This place used to be the bomb.

Cotter8

We landed on the moon!
Haven't been on here in years, just figured out my password and this is the thread I land on. And man, this brings back alot of great memories. I was around at that time...first came on here to promote some benefit tourneys for a friend of mine and got hooked. Bought and sold (is the G2G still a thing?), made some friends, raised some $ for my own World's co-ed team, stumbled on a Superdraft tourney in Arizona (was one of only 3 women to play and got to meet and play against some of the Majors which was pretty cool) and did the Secret Santa a few times. Fell off (on?) the wagon after I destroyed my knees from playing so much but I wouldn't trade those obsessive years for anything!

dunkky

Nothing stays pure... it's the course of nature... lol this site was special. trading, buying, selling were all reasonable. bat review was pure. People helped with newbies who want to improve their swing and game.

NOW, it's been taken over by bat reviewers from youtube. They rank and then here comes the facebook gang hyping up the bat and driving the price insane. no one cares about mechanic anymore but cares everything about next hottest bat hoping it will fix their $2 swing.

I am not finger pointing at the reviewers, they are simple doing their job and great job they are doing it except a few biased ones with their name on the bat from M. It's the lunatics from facebook using it to market the bats they bought in batch with no intention of swinging them.

It went from purely educational/social to revenue generating platform.

Cotter8

We landed on the moon!
Nothing stays pure... it's the course of nature... lol this site was special. trading, buying, selling were all reasonable. bat review was pure. People helped with newbies who want to improve their swing and game.

NOW, it's been taken over by bat reviewers from youtube. They rank and then here comes the facebook gang hyping up the bat and driving the price insane. no one cares about mechanic anymore but cares everything about next hottest bat hoping it will fix their $2 swing.

I am not finger pointing at the reviewers, they are simple doing their job and great job they are doing it except a few biased ones with their name on the bat from M. It's the lunatics from facebook using it to market the bats they bought in batch with no intention of swinging them.

It went from purely educational/social to revenue generating platform.
Well now you've gone ahead and made my walk down memory lane all depressing-like.

Kidding...kidding! (sort of haha)

I haven't stayed up on the bat sitch. I probably have one legal bat of what's left of what I owned. But it makes me sad to hear how much it's changed. I always used to joke that if you give your grandmother a $300 bat, it's not going to help her swing. Like you said, it's all about the mechanics. Mechanics first. Then invest!

Cotter8

We landed on the moon!
Classic!

@Sonic625 - did you run or help run the SS🎅 program years ago? That was a good time and well organized. I think I enjoyed shopping for my SS more than whatever I was going to get!

Last edited:

Sonic625

An Admin
Staff member
Classic!

@Sonic625 - did you run or help run the SS🎅 program years ago? That was a good time and well organized. I think I enjoyed shopping for my SS more than whatever I was going to get!
Yep, it ran for many years and then I got a new job and my free time became less so I stopped for a couple of years and no one volunteered to keep it going. I tried a few years back and only had 4 signups so I canceled it.

Cotter8

We landed on the moon!
Yep, it ran for many years and then I got a new job and my free time became less so I stopped for a couple of years and no one volunteered to keep it going. I tried a few years back and only had 4 signups so I canceled it.
Understood. And can't blame you. FWIW, great job and fun while it lasted!

BSBR

Starting Player
I'll agree it was excessive at times and very few members help people constructively like they once did. But i seriously doubt that a handful of harsh members has slow the site to the current pace its at. Younger generations just aren't the same for the most part and softball participation is down just about everywhere in the country. That and equipment is so similar performance wise now days. Plus everyone is on tiktok or the gram etc watching videos all day instead of board lurking
I think a handful of members that want to tell every person how stupid their question is, demean them for asking it and generally being assholes will drive new members off. Why would any of the "new generation" want to be active on a board that you can only asked joker and country approved questions. People being helpful and insightful are what grow a board. If someone wants to ask about a for sale post from '09, the responses shouldn't be "you're an idiot." They should be, "if you are interested in this bat, you can find it here", or "I have one i'd sell, collectin dust in my garage", or "That bat was good in the day, but is not very good compared to todays bat, is there a reason you want it?" Being ****s to some 18 year old kid that just started, or a guy that's been out of the game for 10 years is not going to make anyone want to stay on this forum or recommend it to anyone.

Harry

Addicted to Softballfans
Haven't been on here in years, just figured out my password and this is the thread I land on. And man, this brings back alot of great memories. I was around at that time...first came on here to promote some benefit tourneys for a friend of mine and got hooked. Bought and sold (is the G2G still a thing?), made some friends, raised some $ for my own World's co-ed team, stumbled on a Superdraft tourney in Arizona (was one of only 3 women to play and got to meet and play against some of the Majors which was pretty cool) and did the Secret Santa a few times. Fell off (on?) the wagon after I destroyed my knees from playing so much but I wouldn't trade those obsessive years for anything!
Nothing but fond memories here and Max Johnson's old Northeast Softball board. Both forums added so much to the softball experience and improved my game. The sh*t talking and meetups were the best.

blakcherry329

Participation Trophy mentality. If you meet any kind of adversity just turn and run instead of dealing with it.
It's not like the whole forum gangs up on stupid members that ask questions. It's a few people that like to call out stupidity when they see it. If that's enough to make someone not stay at a forum, that says more about them, than the forum, imo.

Cotter8

We landed on the moon!
Nothing but fond memories here and Max Johnson's old Northeast Softball board. Both forums added so much to the softball experience and improved my game. The sh*t talking and meetups were the best.
Right...I forgot about the meetups. I remember being asked to some BP sessions. And the Northeast group was legit family. I remember the first fundraiser for my friend, it rained cats and dogs but a bunch of us showed up crazy early to sweep all the water off the fields, drop dry sand or whatever it was at the time and make sure the tourney went on. I saw another group of guys who met on here come together to form a team for men's E Worlds (and they bought my shirts that I was selling to raise funds for my own co-ed team to wear down there).

Last edited:

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Participation Trophy mentality. If you meet any kind of adversity just turn and run instead of dealing with it.
It's not like the whole forum gangs up on stupid members that ask questions. It's a few people that like to call out stupidity when they see it. If that's enough to make someone not stay at a forum, that says more about them, than the forum, imo.
When the forum is owned my a retail establishment, all of that goes out the window. Besides, everyone draws the line somewhere different. Condoning that type of behavior just encourages it to escalate.

For every person that came in here bragging about how good they were only to run away when one if those guys attacked them, two decent people just left or never came back because they didn't want to put up with it. Just because you want to talk smack doesn't mean everyone wants to. The forum couldn't be all things to all people, but people shouldn't have to endure harassment just because you're fine with it.

blakcherry329

When the forum is owned my a retail establishment, all of that goes out the window. Besides, everyone draws the line somewhere different. Condoning that type of behavior just encourages it to escalate.

For every person that came in here bragging about how good they were only to run away when one if those guys attacked them, two decent people just left or never came back because they didn't want to put up with it. Just because you want to talk smack doesn't mean everyone wants to. The forum couldn't be all things to all people, but people shouldn't have to endure harassment just because you're fine with it.
Um, ok. Not sure what you mean, but whatever. I don't talk smack on here on a regular basis. Actually, I don't think I do at all, but I digress.

I'm ok with anything on the site because nothing on the internet can get me upset enough to leave a softball site. I've had my run ins with Country and Joker, who hasn't? But WGAF? I went back and forth to kill time. I really don't care enough to get upset. It's a softball site. I don't even get mad on the field, why would I get mad online? But, like you said, that's just me.
People are sometimes unwilling to accept responsibility for asking an idiotic question. If you ask a stupid question you should expect some level of backlash in a public forum. Instead of leaving the forum because a few people like to call you a dumbass for asking which bat is the best for hitting line drives, think about what you asked and maybe try to do better. Don't leave because they hurt your feelings. That's what I mean by Participation Trophy mentality.

Your point might have more merit if more than a few people verbally abused stupid questions. I think more people say ignore the aholes than the number of aholes doing the abusing.

If you're in a public forum, can you expect everyone to play nice 24/7? And, like you said, everyone has a different line of demarcation for what they deem unacceptable. But, I really don't think that Joker, Country, et al, are the main or even a major reason this site has changed. It's a complex answer to that question.

blakcherry329

Right...I forgot about the meetups. I remember being asked to some BP sessions. And the Northeast group was legit family. I remember the first fundraiser for my friend, it rained cats and dogs but a bunch of us showed up crazy early to sweep all the water off the fields, drop dry sand or whatever it was at the time and make sure the tourney went on. I saw another group of guys who met on here come together to form a team for men's E Worlds (and they bought my shirts that I was selling to raise funds for my own co-ed team to wear down there).
Yep, The NJ Free agent thread was going like a stock ticker back in the day. Every few days we had to start another thread cuz it reached the limit from all the **** talking. lol
I still wear my SBF NJ tshirt from 2011. We had them made for a tournament in Lakewood, NJ. We met on this forum and stayed friends ever since. We don't see each other a lot, but when we do, at tournaments or leagues, it's business as usual.
Fond memories, indeed.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Um, ok. Not sure what you mean, but whatever. I don't talk smack on here on a regular basis. Actually, I don't think I do at all, but I digress.

I'm ok with anything on the site because nothing on the internet can get me upset enough to leave a softball site. I've had my run ins with Country and Joker, who hasn't? But WGAF? I went back and forth to kill time. I really don't care enough to get upset. It's a softball site. I don't even get mad on the field, why would I get mad online? But, like you said, that's just me.
People are sometimes unwilling to accept responsibility for asking an idiotic question. If you ask a stupid question you should expect some level of backlash in a public forum. Instead of leaving the forum because a few people like to call you a dumbass for asking which bat is the best for hitting line drives, think about what you asked and maybe try to do better. Don't leave because they hurt your feelings. That's what I mean by Participation Trophy mentality.

Your point might have more merit if more than a few people verbally abused stupid questions. I think more people say ignore the aholes than the number of aholes doing the abusing.

If you're in a public forum, can you expect everyone to play nice 24/7? And, like you said, everyone has a different line of demarcation for what they deem unacceptable. But, I really don't think that Joker, Country, et al, are the main or even a major reason this site has changed. It's a complex answer to that question.

The reason what's the best asa bat is a joke is because it brought all of the old members here. It was an annoying question, but also one we all asked.

This isn't a one to one equation. Country and joker are the ones everyone mentions, but they don't remember all the downstream issues those two caused. Every one of their comments led to a showdown, right or wrong, and it also led to dozens more answering every question like a douche. It just started the out douche each other Olympics.

The part I hated was all the self righteous people calling me biased because they thought I had 48 hours a day to read every single thing the two of them wrote. God forbid I commented two pages later in a thread where joker called some guy an idiot and then asked says guy to settle down.

There are tens of thousands of banned members, I think it's North of 50,000. It was more ridiculous at it's height than you could imagine, and every day it was, "are we giving joker a timeout if he says x,y, or z or banning this time?"

Bow Commander

A combination of Facebook taking over, and a lack of moderation on the two forum assholes who run rampant, has killed this place.

I wouldn't discount the effect the pandemic has had on slopitch softball in general. All of the leagues in my city had their complete 2020 season wiped out, and many had only half a normal season of games in 2021 or didn't play at all for a second season. During that layoff, a lot of people I played with/against decided to retire from the game -- people who I know would have kept playing had that layoff not occurred. The company rec league I played in for 10 years decided to fold last October for lack of interest and lack of dollars.

I've even noticed a change in myself; I used to LIVE for the next BP Hero youtube video up until the end of 2019. Still like to watch but it's not MUST SEE anymore. So when this site was unreachable for days, I really thought it was gone for good......

herts9

SEMI-RETIRED LEGEND
I think the old heads ran off too much young blood. The rules came too late imo. Social media landscapes change fast, and they never cared to choose an identity. The older members policed this place in the 03s, but when the next generation came along they just **** on new members and ran them off, then called them soft.

Getting rid of the shaved bat section was the one choice mgt made that had an immediate and large enough to notice effect, but people want to pretend that's not true. They'd have to admit how much cheating is in this game if they did.

I blame you entirely.

And pitbulls.

dunkky

guys, this forum is for the people from all level. this is no different than any other subject matter. when you don't know, you don't know. I've seen grown men doesn't know simple algebra, is that something to be embarrassed or expected. in a way, yes, but not for everyone. My father doesn't know it, because he never learned or took formal education. raised entire his life as a farmer, went through many wars during his life time. Softball is same ****. if you never played and just learning things, nothing is stupid or dumb. Don't generalize everything and expect everyone to have what you call common sense, cuz that's not common sense to everyone when it comes to learning a new **** you have no clue about. it's called growing process..

BSBR

Starting Player
I dont understand why someone asking a "stupid" question is an issue to some people. If you think it's stupid, why even comment? Move on, ignore the post. Why tell the person,, that question was answered back in 2001 on this board, why don't you search you idiot. Maybe **** has changed since 2001, maybe the person wants a current opinion on the question. That's the ****ty thing about the internet, people are 10x ****tier to one another. If someone asked you face to face, what is the best linedrive bat, most people wouldn't be a **** to that person. They would explain their opinion on it, maybe recommend a bat to the person. Not sure why people have to be ****s on the internet, and on this board. I've been guilty of it, as I'm sure most people have.

blakcherry329

I dont understand why someone asking a "stupid" question is an issue to some people. If you think it's stupid, why even comment? Move on, ignore the post. Why tell the person,, that question was answered back in 2001 on this board, why don't you search you idiot. Maybe **** has changed since 2001, maybe the person wants a current opinion on the question. That's the ****ty thing about the internet, people are 10x ****tier to one another. If someone asked you face to face, what is the best linedrive bat, most people wouldn't be a **** to that person. They would explain their opinion on it, maybe recommend a bat to the person. Not sure why people have to be ****s on the internet, and on this board. I've been guilty of it, as I'm sure most people have.
I'm pretty sure if you ask ANYBODY, face to face, over the phone, or on the internet, what's the best line drive/HR/singles/for hitting the gaps/etc bat, you would get a quick sarcastic response. Like I said, if you're in a public forum, you shouldn't expect everyone to be courteous 24/7. The good far outweighed the bad on here. We mention Joker and Country because those are the names that stick out. There were others, but, again, it wasn't a big number.

Imo, the new rule changes a few years ago and the way things were policed were more of a turn off for me. I dgaf about internet "bullies". Not sure why anyone would. smh
However, because I don't agree with one thing, doesn't make me leave a site if everything else is good.
Sorry, we'll just agree to disagree. I can't wrap my head around letting someone on the internet ruin your experience because they talked mean to you.

Cotter8

We landed on the moon!
I have no problem admitting there were a few members that made me not want to post in certain areas of the forum. So whenever I decided to "dip my toes" into other areas outside of my 'home' (Northeast forum), I chose my words and posts carefully. Back then I could hold my own but also knew just by reading the threads what *not* to do lol. I will say, though, that some of the members that might've appeared to be one of the bullies were super helpful if I pinged them with a question. One on one, they were always respectful and helped if they could. In hindsight, I'd say it was more like a team or teams getting together at a bar after a game...there are going to be those who are heard louder, more often, or pounce on someone just to get a laugh but that's just how it is, group dynamics.

A couple of members who used to post a lot and who I enjoyed learning from: Felks32 (gloves) and TheShoe (bat reviews). They pretty much fell off the SBF forums after 2019. Would be interesting to hear why members like them are no longer active here rather than just us remaining members speculating. Of course, they're gone and hard to ask but I think you get my gist.

I do know people who no longer sell bats here because they can get more profitable sales on FB.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure if you ask ANYBODY, face to face, over the phone, or on the internet, what's the best line drive/HR/singles/for hitting the gaps/etc bat, you would get a quick sarcastic response. Like I said, if you're in a public forum, you shouldn't expect everyone to be courteous 24/7. The good far outweighed the bad on here. We mention Joker and Country because those are the names that stick out. There were others, but, again, it wasn't a big number.

Imo, the new rule changes a few years ago and the way things were policed were more of a turn off for me. I dgaf about internet "bullies". Not sure why anyone would. smh
However, because I don't agree with one thing, doesn't make me leave a site if everything else is good.
Sorry, we'll just agree to disagree. I can't wrap my head around letting someone on the internet ruin your experience because they talked mean to you.
I would 100% give a sarcastic response to the linedrive bat question in person or anywhere. My problem was never with that level. I also held joker to account when he was wrong and he now hates me and calls me a sycophant for the board owners so he's apparently as soft as the people he once criticized. It ebbs and flows.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Yep, The NJ Free agent thread was going like a stock ticker back in the day. Every few days we had to start another thread cuz it reached the limit from all the **** talking. lol
I still wear my SBF NJ tshirt from 2011. We had them made for a tournament in Lakewood, NJ. We met on this forum and stayed friends ever since. We don't see each other a lot, but when we do, at tournaments or leagues, it's business as usual.
Fond memories, indeed.

Nerds!

blakcherry329

I would 100% give a sarcastic response to the linedrive bat question in person or anywhere. My problem was never with that level. I also held joker to account when he was wrong and he now hates me and calls me a sycophant for the board owners so he's apparently as soft as the people he once criticized. It ebbs and flows.
Most bullies are soft.;)

WiLD53

i came in here for one reason... i stayed until i was done... then i left... however, i deleted my thread because country quoted me and changed the quote on a couple of occasions and i got no support from the admins or anybody else... i knew this site was about hitting that's why i never planned on staying... but i didn't expect indifference from some of the people here about some of the things that were said... i came in here to give something away... it would have been nice to have had some support from anyone... :cool:

halter91

Iam91
That board was the best, really fun times. We'd be in the chat room literally all day long just BSing. Buggs, Max Johnson, BeaverJC, Primo, Pylon_00, fun times. Met a lot of good people i still talk to. Met Max a few times in tourny's, actually had Pylon stay at my house for like a week when he was working local. I think facebook caused the biggest downfall, but that's just my opinion.