When a pitcher pitches from further back

Danh1265

IDK but for whatever reason when the pitcher pitches from further back i have a much harder time loading and hitting for power . Seems I can zone in better the closer the pitcher is. I'll still get my hits but they're usually singles up the middle and such. Seems like the pitch coming from further away throws a monkey wrench into my power game. Anyone else have this problem ?

I'm a pitcher myself so knowing my own tendencies, when I get a batter 1-2 I move 3,4' further back

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
It's another way to change the speed and angle. The difference between a 10' pitch with the back foot on the rubber that just catches the back of the zone and a 6' pitch with the front foot 6' behind the rubber that just gets over the plate (Yes I know this second pitch is not a strike but most umpires will give it) is dramatic.

I believe its coming in at around 5 MPH..cant u just adjust

I’ve attached a response that I submitted to an earlier thread related to the actual speed of slow pitch softball from approx 50-55’

As to the speed of the slow pitch softball using ASA rules, perceptive arc of minimum of 6' and maximum of 12' the speed from a pitching box 50 - 60 feet is approx 25 mph. Documentation below, hope this helps everyone.

During the 2002 ASA National Tournament in Montgomery, AL, an extensive field study[4,5] of bat swing speed and bat performance was conducted. The data from this field study, along with other concurrent laboratory studies[6,7] revealed that all of the assumptions made in the F1890-98 test standard were incorrect.

Actual pitched-ball speeds for the game of slow-pitch softball were found to be around 25-mph (not 10-mph).

rmp0012002

Addicted to Softballfans
I believe in ASA the pitcher must start his motion on the rubber and cannot stop once he begins, USSSA is a different animal with all the juking that goes on.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I believe in ASA the pitcher must start his motion on the rubber and cannot stop once he begins, USSSA is a different animal with all the juking that goes on.
ASA has a pitcher's box, the pivot foot must be in contact with or directly behind the pitcher's plate up to 6 feet. The same rule applies to USSSA at level B and below. USSSA Major, AA, A and all games at Conference events the pitcher must be in contact with the plate when the pitch is released. Walking starts are against the rules in both associations.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
ASA has a pitcher's box, the pivot foot must be in contact with or directly behind the pitcher's plate up to 6 feet. The same rule applies to USSSA at level B and below. USSSA Major, AA, A and all games at Conference events the pitcher must be in contact with the plate when the pitch is released. Walking starts are against the rules in both associations.

You are thinking maybe Seniors? The 2020 rule book, Rule 6,3,E, says, "The pivot foot shall remain in contact with the pitcher's plate until the pitched ball leaves the hand."
Seniors says the pitcher may take a position from the front edge of the pitcher's plate to ten feet behind the pitcher's plate within the 24 inch width of the pitcher's plate with both feet firmly on the ground.

dunno

the further back, the longer one can take to eyeball the pitch imo and if more speed, more rebound!
as long as its in the strike zone let the fireworks begin

blakcherry329

It's slow pitch. Anything you can do to stay off the sweet spot. It probably won't bother the good hitters, but you might be able to stay out of big innings by mixing it up a bit. Doesn't matter how slow it's coming in, the difference in distance will throw the timing off a bit if you aren't focused. Couple that with a little movement on the ball, i.e. knuckleball or a curve, and it just gives the batter another thing to process on the way to the plate.

Pitching from further back is a defensive advantage if the pitcher can throw strikes, more process time to field a sharply hit ball and also if he has enough agility to cover second base all the infield can play deeper and make the easy force out at second base.

On the the flip side, every pitch that comes into the batter has an increase in speed and is also flatter making this a better pitch to hit on both fronts, speed of pitch and less severity of arc (can’t argue with physics) I like it when a pitcher is further back for exactly these two reasons. The hitters that let this change in pitching distance bother them are typically psyching themselves out of their own comfort zone or simply have not had any BP or real game experience hitting the longer, flatter, and slightly faster pitched ball.

Others on here have already made the comment that they make the pitcher throw them a strike, I would agree because with the least bit of wind along with the increased distance your chances of getting “your pitch” grooved to you are increased significantly.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pitching from further back is a defensive advantage if the pitcher can throw strikes, more process time to field a sharply hit ball and also if he has enough agility to cover second base all the infield can play deeper and make the easy force out at second base.

On the the flip side, every pitch that comes into the batter has an increase in speed and is also flatter making this a better pitch to hit on both fronts, speed of pitch and less severity of arc (can’t argue with physics) I like it when a pitcher is further back for exactly these two reasons. The hitters that let this change in pitching distance bother them are typically psyching themselves out of their own comfort zone or simply have not had any BP or real game experience hitting the longer, flatter, and slightly faster pitched ball.

Others on here have already made the comment that they make the pitcher throw them a strike, I would agree because with the least bit of wind along with the increased distance your chances of getting “your pitch” grooved to you are increased significantly.
I think you're forgetting how wind resistance changes a ball's flight on it's way to the plate. The parabola isn't symmetrical when viewed from The side, and the height of the pitch has more effect on how steep the balls decent is. The increased speed of a few feet doesn't flatten it that much.

Now, a lot of pitchers have a problem throwing a higher strike from that difference, so that might be the issue. You might just see more flat pitches because of that.

It’s slow pitch. Stop over thinking this

hope your comment isn't directed towards me, I've tried to simplify for those that might struggle, not overthink. I'll say once again, i think it is even easier for the batter

I think you're forgetting how wind resistance changes a ball's flight on it's way to the plate. The parabola isn't symmetrical when viewed from The side, and the height of the pitch has more effect on how steep the balls decent is. The increased speed of a few feet doesn't flatten it that much.

Now, a lot of pitchers have a problem throwing a higher strike from that difference, so that might be the issue. You might just see more flat pitches because of that.

I posted earlier 6/17, reference that post for speed of pitched softball. As to the height of the pitch, because the distance is increased by approx 10’ any pitch that reaches same height as a pitched ball from 10’ less will in fact be both flatter and faster, based on math and physics. Any difference in Wind resistance would be negligible

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
hope your comment isn't directed towards me, I've tried to simplify for those that might struggle, not overthink. I'll say once again, i think it is even easier for the batter

I posted earlier 6/17, reference that post for speed of pitched softball. As to the height of the pitch, because the distance is increased by approx 10’ any pitch that reaches same height as a pitched ball from 10’ less will in fact be both flatter and faster, based on math and physics. Any difference in Wind resistance would be negligible

And I'm saying i don't agree with your claim that its a noticeable difference. Your reference says the pitches are all around 25 mph, so an increase of 1-2 mph yields what? A .02% decrease in the angle of descent? People think they're observing something, but i believe it's almost completely a placebo.

r8dr_rider

I’m just saying this game is meant for the batter to hit the ball. Have you heard of the term “they just threw you a softball?” This isn’t baseball where a .300 hitter is considered an HOFer. The pitcher can pitch at 20 feet or 200 feet, it’s a slow arched pitch. it’s not a 100mph fastball.

And I'm saying i don't agree with your claim that its a noticeable difference. Your reference says the pitches are all around 25 mph, so an increase of 1-2 mph yields what? A .02% decrease in the angle of descent? People think they're observing something, but i believe it's almost completely a placebo.

this response to both jbo911 and r8dr_rider

my initial reason for posting (back in June and most recently) was to "remove the stigma" from the minds of some lesser ability players that complained of the change in pitching distance and relative flight of the ball differences, to try to explain to them that the pitch, in fact, is easier to hit, and hit with more force. Whether or not the flight of the ball is noticeable or not, it is still flatter and slightly faster which favors the hitter. Not here to argue, just help others with factual information.

r8dr_rider

my initial reason for posting (back in June and most recently) was to "remove the stigma" from the minds of some lesser ability players that complained of the change in pitching distance and relative flight of the ball differences, to try to explain to them that the pitch, in fact, is easier to hit, and hit with more force. Whether or not the flight of the ball is noticeable or not, it is still flatter and slightly faster which favors the hitter. Not here to argue, just help others with factual information.

I hear ya. I honestly don’t even notice where the pitcher is standing. When on deck I look at arch and where the ball lands. Also if the blue is calling flat or too high. I’m normally lead off but dropped myself so I can read the pitcher. I’m a better batter now.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

Since this keeps coming back i just want to add that easier to hit isn't a fact, it's an opinion. What's easier for me might very well be harder for you. I do agree that flatter pitches are easier to hit for most people.

r8dr_rider

Since this keeps coming back i just want to add that easier to hit isn't a fact, it's an opinion. What's easier for me might very well be harder for you. I do agree that flatter pitches are easier to hit for most people.
So true. I love high outside pitches due to my swing. My teammate loves the low inside due to his uppercut swing. Everyone is different