Worst Excuse for No Show

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
clear skies ..."there is rain in the forecast i thought it would be canceled"
"i had groceries to pick up and saw someone i knew and didn't realize the time so I just went home"

young people are the worst. running a coed team I was generally irritated all the time as you would have a girl tell you yes she's be there like 1 hour before the game started and then not show up at all.

This didn't happen to any team I coached but happened on teams I was on. you'd get these kids that would no show or last minute say they couldn't make it and find out they were at some other field playing in some other league filling in or some crap.

trippy1313

Starting Player
You know, I didn't think of this before, but I used to coach a mens Sunday league... before we had group texts...

Team was sponsored and paid for by my dads business, so if course motivation wasn't always there.

I used to have to text or call each player individually... if they didnt reply to texts I'd call...

Games were usually set between 3-7pm. Probably 6 times I had guys that were still sleeping and too tires to make it to the game..

Some were likely hung over, but there's a few, my cousins included, who literally slept through the games... I called their parents. Lol.

trippy1313

Starting Player
Still sleeping at 3pm??? Damn, sounds like you need a team INTERVENTION. :oops::oops:😂😂
Yeah... but I'm Mr. Nice Guy I guess...

I literally had to call over half the team to make sure they were either awake or coming.

Keep in mind... most these guys were soccer players that never played softball or baseball their entire lives...

At least in my life, most the soccer players I know love their naps. Hahaha.

trippy1313

Starting Player
One ****ing game I’m out. I tell the guys in advance. And it becomes a **** show. They are complaining about nobody making a line up and positions. ****ing sheep wondering around and can’t make a decision. Man up!!!!!
I never understood the assigning positions thing. I understand directing a new player to the.... less active spots, usually RF or catcher... but if you have enough players that have actually played, rotate in and out, take turns. But I just play league so its different then Tourney play... but even then... I dunno. Lol.

Making a lineup though yes. Absolutely.

Mmcombo

Addicted to Softballfans
Hearing some of these excuses made me laugh. For these reasons I have learned not to even ask anymore. I simply give the players a heads up text on Tuesday for our game on Thursday. Who is in and who is out? Want to volunteer information fine.... but I don't ask so they don't have to lie.
Just let me know as soon as possible so I can begin to scroll thru my contacts to pick up whoever else is available on the roster.

My wife has told me many a time, "not everyone thinks like you do when it comes to playing ball" so I can't expect all my guys to do what I do for softball.

Although my favorite excuse in my experience, was a player left his equipment bag someone else. So I told him I got an extra glove and of course there always bats in the dugout to use but the kicker was he didn't want to wear someone else's shoes because it would be weird.(size 13 and we had another guy who had extra pair with the same size). SHOES!!!! REALLY!!!! NOT UNDERWEAR BUT SHOES!!!!

lorichie56

Hearing some of these excuses made me laugh. For these reasons I have learned not to even ask anymore. I simply give the players a heads up text on Tuesday for our game on Thursday. Who is in and who is out? Want to volunteer information fine.... but I don't ask so they don't have to lie.
Just let me know as soon as possible so I can begin to scroll thru my contacts to pick up whoever else is available on the roster.

My wife has told me many a time, "not everyone thinks like you do when it comes to playing ball" so I can't expect all my guys to do what I do for softball.

Although my favorite excuse in my experience, was a player left his equipment bag someone else. So I told him I got an extra glove and of course there always bats in the dugout to use but the kicker was he didn't want to wear someone else's shoes because it would be weird.(size 13 and we had another guy who had extra pair with the same size). SHOES!!!! REALLY!!!! NOT UNDERWEAR BUT SHOES!!!!
I dunno man sharing shoes is pretty gross lol.

trippy1313

Starting Player
Yeah, shoes can be hit or miss depending on the person... but unless he was wearing dress shoes, man up and get on the field!

D-ROCK13

Seen guys play in cowboy boots, work boots, and even bare footed. I went to watch a bunch of friends play one night after work, in work boots and blue jeans, 3 people got ejected over a dumb argument and i filled in to finish the 2nd game. No shoe excuse will ever be ok in my book 🤣

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
I had a guy that just stopped showing up half way through the season. My brother-in-law saw him at a flea market and talked to him. "What's up bro, haven't seen you at the park for a while" "Nah, it's cause I have other priorities now blah blah blah " his wife comes up behind him with a roasted corn on the cob and says "I don't let him play anymore" 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

trippy1313

Starting Player
Pretty good one on the opposing team tonight that probably shoulda been a forfeit.

Opposing team started with 8, and asked if we could spot a catcher, we did for a batter, then agreed one of the girlfriends in the stands could fill in. They swore they had a 9th guy on the way. We didn't mind, its rec, we just wanna play.

That 9th guy never showed up... turns out he thought we were playing at field #5 (we were at field #2) didn't see his team, but saw a buddy he knew and played with them instead of looking two fields over. Lol.