umpire mechanics

jonsey

what are the correct umpire mechanics when the batter/runner misses 1st base but beats the throw..

1) should the umpire make no call and wait to see it the defense appeals before he gets back to the base then call safe if no appeal

2) hesitate a few seconds and then give a safe signal and await to see if the defense appeals before he gets back to the base

3) give your normal timed safe signal so you do not tip off the defense that the runner missed the base and then await to see if the defense appeals before he gets back to the base

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
You have language from the umpire manual in your question. Are you testing us?

It depends on the alphabet soup. USA Rules Supplemnt 1.L specifically addresses it:

2024 USA Rulebook said:
Missing First Base Before the Throw Arrives. When a runner passes first base
before the throw arrives, they are considered to have touched the base unless
properly appealed. On appeals involving the double base, when the batter-runner
touches the white rather than the contrasting color portion and a play is made, the
same procedure applies. When an appeal is made in both situations, it must be
made prior to the runner returning to first base while the ball is live.
Exception: If a play is being made from first base foul territory, or an errant or missed
throw pulls the defensive player into foul territory, the runner may touch the white
or contrasting color portion of the base. This is not considered missing the base.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
USSSA is pretty much the same. If you would have made a signal had he touched the base, you make the same signal and call. I will hold on calling time for a second or two to give them an opportunity to make the appeal. The number of times in World tournaments or Challenge Cup that the runner never touches the base, I bet in my 27 games I could have had a whole games worth of outs just from missed bases, but none of them were ever appealed.