her call.

Drill a female pitcher on most coed teams and you're the one taking the risk. Odds are you'll end up hurt way worse than her.

blakcherry329

This is the problem; even if a ball never gets hit near a female pitcher, it completely changes how a lot of guys play. Personally, if I had a girl pitching to me, the whole area between the SS and the 2b would be off limits. And you see teams take advantage of this and leave the middle completely uncovered, assuming nobody will try to hit there. Then if somebody does, they're an ass-hole for hitting at a girl. My ****, coed sucks.

Drill a female pitcher on most coed teams and you're the one taking the risk. Odds are you'll end up hurt way worse than her.

If you don't believe in Coed, fine. But I don't agree that a woman can't be a pitcher.
Agree to disagree, I guess.

Country469

By rule it shouldn't be outlawed no

By practice any men who do this are complete and utter vaginals tho real talk

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
It is a douche move when/especially there us a guy/s that can pitch..

We played church coed couple years back and one team had a girl pitch, it changed my approach (as much as possble) but we had a couple guys that could not control where they hut the ball if lice depended on it, they buzzed her tower on several occasions and she couldn't even react to the ball buzzing by her head.. she and the (men) on the team just shrugged it off like it was all fun and games..smh

lakeyale13

Manager
What does that have to do with pitching? That could have happened to anyone, male or female.

If she is a good player and wants to pitch, let her pitch, imo.

LAX helmet and shinguards and she should be GTG.

Agree with you man, as long as she knows exactly what she is getting into and is appropriately protected she should be fine.

lakeyale13

Manager
so unless there is a screen that she stays behind 100% of the time

LOL, everything but the screen. I would want her to have a mask with the throat guard, chest protector and shin guards. If she was willing to do that, then I think it would take something completely freakish to hurt her.

D-ROCK13

There are several coed teams that have female pitchers, most are highly skilled ex college fast pitch players. And they know the risk and don't ask nor expect guys to avoid middle, its part of the game. That being said, I've seen a few in the lower leagues that have absolutely no business on the field, let alone the mound, and its a safety hazard for sure. Personally I wouldn't want a female pitching and wouldn't recommend it, but there are plenty out there that do it, and do it fairly well.....

lakeyale13

Manager
never played catcher in baseball huh

Nope...never played catcher, but the only time I ever saw a catcher get seriously hurt (Little League through High School) was by a freak accident / collision. The padding and protection prevented just about every "preventable" injury.

Now, and these conversations are difficult these days with "equality" being the mantra of the day, but one could make a case that even with all the protection a woman is still more susceptible to injury due to the real and objective physiological differences between a male and a female. Again, these things aren't popular these days, but anatomically there are objective differences between the sexes that differentiate one from the other in regards to average strength, durability, capability of one sex over the other physically.