ASA Rule Interpretation or Judgement Call

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
R1 on 3rd base, R2 on 1st base with no outs. Right handed B3 hits a smash down the first base line which hits the base (there is no safety base) and bounces into foul territory. PU calls "Foul Ball". Is this a judgement call or a misapplication of a rule? Is it correctable? If its correctable how would you correct it?

Misapplication, all the bases are in fair territory and thus when struck by a batted ball, the call is arm and hand pointing toward the interior of the diamond, fair ball. Where the ball continues is a live ball unless it enters a dead ball area established before game started with both coaches.

can’t penalize the offensive team for a well struck, fair ball. I would award the batter with first base and runner on third scores, runner on second advances to second. Since there is no reference to a fielder chasing down the ball and potentially having a play for an out I would consider this a fair ruling.

the second paragraph is my correction. But somehow the base ump has to conference with the plate ump, who is considered the lead umpire or umpire of record and have him to change his impulsive and incorrect, foul ball call.

fthrmulcahy

The Veteran
I would need one clarification. Did the plate umpire say the ball hit the base, or is he saying the ball missed it? (I know you said it hit the base.) If the umpire is saying the ball missed the base then it is a judgment call. If he’s saying it hit the base but it’s foul anyway it’s an incorrect rule interpretation.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
The batter hit a seed...it struck the base and bounced foul...the plate umpire yells "foul ball!!!" There is no doubt the ball hit the base, otherwise it would have ended up another 210' down the line.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
I was the base umpire on this play. In my opinion, this is not a judgement call. This is a misapplication of a rule. I immediately went to my partner to discuss why he made the foul call. The first thing he said to me was "the ball hit the base" to which I replied "I know". He then said "I called it foul" to which I replied "I know". He then said "what do we do". This isn't like a fly ball down the right field line that lands 6" fair and the umpire calls it foul...this batted ball smashed first base and bounced foul. So, I "fixed" it. I placed the batter/runner at 1st base, Advanced R2, and left R1 at 3rd base. Explained that to the coaches and with a few minor grumblings play resumed.

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans
This would be irritating as a player for sure and I've seen this with one umpire working and nothing can be done.. I've even seen the umpire say well the part of the bag it hit was foul to cover himself. I don't understand why you would leave R1 on 3rd base though.

I would have judged whether there would have potentially been a play anywhere and if so would have let foul ball stand. Being that it was clear that there was no play anywhere defensively I would have place Batter at first and advanced each runner a base and play on.

I can't justify leaving R1 at 3B.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
This would be irritating as a player for sure and I've seen this with one umpire working and nothing can be done.. I've even seen the umpire say well the part of the bag it hit was foul to cover himself. I don't understand why you would leave R1 on 3rd base though.

I would have judged whether there would have potentially been a play anywhere and if so would have let foul ball stand. Being that it was clear that there was no play anywhere defensively I would have place Batter at first and advanced each runner a base and play on.

I can't justify leaving R1 at 3B.

The runner at 3rd base wasn't forced which is why I left him there.

lb16

the natural
I was the base umpire on this play. In my opinion, this is not a judgement call. This is a misapplication of a rule. I immediately went to my partner to discuss why he made the foul call. The first thing he said to me was "the ball hit the base" to which I replied "I know". He then said "I called it foul" to which I replied "I know". He then said "what do we do". This isn't like a fly ball down the right field line that lands 6" fair and the umpire calls it foul...this batted ball smashed first base and bounced foul. So, I "fixed" it. I placed the batter/runner at 1st base, Advanced R2, and left R1 at 3rd base. Explained that to the coaches and with a few minor grumblings play resumed.
Question is why is this guy umpiring and doesn't know batted ball striking bag is a fair ball? And in my opinion to rectify I would have put runners where i thought they would have ended up if this umpire hadn't made this BASIC call incorrect.

ureout

The Veteran
I agree with IB16 ... I'd advance runners to where in my judgment they could have advanced had the bad call not been made

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
My main point in this thread is that too many umpires say you can't "unring" the foul ball bell...I think this is a case where you can. And yes, the plate umpire was in a game he shouldn't have been in...he made 3 "out/safe" calls on one batted ball.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Under the rules of the game there is wide latitude on what to do in cases such as this. Everyone brainfarts from time to time. Personally I would have scored the run from 3rd, but can understand why you did not.