Recent content by EAJuggalo

1. EAJuggalo

Any Randomly thought of a scenario

USSSA it's a live ball and play on. The only way it's a dead ball is if the umpire judges that the runner contacted the ball intentionally, then the runner is out, the batter is awarded first base and any runners forced to advance do. USSSA rule 8.12.L
  2. EAJuggalo

ASA Ruling

No, by the book, the rule must be enforced. This is what a protest was made for. If the umpire refuses to apply the penalty, the defending team protests and the rule is applied correctly by the UIC. WSL allows the pitching area? I'm going to call the out, then eject you for intentionally...
  3. EAJuggalo

ASA Ruling

USSSA rule 8.5.K covers offense and 8.7.F covers defense and offense. You'll also need to know Rule 3, Blocked ball as both rules reference that.
  4. EAJuggalo

Hard cores are ruining USSSA softball

I don't think the hops are any worse, the crazy hops I've seen with the .52s have all been on the second hop. I'd much rather deal with that than the insane amount of knuckling I see with the ProMs.
  5. EAJuggalo

Other WSL - Extra innings called a draw without a single play being made

To me the biggest issue is that we are still playing once the time limit runs out. My view is that it should have ended in a tie once the inning ended after the time limit with the score still tied. Two recommendations that would fix this. Let it end in a tie, or give the visiting team a half...
  6. EAJuggalo

ASA Ruling

In USSSA if a live ball hits someone from the offensive team or their equipment not allowed to be on the field by rule, i.e. anyone other than a runner, base coach, on deck batter or the bat just used by the batter. It is a blocked ball, dead ball and the runner nearest to home is called out...
  7. EAJuggalo

USSSA 1B fielder catches ball in front of BR, ump calls obstruction?

The fielder has an absolute right to field a batted ball. Anything else and it is the responsibility of the fielder to be out of the way of the runner unless they have the ball. Since the OP involved a throw, it's on the fielder to not obstruct without the ball. If the fielders positioning...
  8. EAJuggalo

USSSA A few odd ball plays this weekend

Where do you live and who is the director? If I ask the question at the start of the tournament, "Anything not in these rules is governed by national rules, right?" And am told yes, then if the director comes over and tries to change my call, he can have my hat too and finish the game himself...
  9. EAJuggalo

Minnesota Thread

I've got my first tournament in WI on Saturday. Playing from 8am until 10pm in Mauston, turf fields at least. Then I'll be making a stop in Rosemount for the 9-5 on the 13th.
  10. EAJuggalo

Hard cores are ruining USSSA softball

DV was the bad batch of balls for all formulations. 2022 the teams were begging to use the EC ProM's being hit in the C rather than the DV Stadiums for the Men's Major. There are still a number of boxes of the DVs out there, I know Illinois was giving a dozen to each team at state and selling...
  11. EAJuggalo

2024 Challenge Cup

I think we can all get behind senior should never use anything other than Classic+. No stadiums, no Pros, not even ClassicM.
  12. EAJuggalo

2024 Challenge Cup

HardCores in Viera at all is too much ball, add in 220s and 300 foot fences and it's just stupid. The entire point of the HardCore was to be used on larger fields. The only place I think they were used for Conference last year was Myrtle where all the fences are 325 and then B, A and AA Worlds...
  13. EAJuggalo

umpire mechanics

USSSA is pretty much the same. If you would have made a signal had he touched the base, you make the same signal and call. I will hold on calling time for a second or two to give them an opportunity to make the appeal. The number of times in World tournaments or Challenge Cup that the runner...
  14. EAJuggalo

Where do you play?

My primary position now is umpire. When I played it was 3B with a secondary of 2B. Although there were a couple years where I played every position on the field at least once during the season. 225lb shortstop looked kind of funny, but I was the second best option there.
  15. EAJuggalo

2024 Rule Changes

I did have to have a discussion with my partner at Viera about the importance of watching the runner first base. We get paid for 42 outs, let's take all of the free ones we can. Same reason I'm not shy about calling out of the box when a batter steps all the way in front of the plate.