Underrated bat alert (L8)

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I have no clue if anyone here still swings the L8. I got one for free a few years ago and I use it as a BP bat. This is basically the last version of the CV-12 Easton ever made. It's a one piece, short barrel, endloaded bat. It has a composite inner sleeve.

The bat is unbelievably hot. It destroys .52s better than probably any other metal bat I've tried. I had multiple 380'+ shots with it yesterday. I have a wide variety of other metal bats for BP, and the L8 hits laps around them all.

For those of you who play metal bat leagues, the L8 is very much worth a look. When league starts back up I'm going to try the L8. Personally I think this bat hangs with composites very easily.

Last edited:

Rooster210

P-Pumpah #1
have they actually sold for that..smh

was on the book, said sold after tons of comments praising them. I seen 3 move in the last year all priced higher than 160 if i remember correctly which was nuts bc I remember the L8 being less than 100.

Last edited:

bigcam406

Addicted to Softballfans
i have the whole CV12 line from 2010-2014. absolutely love them all. i used a L8 last week for BP off my tee using 52's in 50 degree weather and it absolutely murdered them. a friend of mine traded me another L8 for a Miken MV1 that he wanted for his son. that was a no brainer. the best thing about them is they're still legal to use with the UTRIP stamp in my league, and i bring it out to games once in awhile. team mates laugh when i tell them its just an aluminum Easton, but the look on their faces when the ball is sailing over a 300ft fence is priceless.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
i have the whole CV12 line from 2010-2014. absolutely love them all. i used a L8 last week for BP off my tee using 52's in 50 degree weather and it absolutely murdered them. a friend of mine traded me another L8 for a Miken MV1 that he wanted for his son. that was a no brainer. the best thing about them is they're still legal to use with the UTRIP stamp in my league, and i bring it out to games once in awhile. team mates laugh when i tell them its just an aluminum Easton, but the look on their faces when the ball is sailing over a 300ft fence is priceless.

I have the white CV12 as well as the original black/gray one. IMO the L8 hits better than both. They all work surprisingly well on .52s.

bigcam406

Addicted to Softballfans
Totally agree. The black and silver one is most durable. The white ones were hotter especially with 44 375's and the Salvo multi wall and L8's were the hottest. Love using them for BP during the season.

bigcam406

Addicted to Softballfans
How does the L5 compare?
i have the red '14 version of the L5 with approx 1500 hits on it and the performance between the 2 is similar. i find the L8 hits 52's better just by a bit, but the L5 hits the harder stuff a tad better than the L8. Ive always said that the line of multiwall bats that Easton produced from 2010-14 were the most under-rated bats i have ever seen.

bigcam406

Addicted to Softballfans
great price for a great BP bat that will hit anything without worrying about breaking. Team mate bought one last season, and after breaking it in with a few hundred Gold Dots, it hit the 52's really well.

bigcam406

Addicted to Softballfans
having limited experience hitting Grey Dots, i can only summize that the L5 would be a better fit using such a hard ball like the Grey Dot.

dunkky

how does L3 asa stand against the ones mentioned here? I swung my friend's L3, oh my, bat is scud missile launcher against 52s. it's got a very small crack on one side too.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
how does L3 asa stand against the ones mentioned here? I swung my friend's L3, oh my, bat is scud missile launcher against 52s. it's got a very small crack on one side too.

I've actually never swung an L3. I do have the Smash it team edition ASA though, which is basically the same bat. Solid performer.

I have a couple L4s and L6s for ASA.

dunkky

The green SP14L3 bats are one of my favorite bats :D

I ain't gonna lie, That green one felt so good when hit right. If i have to pick one bat for asa, it would be 17 xxl. but it will be a tough call between that and 14l3.

I have a couple L4s and L6s for ASA.

yeah, i swung l4 border battle. excellent bat, but that L3 was pretty damn good.

what's the difference between l3 and l6, they look the same, specs are same.

arther itis

payin' to get paid
I ain't gonna lie, That green one felt so good when hit right. If i have to pick one bat for asa, it would be 17 xxl. but it will be a tough call between that and 14l3.

yeah, i swung l4 border battle. excellent bat, but that L3 was pretty damn good.

what's the difference between l3 and l6, they look the same, specs are same.

the SP14L4 & SP14L6 dont have the CXN piece while the SP14L3 does

lGm4RV7.jpg

Hiltz

Built for comfort
L3 - 2 piece, IMX barrel, SIC handle

L4 - 1 piece, IMX barrel, SIC handle

L6 - 1 piece, IMX barrel, IMX handle

Same performance across the board, slightly different feel.

The all IMX L5 and L6 were advertised as "budget models" and retailed for way less. I actually prefered my L5 to my L1 when I swung them, I liked the stiffer feel.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
L3 - 2 piece, IMX barrel, SIC handle

L4 - 1 piece, IMX barrel, SIC handle

L6 - 1 piece, IMX barrel, IMX handle

Same performance across the board, slightly different feel.

The all IMX L5 and L6 were advertised as "budget models" and retailed for way less. I actually prefered my L5 to my L1 when I swung them, I liked the stiffer feel.

I'm probably in the minority, but I loved Easton's IMX models. The bats could take a long time to break in, but they're super durable. They just aren't made for bad hitters. You need a little bat speed to make the bat work.

You could also get 2000+ swings out of these bats before they'd even come close to failing compression. Maybe more.

dunkky

i don't know all these technology behind. all i know is that when hitting the ball 52s with a well broken in L3, it sounded awesome and felt great.

I recently obtained OG Omega endload, that thing felt close to full oz endload, but right now, both barrel and handle are stiff as hell. I am gonna see after a few hundred of cuts, how it turns out. I expect it to be no less than any other hot bats out there.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I'm probably in the minority, but I loved Easton's IMX models. The bats could take a long time to break in, but they're super durable. They just aren't made for bad hitters. You need a little bat speed to make the bat work.

The only people I've ever known to really like oldschool Eastons are guys that truly swing hard. I've never seen a wrist-flicker do well with a pre-'17.

i don't know all these technology behind. all i know is that when hitting the ball 52s with a well broken in L3, it sounded awesome and felt great.

The key is "well broken in". So many people gave up on the older Eastons waaay too early. It was always common to see them on clearance the year they came out, then command a premium on the used market a year or two later.