Demarini Composite Question

Hey guys, I am just wondering what the differences are between the composites that Demarini uses with their bats.

015reddog

Certified Slacker
Hey guys, I am just wondering what the differences are between the composites that Demarini uses with their bats.

What??? Could you be a little more specific, like which bat you are talking about, barrel, handle, stuff like that?

For instance I know that both my Swagger and Larsen .12 have both the 4.ONE Composite and I recently acquired a blue CF5 with the True Flow Composite. The CF5 has a softer feel to it than my One Series bats. I also was trying to find out from the guys that have put swings on bats that had the same composite and possibly feel if they performed the same or different. When I see say one bat uses the 4.ONE composite and another uses the Divergent Composite, I was wondering what the differences are between those composites.

TRaj2327

There is more to the composite than just simply saying the bat has 4.ONE. If they were all identical then DeMarini basically has made only a couple bats with the ONE composite (4.ONE, S.ONE) in the past few years, which we know is not the case. The thickness of each layer will differ, there are sometimes other composite materials between layers, total thickness will vary....lots of factors. All of these things will play into break-in time, durability, how hot they are, feel, etc.

Actual differences in composite is proprietary information. We don't really get much information beyond the specs listed on the website.

There is more to the composite than just simply saying the bat has 4.ONE. If they were all identical then DeMarini basically has made only a couple bats with the ONE composite (4.ONE, S.ONE) in the past few years, which we know is not the case. The thickness of each layer will differ, there are sometimes other composite materials between layers, total thickness will vary....lots of factors. All of these things will play into break-in time, durability, how hot they are, feel, etc.

Actual differences in composite is proprietary information. We don't really get much information beyond the specs listed on the website.

Thanks man for the information. It helps a lot.

015reddog

Certified Slacker

Yup, if they told us that, they'd have to kill us. :p

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
The OG Stadium has an Aerospace grade composite. This was different than others. I Do not know if the same composite was used for the later Stadiums.
I know this answer from outside of the softball universe and means nothing special.

TRaj2327

They supposedly discontinued that composite because of the high costs...which is too bad because the OG Stadium was one of the best bats DeMarini has put out. The inside of the Spec.1 was similar looking, but much thinner...probably more Cartel-like.

Both the Swagger and Larson .12 both feel stiff and the Swagger feels like it has a touch more end load to it. The CF5 feels like it has about the same amount of end load as the Larson .12 but a softer barrel. All three bats still need to be broken in to really see what they have going for them.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
it usually comes down to performance and feel.

the specifics are a secret, but I'm pretty confident in knowing that a bat with 4.0ne composite is going to be stiffer than a bat with stacked or blackpitch composite...

bimmerpilot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The carbon fiber itself does not vary much, I'm sure if researched, there are a select few sources that supply all bat companies. The true variability lies within the cut lengths, layering techniques, and the proprietary composition of resin and other additives.

This is my hypothesis coming from metallic and fibrous medical device manufacturing.

Keep in mind also that with Demarini, overall feel will also be influenced based in which handle/material are mated to which barrel ;)

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
The carbon fiber itself does not vary much, I'm sure if researched, there are a select few sources that supply all bat companies. The true variability lies within the cut lengths, layering techniques, and the proprietary composition of resin and other additives.

This is my hypothesis coming from metallic and fibrous medical device manufacturing.

Keep in mind also that with Demarini, overall feel will also be influenced based in which handle/material are mated to which barrel ;)

Do you sell SYBAN'S?

bimmerpilot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Do you sell SYBAN'S?

More like drug coated vascular stents from CoCr and new age absorbables from Polylactide...
31788.jpg

I'm moving onto carotid stents and endovascular coiling when I grow up :p

Last edited:

Braveheart23

Manager
My cf3 had baby blue plastic in between the composite layers. It was like trash bag material. Never seen anything like it on any of the bats ive broken.

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
My Legend and my RD utrip have the blue layer.
I was in such an emotional down when it happened that I forgot to post a thread about the trashbags..........sigh.............................. jeez I miss those bats

Braveheart23

Manager
My Legend and my RD utrip have the blue layer.
I was in such an emotional down when it happened that I forgot to post a thread about the trashbags..........sigh.............................. jeez I miss those bats

Thats cool to know. Maybe the layers of plastic give some flex to the composite layers. Bend but dont break kinda thing.. well until they break

bimmerpilot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And here I thought you and Chris were just my Bat Fluffers.

Do yo thang man!

Whachu talmbout mang...
This is Chris :D

Thats cool to know. Maybe the layers of plastic give some flex to the composite layers. Bend but dont break kinda thing.. well until they break

This might provide some independent structural rigidity to minimize catastrophic failure associated with one wall cracking all walls.

Last edited:

bimmerpilot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The OG Stadium has an Aerospace grade composite. This was different than others. I Do not know if the same composite was used for the later Stadiums.
I know this answer from outside of the softball universe and means nothing special.
They supposedly discontinued that composite because of the high costs...which is too bad because the OG Stadium was one of the best bats DeMarini has put out. The inside of the Spec.1 was similar looking, but much thinner...probably more Cartel-like.

I believe it was constructed using remnant carbon sheeting from Boeing. Reordering supply was probably cost prohibitive.