Me or the glove?

r8dr_rider

I’m usually a solid defensive player, especially in the OF. But recently I’ve been dropping balls. Not the easy routine fly balls, but the ones you need to run too. Mainly lazer happens, I can catch anything over my shoulder or head. It got me thinking I have a Big 5 Mizuno 14” glove but almost feels like the ball pops out for no reason. I’ve had it for about a year, and I know these gloves are cheap. But is it the glove or me getting old?

dunkky

if u can't reach, u getting old or fat, but, if it pops out, it's glove. my experience has been that, good glove will suck the ball in and trap it good where cheap ones don't have sticking effect. I have rawling glove, man what a difference it made, but it's 11.4 incher, i need something bigger.

r8dr_rider

^thx!! Good to know. I get to the balls but they literally spin and pop out. I get so frustrated cuz im pretty damn good at tracking balls. Especially when I haven’t drank. Normally I would blame it on the drinking in league, But even today I played a company tournament (didn’t drink) and dropped some stupid easy balls. Even my teammates were like “ I thought you played bro”

r8dr_rider

Do you play traditional or TIP?
Don’t know what you mean. But I do keep pinky and ringer finger together and move each finger over. leave the index finger open. Keeps a deeper pocket. Done this forever. Also keep some palm open on the glove. What is TIP

ShortYellowBus

Don’t know what you mean. But I do keep pinky and ringer finger together and move each finger over. leave the index finger open. Keeps a deeper pocket. Done this forever. Also keep some palm open on the glove. What is TIP
Close with the thumb only. Don’t close with the pinky and ring. I see my guys try to close too fast, the ball hits the side of the glove and the ball rolls out.

Practice closing only with thumb.

Also, use a regular size glove. That 14” glove is a contributing factor.

A nice Rawlings 12.25 or 12.5 should work. If you don’t feel comfortable with this, 12.75”.

Good luck!

r8dr_rider

^thx! I do have a 12.5 that I’ve used forever, but switched to the 14 for OF. Maybe I should just go back to the 12.5.

TIP=two in pinky, got it. Yes I do that

Sometimes I do two in the pink and one in the stink.

r8dr_rider

I also have a fairly new 14” Rawlings I haven’t used much since it’s not really broken in. It was free, so maybe I should start using it

Mrchata

You spend more on Big 5 gloves being you will get 1 every so many seasons vs spending the money upfront and getting a glove the will last a life time. A2000 is a really good glove with not to much break in.

Reactions: NYC

MaverickAH

I’m usually a solid defensive player, especially in the OF. But recently I’ve been dropping balls. Not the easy routine fly balls, but the ones you need to run too. Mainly lazer happens, I can catch anything over my shoulder or head. It got me thinking I have a Big 5 Mizuno 14” glove but almost feels like the ball pops out for no reason. I’ve had it for about a year, and I know these gloves are cheap. But is it the glove or me getting old?

If it's something that's happening recently, the first thing I'd advise you to do is to get an eye exam. I've witnessed the same thing you describe amongst teammates & it's usually health related. You might want to get your blood pressure checked as well. Could the glove be a factor? Maybe, but get yourself checked out first.

r8dr_rider

If it's something that's happening recently, the first thing I'd advise you to do is to get an eye exam. I've witnessed the same thing you describe amongst teammates & it's usually health related. You might want to get your blood pressure checked as well. Could the glove be a factor? Maybe, but get yourself checked out first.

Good idea. I am getting older just turned 38. I know the drinking doesn’t help, but had some drops during a day company tourney and I didn’t have a drop. Could be the eyes.

D-ROCK13

I second this statement, this is one of the contributing factors in me being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Was having a hard time tracking balls, pitching, seeing at night especially when driving in the rain,etc. Went and got an eye exam, never had glasses or anything, eye Dr. recommends me to pcp for labs due to visible aneurisms in my eyes and a1c was over double the norm. I had no other symptoms of high blood sugar either. A1c and glucose is back to normal levels now and my eyes are as well thankfully

r8dr_rider

Ok another update. I think I should see a Dr. played another company tourney, so beer was not involved. Did great catching fly balls, even the tough ones. But still having issues tracking the dropping line drives. It’s like the ball looks 3D on me last minute. I think my approach sux too. Tried catching glove up in the gut cuz I ran up on it too fast. But also think BP could be a little high.

I always say if the ball hits your glove you should’ve caught it. Just pissed cuz I gave up 2 runs that game.

ShortYellowBus

Ok another update. I think I should see a Dr. played another company tourney, so beer was not involved. Did great catching fly balls, even the tough ones. But still having issues tracking the dropping line drives. It’s like the ball looks 3D on me last minute. I think my approach sux too. Tried catching glove up in the gut cuz I ran up on it too fast. But also think BP could be a little high.

I always say if the ball hits your glove you should’ve caught it. Just pissed cuz I gave up 2 runs that game.
Stop playing outfield. First base or catcher from now on. A ball to the face is very dangerous.

Get a first base glove.

r8dr_rider

Stop playing outfield. First base or catcher from now on. A ball to the face is very dangerous.

Get a first base glove.
I can play 2b and 3b fine. Grounders and fast liners aren’t the issue. Its me running a distance to catch the liner is the issue. I’m probably jus too old now

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Did great catching fly balls, even the tough ones. But still having issues tracking the dropping line drives. It’s like the ball looks 3D on me last minute.

Is there any chance you're running hard on your heels? That will bounce your eyes and mess with your vision. Watch any MLB outfielder, they all run on their toes.

He's having vision problems and difficulty with line drives and your advice is to play 1b and let the other infielders basically throw line drives at him from close range. Think about that.

What's dangerous is not getting a checkup! :(

^^^ This. Stop being so concerned about dropping a ball and start being more concerned about glaucoma, diabetes, and brain tumours.

NYC

Swag on 100.
Is there any chance you're running hard on your heels? That will bounce your eyes and mess with your vision. Watch any MLB outfielder, they all run on their toes.

He's having vision problems and difficulty with line drives and your advice is to play 1b and let the other infielders basically throw line drives at him from close range. Think about that.

^^^ This. Stop being so concerned about dropping a ball and start being more concerned about glaucoma, diabetes, and brain tumours.
Great 1st point, they did a breakdown on why Clint Frazier was having outfield troubles on Baseball Tonight. They pointed out he was robotic running on his heels. Burns had a great quote that his OF coach told him in the MLB; "If you're not pimpin it in the outfield I don't want you there". The best outfielders are extremely smooth and confident.

SaucyJack

I hung up my old Rawlings 14 inch glove this year for a new Dimartini 13 inch. I noticed a big improvement when fielding the ball.

r8dr_rider

Good one. I haven’t thought about that one. But im a runner and normally run on my toes. Need to think this one out.

SaucyJack

Good one. I haven’t thought about that one. But im a runner and normally run on my toes. Need to think this one out.

Damn!!! I have never thought about that but there are times this past season when I was running down a ball and experienced the same thing. I messed up what should have been an easy line drive catch and took the ball in the face. That hurt....

dunkky

this is a fact.

SD quality == running on heels. HD quality == running on toes. U can try it and see for yourself.