Recent content by buckster

1. buckster

NSA Walking a guy in coed

I would let your state UIC know they have some umpires improperly enforcing a rule in association-sanctioned tournaments. Or invite the LD to contact your NSA UIC for clarification. http://www.nsanorth.com/Michigan_NSA_-_UMPIRES.html
  2. buckster

ASA ASA illegal pitch ruling

Let's get this straight. A missed call caused you to lose? And you're sure your team did nothing to either cost themselves runs or allow the 1 run to score? I know Irish can certainly rub people the wrong way with his matter-of-fact style, but in this case, like most others, he's right.
  3. buckster

ASA Home run or ground rule double?

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2013_05_16_nynmlb_slnmlb_1&mode=wrap#gid=2013_05_16_nynmlb_slnmlb_1&mode=video Go to "Must C: Curious" for a 3 minute video montage of this same type of play. I know it's MLB, but the ruling on this type of play is universal in any stick & ball game.
  4. buckster

ASA Simultaneously touching a base

Yes, sir! Overanalyzing things is my specialty... Thanks for the clarification!
  5. buckster

ASA Simultaneously touching a base

Once R1 left 3rd, R2 is allowed to occupy that base. If R1 retreats to 3rd while R2 is occupying 3rd, R2 is not under an obligation to relinquish the legally obtained base. Did R2 at any point pass R1? If the answer is no, then the end of the play in the OP should have stood. You can have 2...
  6. buckster

ASA Umpires Position

That is a baseball mechanic.
  7. buckster

Any How do you deal with an umpire like this?

(Local question) Where did this story occur, Ed? Honestly the only thing you can do... is what you did - serve it up, don't argue, and move on. If other teams in your league also find the same fate, someone will do some grumbling to the TD. And if the TD asks her partner(s) about these...
  8. buckster

ASA New ASA Shirts

I still want to buy them. I don't care if they're not real.
  9. buckster

ASA New ASA Shirts

These would have been really handy 2 weeks ago. Nonetheless, I'll probably break down and buy a couple to add to my rainbow of shirts.
  10. buckster

USSSA Subs in the batting lineup (16U FP)

2011 USSSA FP Rules Book Rule 5, Sec. 3 ADDITIONAL PLAYER - Up to two additional players can be used to increase the batting lineup to 10 or 11 batters. The additional player(s) will be placed in the line up in the batting position(s) to be occupied. The additional player(s) can also be...
  11. buckster

ASA National Umpire Schools

I wish very much that I could attend the Grand Rapids school, but my wife is due with our 2nd child on April 12th and I highly doubt I'll be able to attend. It's a shame - even though the instruction is top-notch, the real benefit is for umpires to network and swap stories... and for younger...
  12. buckster

USSSA Ball is in play...

So you were down by 1, with a runner on, and instead of being confident in your ability to string 2 hits together... you decided to let the other team have the opportunity to widen their lead before you came to bat with 3 more outs? It just doesn't make much sense: if you are at the top of your...
  13. buckster

Other 12u fastpitch

I concur with Irish and Deputy. Sounds like someone wants to get bailed out for making a terrible play.
  14. buckster

Any Courtesy Runner Question

And what was Ron's explanation for not allowing a CR? Leaving the umpire's explanation out leads some people on this board to assume you just didn't like it. I know your situation very well :) so I can relate, but you should include that part of the conversation so us umpires can give a more...
  15. buckster

Any Runner on first...

Yes it is.