Looking for the right glove.

ProHealth

My daughter is in 7th grade and will be playing Jr. High softball this spring. I am looking for the right glove for her. She is 13 years old and weighs around 86 pounds. She has always played infield, but may have to play a little outfield this year. Does anyone have a suggestion? I have heard a baseball glove isn't a bad option.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I dont have a specific model to suggest but I will say this: Don't buy online without her trying the glove on first. Go to Richards or whatever store is local to you with a good selection of gloves. Personally, I like Mizuno.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
First off, I‘m 100% in for a baseball glove! At 86 lbs, I take it she has pretty small hands? You have a few dilemmas you’re gonna have to deal with her playing multiple positions.

I’m definitely more well versed at recommending an infield glove, it’s what I dealt with for over ten years. While coaching it was around age 14 or 15 that my girls who played multiple positions owned and played with more than one glove, it’s just the way it is.

There’s a brand new Vinci BV1929-L here at the house that’s going to a auction / raffle, it’s a 12.5” glove that plays like a 12.25” with a super small, really snug hand stall. It’s definitely worth a look although you’ll probably have to re-lace it day one as soon as you take it out of the box, the lace is horrible!

I’m not a huge fan of having a glove that large for infield, but that’s the compromise when you try and use one glove for both infield and outfield. If you’ve done any searching here, I still believe the Don Morton’s Rawlings Pro1000 is THE best infield glove for girls fastpitch infield.

Wow, I’ve been out of this for a while!

ProHealth

Awesome! Thank you for the information. I looked up the Rawlings Pro1000, they do look great. Would you buy it for a 13 year old?

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Awesome! Thank you for the information. I looked up the Rawlings Pro1000, they do look great. Would you buy it for a 13 year old?
I ordered Anna a custom 12” Kip Vinci when she just turned 12, it was stiffer than any Horween Pro1000 we’ve ever had, that was when Vinci made a real glove! It was a brick!

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Take a look at an Asian Spec custom Gloveworks, maybe a 12.25” H-web in Pro-Steerhide leather. The Asian Spec will have a smaller hand stall. Great leather and great price!

Or…..buy two gloves! 😉 Actually two custom Gloveworks, especially when you catch them on sale.

ProHealth

Great info! Thank you. I will take a look. So many parents just buy any old glove. I have been struggling for a while in this decision, but this really helps.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah, guys here don’t buy just any old glove, this is glove snob central! 😉 Or it used to be!

Here’s my old 12.25” I-web Gloveworks.
I'm not necessarily a glove snob but I do have somewhat of a formula now. I only buy Mizuno. I start with the size I'm looking for, then narrow it down to the web style I like. Once I get that crop of candidates ironed out, I know any glove between $175 and $250 is gonna be a winner for me. My current gamer is my 6th Mizuno.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
I'm not necessarily a glove snob but I do have somewhat of a formula now. I only buy Mizuno. I start with the size I'm looking for, then narrow it down to the web style I like. Once I get that crop of candidates ironed out, I know any glove between $175 and $250 is gonna be a winner for me. My current gamer is my 6th Mizuno.
That's a good game plan! I've pretty much quit buying gloves now but my plan used to look like a cat chasing a laser pointer.....there was no plan!

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm also a big fan of Gloveworks (currently own 6 of them lol) and would also throw in Easton Professional series gloves. If you spend a little time looking on the bay you could potentially get an outfield glove and an infield glove for the price of a single Rawlings or Wilson.

MaverickAH

First off, I‘m 100% in for a baseball glove! At 86 lbs, I take it she has pretty small hands? You have a few dilemmas you’re gonna have to deal with her playing multiple positions.

I’m definitely more well versed at recommending an infield glove, it’s what I dealt with for over ten years. While coaching it was around age 14 or 15 that my girls who played multiple positions owned and played with more than one glove, it’s just the way it is.

There’s a brand new Vinci BV1929-L here at the house that’s going to a auction / raffle, it’s a 12.5” glove that plays like a 12.25” with a super small, really snug hand stall. It’s definitely worth a look although you’ll probably have to re-lace it day one as soon as you take it out of the box, the lace is horrible!

I’m not a huge fan of having a glove that large for infield, but that’s the compromise when you try and use one glove for both infield and outfield. If you’ve done any searching here, I still believe the Don Morton’s Rawlings Pro1000 is THE best infield glove for girls fastpitch infield.

Wow, I’ve been out of this for a while!
Hey AD, Haven’t talked in a long time! I’ll try to reach out some time this week.

I disagree with you about the laces on that Vinci BV1929-L. They just require a lot of conditioning and breaking in. In fact, the entire glove does. The colored leathers are particularly tough and not for the uninitiated.

Now, onto the topic at hand…..

Pro Health,
You don’t mention what your daughter is currently using. That would be a big help in determining a recommendation. I usually like to determine ability and dedication before I make a glove recommendation. Those are important factors to consider especially for a 13yo because that’s very often the tipping point where a glove becomes an investment. You want to possibly think about spending enough money to purchase something that’s going to get her through H.S. and beyond if you think her level of commitment warrants it.

If her hand is on the small size, think about getting a fastpitch specific glove. It’ll fit her better and that’s important! If you decide to go the baseball glove route, I’d suggest looking at pitcher’s gloves because they tend towards deeper pockets that make for great two-way gloves. They also have closed webs which help to maintain glove integrity and longevity. When it comes to size, I would suggest 12” to 12.5” since we’re talking 2-way although 12.5” might be on the big side. Glove weight should also be considered which is why going TOTL might not be the best option. Only you and your daughter can make that determination.

Here are a lot of deserving brands out there bot if I had to make a safe, blind recommendation, it’d be a Wilson A2000 Fastpitch glove. It’s sized properly, well made but not too difficult to break in and will last a long time if properly maintained. Good luck!

ogWarlock78

Addicted to Softballfans
another Gloveworks fan here!
I have the budget minded Gloveworks Gameday and it was big time stiff when it arrived. Very impressed with the quality. It will be my gamer in senior softball for years to come.
AND, Gloveworks is good about offering 20%-25% discounts around every holiday. My Gameday was around 100 bux delivered.

mkaufm1

Yeah, guys here don’t buy just any old glove, this is glove snob central! 😉 Or it used to be!

Here’s my old 12.25” I-web Gloveworks.
Self confessed glove-sniffer here. Hahahhahaha.

I like Gloveworks as well. I’ve purchased two as gifts and had an LHT softball spec catchers mitt for awhile many years ago that was rockstar. My only complaint is the low level of communication during the construction to shipping process, but, after I knew what to expect, everything was a-okay.

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
I think the level of communication dropped of with the increase of business. Good for them but can be a bit disconcerting. Quality has always seemed to remain.