Using a pitching Mask

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then y'all wonder why Joker is "mean".

Is this your first softballin 101 post? These don't count.

I got hit in the stomach. Sure, it wasn't the face, but I'm smart enough to know how much worse it would have been had it been the face. Any pitcher that hasn't been hit is just like the guy you play with that has never struck out. They just haven't been hit yet.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
I would never discourage anyone from buying whatever protection they need to feel confident on the mound... Being scared when you pitch creates a massive risk because you are not concentrating 100% on the ball when the bat strikes it - You're worried about what might happen after that...

But everyone needs to make their own choices for their own personal reasons...

See the link in my signature (below) regarding Pitcher Safety... OR CLICK HERE!

%%%

Last edited:

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
i've been hit in both my last 2 tournaments. i swear the ground keeps getting farther away from my glove
I got hit in the toe, on a freak play, and my toenail still doesn't grow back right.

I dropped for a ball so fast this season that my knee went past the stops on my knee brace. I got the guy out, but that type of pain will make you think twice for sure.

Tubba

Not wearing a mask might make you look tough...or stupid

I see people get lit up every week and while a face hit is rare why even risk it. Like someone said before, a mask is way cheaper than surgery.

softballin101

Addicted to Softballfans
Guys who don't wear one are at a disadvantage anymore. You are a target up there, OP if you're asking about this , youre thinking about it, and if you are thinking about it you can't be effective. A mouth piece will nothng to help you unless you get hit in the mouth. between the eyes doesnt do ****, or the side or the head. Or the forehead, or the neck. You probably play league and fine, the % it happens is small, but eventually if you pitch enough you will get drilled. No one sees them all. I've taken some absolute shots off my body, by some guys roided out and swinging hot bats, and I can attest that while a mask has never saved my life, being confident it will save me is what keeps my head turned the right way and my eyes on the ball. It literally makes you a better pitcher anymore.

God damn fools pitch with no masks on real talk.
Yeah I play league but most people who play tournaments plays league as well. I mostly see people weating protective gear in the tournaments more than league. People criticized me for me saying that masks were excessive. When I originally mentioned excessive gear, I meant the mask, shin guards and chest protection.

Pretty

Softball is cool
Tournament this weekend.....witnessed a fellow pitcher take one off his right cheek bone. I shouldn’t say a pitcher as he normally plays 3rd but they were getting blown out and he pitches in league from time to time and asked to pitch. They even asked if he wanted a mask and he said no. Split wide open and could have put 3 fingers in the opening. Lucky that is all that it resulted in.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
I hope this guy recovers fully without loss of sight or other long-term issues... BUT...

Tournament this weekend.....witnessed a fellow pitcher take one off his right cheek bone. I shouldn’t say a pitcher as he normally plays 3rd but they were getting blown out and he pitches in league from time to time and asked to pitch. They even asked if he wanted a mask and he said no. Split wide open and could have put 3 fingers in the opening. Lucky that is all that it resulted in.

So here's a fresh example -

You saw it, I presume - So, when this guy pitched the ball, did he back up two steps, prepare himself before the hit, move his glove to chest high and intently watch the bat hit the ball?

Or did he do like so many and just stand there expecting the batter to avoid hitting the ball at him???

His first mistake was stepping into the box when he DOES NOT normally pitch in tournaments...

I suspect his second mistake was not preparing for the ball to come back up the middle...

While I think that the bats have become way too hot and the balls are kept too hard so that it is much easier to hit home runs -- -- I also think that way too many pitchers are lackadaisical about protecting themselves on the mound like they should -- -- both situations contribute to the problem of pitcher injuries...

%%%

blakcherry329

Yeah I play league but most people who play tournaments plays league as well. I mostly see people weating protective gear in the tournaments more than league. People criticized me for me saying that masks were excessive. When I originally mentioned excessive gear, I meant the mask, shin guards and chest protection.
Well which part would you deem excessive? Whatever gear a pitcher feels he needs to wear to be safe is just the right amount of gear, imo. The helmet/mask is a must, no argument. Everything else is up to the individual.
I wear a LAX helmet and, sometimes, shinguards. Chest protector is overkill, imo, but to each his own. You'll be a better pitcher if you feel like you're adequately protected.

Toad_1

I can't hit

If this is referencing the incident at Turf Wars, I know exactly what you are mentioning.

D.G. should have, in retrospect, been wearing a helmet, especially against a primarily unlimited arch team and his own lack of tournament pitching experience. J.B. is a very good hitter and hits extremely hard. This combined with the rain soaked turf made for this accident.

I was amazed by a couple things: The sound of the ball hitting his cheek and the immediate blood flow. The very quick response of the umpire to shout for medical attention from the spectators and staff. How quickly the first aid was administered. The fact that D.G. was very aware of everything going on and staying coherent through it all. (I was near the opposing bench and ran immediately for my first aid bag to assist. I just wanted to give a quick mention that Travis C. did a heck of a job taking care of the first aid.)

The cut was probably 2 inches across and down to the bone. His eye was partially swollen shut, but he said he could still see. I hope he doesn't have nerve damage, as hit skin on the cheek was drooping, even with the swelling. Since his departure in the ambulance I haven't heard of anything regarding his condition.

Wear your protection pitchers. It only takes one such accident, witnessed or experienced, to live in your mind and life forever.

Pretty

Softball is cool
If this is referencing the incident at Turf Wars, I know exactly what you are mentioning.

D.G. should have, in retrospect, been wearing a helmet, especially against a primarily unlimited arch team and his own lack of tournament pitching experience. J.B. is a very good hitter and hits extremely hard. This combined with the rain soaked turf made for this accident.

I was amazed by a couple things: The sound of the ball hitting his cheek and the immediate blood flow. The very quick response of the umpire to shout for medical attention from the spectators and staff. How quickly the first aid was administered. The fact that D.G. was very aware of everything going on and staying coherent through it all. (I was near the opposing bench and ran immediately for my first aid bag to assist. I just wanted to give a quick mention that Travis C. did a heck of a job taking care of the first aid.)

The cut was probably 2 inches across and down to the bone. His eye was partially swollen shut, but he said he could still see. I hope he doesn't have nerve damage, as hit skin on the cheek was drooping, even with the swelling. Since his departure in the ambulance I haven't heard of anything regarding his condition.

Wear your protection pitchers. It only takes one such accident, witnessed or experienced, to live in your mind and life forever.
Yes, Mr Golden.

Pretty

Softball is cool
I hope this guy recovers fully without loss of sight or other long-term issues... BUT...

So here's a fresh example -

You saw it, I presume - So, when this guy pitched the ball, did he back up two steps, prepare himself before the hit, move his glove to chest high and intently watch the bat hit the ball?

Or did he do like so many and just stand there expecting the batter to avoid hitting the ball at him???

His first mistake was stepping into the box when he DOES NOT normally pitch in tournaments...

I suspect his second mistake was not preparing for the ball to come back up the middle...

While I think that the bats have become way too hot and the balls are kept too hard so that it is much easier to hit home runs -- -- I also think that way too many pitchers are lackadaisical about protecting themselves on the mound like they should -- -- both situations contribute to the problem of pitcher injuries...

%%%

it was more of lack of experience and being ready to field the position.

Tactical

Nobody in my league uses them. I've seen a couple hard shots up the middle come close but haven't seen anyone actually nailed in the face/head yet. Have seen a couple guys take middle liners off the shin though. Looks and sounds painful enough that I'd consider wearing leg guards if I pitched.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Nobody in my league uses them. I've seen a couple hard shots up the middle come close but haven't seen anyone actually nailed in the face/head yet.

Someone will eventually take one to the face, then EVERYONE will wear one. People don't seem to be smart enough to be proactive, they need to witness some carnage firsthand before they clue in.

blakcherry329

Someone will eventually take one to the face, then EVERYONE will wear one. People don't seem to be smart enough to be proactive, they need to witness some carnage firsthand before they clue in.
I was watching a game and both pitchers were sans masks. Everyone knows people have died or got really hurt. Just being macho. I don't get it.