Recent content by NCASAUmp

1. NCASAUmp

ASA NOT IN THE LINE UP

Neither answer is wrong - they’re two halves of the same coin. Answer 1 is addressing the fact that this would be treated as a sub, and that the sub wasn’t reported in. Answer 2 addresses where the player would be “subbed in,” and touches on the aspect of batting out of order. They’re both...
  2. NCASAUmp

ASA Whose call?

And yet, in all those years, you never learned what dictates who has what call? The rules do not dictate this. Never have. The umpire manual does. You should know that by now. You’re taking things out of the proper context to fit your narrative. I’ve already run it up the flagpole and gotten...
  3. NCASAUmp

ASA NOT IN THE LINE UP

Out of curiosity, what’d they say?
  4. NCASAUmp

ASA Whose call?

Just stop. You’re embarrassing yourself and doing nothing but confusing these players.
  5. NCASAUmp

ASA Whose call?

The problem is that you’re stating that the plate umpire has authority where they do not, quoting rules that do not apply or exist. That’s where you’re creating a lot of confusion among players who are reading this thread.
  6. NCASAUmp

ASA Whose call?

For kicks, I ran it up the flagpole. What did I hear back? Plate umpire’s call. /thread
  7. NCASAUmp

ASA NOT IN THE LINE UP

So here’s how I see it. If I’m given a lineup that has 9 players on it, then they’re playing shorthanded. Anytime a team plays shorthanded, they’re allowed to add the 10th player as soon as they become available, and that 10th player does not have to be listed as an available substitute as long...
  8. NCASAUmp

ASA NOT IN THE LINE UP

With this player in the lineup, did they have 10 players or 11?
  9. NCASAUmp

ASA Whose call?

I just did. Listen, I appreciate your willingness to help, but you’re barking up the wrong tree. Time after time, you’ve given wrong answer after wrong answer, and this is no exception. Stop creating more confusion on this site, no one’s listening to you anyway.
  10. NCASAUmp

ASA Whose call?

Gladly. In the 2021 manual, look on page 68, section F (bold emphasis is mine). Unfortunately, this is the closest it currently comes to addressing it. In years past, the Umpire Manual explicitly said that the PU is responsible for batted balls within the infield, which would include catch/no...
  11. NCASAUmp

ASA Whose call?

That quote is absolutely taken out of context. We’re not talking about a situation that isn’t covered by a rule. Nor are we talking about a situation in which a mechanic does not address a particular scenario. The Umpire Manual is 100% clear on whose call this is, period. Seriously, you’re...
  12. NCASAUmp

ASA Whose call?

Of course there’s a new book. And the umpire manual is on the USA Softball website. You can read it there. None of what you are saying is found anywhere in rule 10.1. Not a damn thing.
  13. NCASAUmp

ASA Whose call?

Absolutely not. The responsibilities are clearly set in the Umpire Manual, not the rule book. The rule book only states that no umpire may set aside the judgment of another umpire who has made a call within their respective duties, but it does not state what those duties are - the umpire manual...
  14. NCASAUmp

ASA Whose call?

I appreciate you wanting to help, but please make sure your references are current. As for citing a rule, well… there is no rule regarding who has this call. That is a mechanic, not a rule.
  15. NCASAUmp

ASA Whose call?

Please do not quote a 16-year-old document. Things change out there, including mechanics. Catch/no-catch is always the plate umpire’s job UNLESS a base umpire “goes out” to cover the play. In this case, no umpire is going out, so the call stays with the Plate Umpire.