Recent content by giovannig

1. giovannig

Softball for US Expat in Canada

Hi all, don't see much activity here, but posting anyway. In order to follow the wife, i'll end up a US expat in Canada. Of the locations we can end up , none will be in the GTA. We have somewhat of a choice and I can have some influence on ranking these. Obviously job prospects are top...
  2. giovannig

Wide softball shoes

This may not be what your looking to hear, but sharing anyway. Struggled for a long time trying to find wide, comfortable shoes. I always had to buy a size up, just to get the width I needed. But then the length obviously becomes an issue. Ok, pop in some insoles/orthos of choice. But still...
  3. giovannig

Canada rec scene ?

Hey gang, looks like I have more info on where we'd wind up settling. We have somewhat of a choice and I can have some influence on ranking these. Obviously job prospects are top priority, so while GTA is NOT an option, Ottawa might be. But could also be be one of these.. London Kingston...
  4. giovannig

Canada rec scene ?

Completely up in the air, but most likely wont be in the "greater" areas of big cities. Can only hope the drive, wont be too many hours.
  5. giovannig

Canada rec scene ?

Personally, I do prefer the clincher for safety reasons. Green ball slow-pitch rec, with exit velocities well over 100, on little league field dimensions, seems a bit dangerous TBH. I agree the fields are absolutely abysmal. And maybe the clincher feels a bit "JV". But the community and...
  6. giovannig

Canada rec scene ?

Was going to post this Q in the Canada forum, but seems deserted. I wanted to know a bit about the rec scene up north. Chiefly, is there one in Ontario? And during winter months, which I guess is more than half the year, is there “dome play”? Could be moving up there to follow the wife, and...
  7. giovannig

Slo-pitch, Mod, & baseball swings

Most folks I've played with are former baseball guys, who have for obvious reasons taken up rec softball. Most have never really changed their swing. There is obviously an art to the elite level slo-pitch swing. I just don't see many guys do it in the NYC area. For those that might have...
  8. giovannig

Closeout Bat ?

Hello all! OK, so I know that the clincher questions have been beat to death. But as a noob, looking to understand where I might have gone wrong on a purchase. Completely new to the world of rec slow-pitch softball in NYC..the “Clincher leagues”. Hadn’t played baseball in over 10 years. Like...