Triple Play?

jamiewilson

Senior Slowpitch. Runners on 1st and 2nd none out. Ground ball to SS’s left. He fields the ball and tags the runner who is still standing on 2nd base. The SS then touches 2nd to force the runner from 1st and throws to 1st to nail the batter. Is this a triple play. That is, is the runner on second safe because they are still on the base when tagged or are they forced to vacate the base due to the runner from fist coming to second who has not yet been put out.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Triple play so long as the order happened as you stated. If 2B bag was touched before tagging the runner on it they are no longer forced and would only be a double play with a runner on 2B then.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
That's unfortunate. Based solely on your description, that's three outs.

Giving the ump the benefit of doubt, it's possible he didn't see the tag/base touch order the same way and that's a judgement call you have to live with.

Now if the explanation was that the forced runner was still safe because of being in contact with second base, you have grounds for protest because that's an incorrect application of rules.

Now "/THREAD"

Desperado25

Extra Hitter
Triple play so long as the order happened as you stated. If 2B bag was touched before tagging the runner on it they are no longer forced and would only be a double play with a runner on 2B then.
We had a play in winter worlds a few years back. M+ team. Second and third-5 on 3. We walked the next guy. I was playing third and moved up almost even with the bad. Batter hit a line drive that I short-hopped behind the bag and the runner stepped back on to third base. I tagged him, then touched third and threw to second. Not realizing we already had the triple play, our second baseman threw to first to complete a quadruple play. The umpire laughingly said 'You're all out'.