Senior bats

jhitman

Hey guys,

I'm going to turn 65 in 2022 and there is a league 50+ that allows 65 year old's to use senior bats with 44 cor 375 comp softballs. I have only owned 1 senior bat (Melee2) and sold it a while ago. I am looking for opinions on what would be the best senior bat that is currently out there? I guess I'm looking for a combo of best pop as well as durability.

Thanks.

jhitman

Thanks for the responses guys. I liked the Melee2 I had before, but sold it to a friend that needed it for senior tournaments.

MPT23

Putting on the foil
If you can, find a 2015 or 2016 og dudley. Even the dudley lifts were great bats

dunkky

i know suncoast and adidas has popularity and hype, but based on my experience, most of them are all in same ball park. it really depends on your swing style, loading, etc. Currently my gamer is worth wicked, black one, one piece 27oz. it's just as hot as suncoast and just as durable as Dudley. what's it's lacking is hype and popularity. lol

good luck with your journey in senior softball. they don't move as well as youngsters, so focus on hitting hard than pop, you will enjoy the game even more. I know a man who can hit homerun at will, but he changed his swing style to go oppo in line drive. His batting avg went up significantly and he is less frustrated. HRs are good, but if you can't hit like harvey does then you will see more fly outs then over the fence.

ogWarlock78

Addicted to Softballfans
The "best" bat is the bat YOU hit best with. What you like, I might not be able to get it out of the infield with the same bat.
Reason, mainly, is the different endloads . The recent Dudleys swing like sledgehammers (to me) due to the massive endloads. And a short barell bat (12") will feel more endloaded than a longer barrel (13"-14").
And if you go by the popular youtube vids reviewing senior softball bats, keep in mind those guys will never give a balanced bat a "TOP 10" ranking because they want max distance, which comes from big endloads.
Way too many variables in bats and they cost too much just to take a stab at it.
What I do is find a bat I can touch, feel, balance on my finger (I like a bat that the balance point is 21" out from the knob) and especially hit some balls with.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
The thing with Suncoast is their handles are way thin. I was struggling to get a feel until I added a knob cuff on my Melee Diamond. BTW supposedly the red Ultra Gamer is great, I haven't tried one though.

jhitman

I was told because I am considered a tournament player that I would not be allowed to swing a senior bat in league play even though I am of the correct allowable age. I would still like to get one. I am retiring in a month and plan to play some senior tournaments. Question, is the Melee 2 or Suncoast Ruckus the best senior bat? Or is there another I may be missing? I've done some research on my own and the Suncoast Ruckus and Melee2 seem to be the preferred bats. I can still hit my USSSA bats for HR's but would like to get a senior bat as to allow me to be even up with everyone else. When I had my Melee 2 in the past I did hit the ball about 30' further that with my regular bats. Any advice would be appreciated as I am new to the senior circuit.

Bengalfan

Addicted to Softballfans
Ruckus is not a Sr. Bat and the Melee 2`s are great bats. Suncoast now makes the Melee 3 and like the Melee 2 comes in different barrel lengths and balanced or endloaded, 1 piece and 2 piece. Need more info on what you like to swing to give an opinion, 1 piece or 2 piece, endloaded or balanced, 12"-13" barrels. Suncoast is a good Sr bat and you can`t go wrong with them to get started playing. Just find the one with the specs you like and get out there playing. Everyone will swing what fits them the best as most Sr bats are good. I swing the balanced Melee 3

jhitman

Ruckus is not a Sr. Bat and the Melee 2`s are great bats. Suncoast now makes the Melee 3 and like the Melee 2 comes in different barrel lengths and balanced or endloaded, 1 piece and 2 piece. Need more info on what you like to swing to give an opinion, 1 piece or 2 piece, endloaded or balanced, 12"-13" barrels. Suncoast is a good Sr bat and you can`t go wrong with them to get started playing. Just find the one with the specs you like and get out there playing. Everyone will swing what fits them the best as most Sr bats are good. I swing the balanced Melee 3
Thanks for your response. Right now I like endloaded bats and swing mostly 14" barrel. I prefer a 2 piece bat, but am open to a 1 piece. I had the old green/black Melee 2 about 4-5 years ago and really liked it a lot. I'm looking for something endloaded and has good durability. Do the senior bats come with a 1 year warranty? I know some don't.

ju25

Addicted to Softballfans
As a 65 year old, I would recommend going with Suncoast, Miken or Worth gamer series. They are hot out of the wrapper, with very good performance and durability. Myself personally(69), I would never spend that much for a bat. I still have my'05 Original Combat DaBomb (150) which is my gamer. Buy my bats on clearance and usually in the 150-100 or lower price range. Most senior bats are similar in performance once broken in, some just take longer than others. I have tried pretty much every bat out there and imo it comes down to what feels best for you. I have hit further(Maybe 10'-20') with Addidas, Dudley, Miken and Worth, but most consistent with my Combats. I own Combat Da Bomb, Wanted, Twilight, and Ambush. Worth 454, and Wicked(2). Onyx Daisy, and Matrix. Addidas ReLoaded, Dudley Nifong

Bengalfan

Addicted to Softballfans
Ritch`s Superior Sr bat has a 1 year warranty. Pretty good bat I am told, but not one of the more popular models. And yes the Suncoast or Miken Gamer series as Ju25 has said are all good bats.

jhitman

Thanks guys I appreciate all of your input. The Melee2 I had in the past was very hot out of the wrapper. I guess since I am used to hitting USSSA and ASA/USA bats anything that is a senior bat seems hot to me. I'm not sure on the distance effects, but most senior guys here told me about a 30' bump with most senior bats.

jhitman

Never understood that line of thinking. Hotter bats and balls for older players with slower reflexes. smh
I agree. A lot of senior leagues have gone to a pitching net for that exact reason. I just spoke to the Commissioner for one of our senior leagues about using a senior bat for league play. I was denied as he stated that even though I have the age I am considered a tournament player and doesn't want anyone to get hurt. Every time you step on the field you take that risk. We do play with a 44 cor 375 comp softball and can use USSSA bats.

blakcherry329

I play mostly Clincher leagues now, so not worried about too much even with every team using shaved bats. I gear up for the random tournaments I play. No biggie.
.44s with Senior bats is crazy but at least your Commissioner has some common sense.

jhitman

I play mostly Clincher leagues now, so not worried about too much even with every team using shaved bats. I gear up for the random tournaments I play. No biggie.
.44s with Senior bats is crazy but at least your Commissioner has some common sense.

I think he should go to the pitching net for that league and take the pitcher getting hurt out of the equation. I think I get an extra 30' with a senior bat, but that's just a guess. I have not tested it long term.

blakcherry329

I hear ya. Definitely 20' at least. I have the Miken Kendrick (white one). Definitely get more distance than my Blue Line, but about the same as my Ultra II. And that's with Clinchers. I haven't hit a yellow ball with them at all. Hope to play some tourneys this year to test my reflexes. lol

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm the rare breed who gets less distance with senior bats. Barrel's too soft for my swing or whatever. Reminds me of when the OG Ultra came out, I hit better/further with my PST 137. Lots of knuckle balls off both those bats. I don't cut the ball obviously.