League Ump Fees

r8dr_rider

I’m taking a team back to a league that charges $30 a team per game for ump fees. The league we left was BLD and they charged $5 a person (over 12) years old to enter the stadium. Obviously taking the fam week after week was getting expensive. I’m thinking of charging every player in advance for the ump fees, rather then trying to collect $3 a player every game. If player misses a game he loses $3, and that’s on him. What do you guys do?

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
I sure am glad I don't live there, I would not/do not involve myself in pay to play bs..
Our league fees include ump fees and balls, as they should for what we have to pay, I have always had a sponsor that paid for league fees as well as team shirts with the exception of one or two years when I/we did try a pay to play team, it sucked big time so I stopped doing it.

And to have to pay to get into the facility especially for people just coming out to watch... Nah they can keep that junk

trippy1313

Starting Player
I personally find having to pay to get into a facility to watch rec softball pretty lame. There's one league I've played in that did that.

But paying to play, like the regular league fees divided amongst the team, totally fine with and I actually prefer it rather than being sponsored and playing for free.

Reason for that is.... the flakes. They guys who figure they have better things to do that day. If everyone on the team paid $70-80 each, then that's money lost of they don't show up, there's a slight financial motivation to get there.

Maybe some of you don't have that issue, but we have an entire thread about excuses why people didn't play, so I'm sure it happens.

I think you're on the right track, build it into the league fees. If a team manages to get sponsored, good for them.

robokill

Manager
Yeah the whole "if you pay for something you value it more" effect is crazy. I've asked individuals to sub this year ~20 times, and asked full teams about 6 times, and have gotten one total sub. Conversely I've played 43 games this year and only 13 were with my actual teams.

TheKid33

Star Player
I’m taking a team back to a league that charges $30 a team per game for ump fees. The league we left was BLD and they charged $5 a person (over 12) years old to enter the stadium. Obviously taking the fam week after week was getting expensive. I’m thinking of charging every player in advance for the ump fees, rather then trying to collect $3 a player every game. If player misses a game he loses $3, and that’s on him. What do you guys do?
Collect up front. This is the only way nowadays especially bc half of ppl don’t even carry cash anymore

rmp0012002

Addicted to Softballfans
Must be a high end league for an ump to get $60 a game. Usually $25-$30 a game. Umpire fees were always paid out of the league fees. I’ve played in money leagues where each player put in so much after a loss but never ponied up money after games for umps.

r8dr_rider

Must be a high end league for an ump to get $60 a game. Usually $25-$30 a game. Umpire fees were always paid out of the league fees. I’ve played in money leagues where each player put in so much after a loss but never ponied up money after games for umps.
It used to be $25 a team. If a team forfeited they paid both fees. Rarely had a team forfeit. If they did it was well in advance. Also I hear it’s been though to get umps around here so $60 a game is enticing.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Reason for that is.... the flakes. They guys who figure they have better things to do that day. If everyone on the team paid $70-80 each, then that's money lost of they don't show up, there's a slight financial motivation to get there.

This year my league team is fully sponsored, nobody had to pay a dime.
And we've had more no-shows and late cancellations than the last 5 years combined.