Recent content by jonsey

1. J

Any Randomly thought of a scenario

also and this hardly ever happens.. if for some reason an infielder shifted over near 2B and was positioned to the side a few feet but ahead of the runner and the batted ball passed him and hit the runner it would be a live ball.. I have had this happen a couple times at 1B when 1Bmen was...
  2. J

umpire mechanics

what are the correct umpire mechanics when the batter/runner misses 1st base but beats the throw.. 1) should the umpire make no call and wait to see it the defense appeals before he gets back to the base then call safe if no appeal 2) hesitate a few seconds and then give a safe signal and...
  3. J

Batter called out?

this is the new SSUSA batters box rule for senior softball.. also it does not state it but there is no longer a penalty for being out of the front of the box when making contact with a pitch as long as your rear foot is not in front of the front edge of home plate §1.5 • BATTERS BOX and §7.3 •...
  4. J

what's the call

Bases loaded, one out. Batter hits a ground ball to the infield. Defense makes a play at 2B (force out). Runner on 3rd scores. As a result of this play, runners at 1st & 3rd, one run in and two outs. For some unknown reason, the runner at first abandons the bag and returns to the dugout...
  5. J

Is this right?

and does it only take just 1 foot or both feet completely out of the box to be called out if the ball was in fair territory
  6. J

ASA safe or out

runner on 1st, ball hit to ss who races to 2nd to tag the bag, he tags the bag beating the runner but trips on the bag and falls forward hitting the ground which causes him to drop the ball from his glove I have the runner out agree??
  7. J

ASA scoring of runs

scenario is bases loaded 2 outs, batter hits the gap into the OF and ends up with an inside the park HR, 4 runs scored, after the play was complete the defense appealed that the runner on 2nd missed 3rd base for the 3rd out. was I correct to tell the offense that they now only scored 1 run...
  8. J

interference?

the answer depends on what rule set you use? the ASA/USA rule is Section 7. THE RUNNER IS OUT J. When a runner interferes: 1. With a fielder attempting to field a batted fair ball or a foul fly ball, or 2. With a fielder attempting to throw the ball, or 3) With a thrown ball.
  9. J

ASA do I make a safe call

I would definitely not make a safe call as you stated to do above because the runner is not yet safe, what I would now do to clarify that he missed the base is give an off the base sweeping of the arms signal I have 1 back at you, B/R hits a ground ball to the F6 who throws wide to 1st pulling...
  10. J

again thx for all the answers. I received this answer from an ASA UIC that I e-mailed and to me it's seems to be the best mechanic To answer the title question: yes, a call should be made but not necessarily a safe call, after the defender releases the ball to 1st base you can clarify...
  11. J

Deputy, again thx.. and I'm not arguing, just trying to understand. I agree 100% with the mechanics you posted using a 2 man system, but what you posted didn't really tell the proper mechanics for a defensive player attempting to make a play but misses the bag. they were about the defense...
  12. J

Deputy, Thx for that post, but my OP was should a safe call be made if the fielder misses the bag? He then followed thru with a throw to 1B for an attempted double play, I don't think any call should be made, IMO calling safe tips off the defensive player that he missed the bag and also how...
  13. J

yes that call makes sense to me, I'm not tipping off the defense that they missed the bag and when the runner does not hear an out call at 2nd he should proceed to the bag and therefore be on the bag and safe... hopefully NCASA will find something in writing
  14. J

thank you
  15. J

NCASA thx. for the answers, this question was brought between some umpires and there was disagreement between them and I would like to be able to show them from the rule book, points of emphasis or a umpire mechanics book if you know of any