Search results

1. D

Leather care question

I keep forgetting to update this. I hung the bags in my shed for 2 1/2 weeks. The shed is a carport I enclosed with steel panels on the side and plywood ends. It's in the shade all but early morning and evening when the sun hits the wooden ends. The steel roof and sides never get direct sun. It...
  2. D

Is your own team chatter helpful?

My son was mildly autistic as a kid, meaning he sometimes said or did things others found awkward. As a 10-12 yr old, he'd come to my games and yell to me from the backstop as I batted. He's the only person I know who could cheer and jeer in the same breath. He was on me so much one day that...
  3. D

After 100 games, my nokona edge X review.

If it works, it's beautiful.
  4. D

I'm 67, but I can remember pitching in Little League as a 12 year-old and not hearing anyone except my mom once in a while, and our pastor whose youngest son was on the team. There was no way to not hear him. He was normally mild mannered and reasonably quiet, but at the games he was louder than...
  5. D

Like most of you, at some point I shut it all out and don't hear anybody. Likewise, I only hear what I'm tuned into on defense and running the bases. I know this is about hitting, but it's always irritated me when I've missed a ball on defense and somebody says, "You almost had it!" But I...
  6. D

So I bought my final, very very last glove….again!

April 2019 in response to me pointing out we'd heard this before.
  7. D

"It's just a glove. No one cares."

I'm at the opposite end of "it's just a glove". At last guesstimate, which was several years ago, I figured I had 50+ gloves. All but a handful are older lower end gloves most of you wouldn't even glance at. I picked them up for a couple of bucks for spares for a church co-ed league, to sell...
  8. D

And will never be able to sell.
  9. D

Music and Weed.....

Used to play against a guy who was pretty good when sober, but the drunker he was, the better he played - even when he looked like he couldn't find left field, let alone get out there. He was slender and not all that tall. He ran 5 or 10Ks, and would win. I'd see him out running, and wonder how...
  10. D

Most of the guys I play with have cheap gloves. Most treat their gloves like "it's just a glove, but they certainly don't think "it's just a glove" - especially if they have to replace it. They've found what works for them and that's why they stick with them. I bought a Dale Murphy RBG36 in...
  11. D

Music and Weed.....

Earlier this year, a team was playing raunchy, explicit rap loud enough to be annoying to me as the catcher - the lyrics were more annoying than the volume. I asked the umpire, "If I get up again and can somehow pull the ball enough to hit that boombox, will it count as a strike?" He said, "No."...
  12. D

Leather care question

That might work. I bought these not knowing whether I'll keep them or flip them. I'm a sucker for most anything made of leather, and these are new and well made - even if they do stink!
  13. D

Leather care question

I recently picked up a beautiful leather backpack and matching duffel bag for just a few bucks. Both are canvas lined. I found similar bags on ebay that are made of goatskin without chemicals, and treated with a vegetable oil product to preserve and waterproof the leather. My guess is the...
  14. D

Worst Excuse for No Show

I was going to say maybe you shouldn't have brothers on your teams, then remembered I have 3 pairs of brothers on my team.
  15. D

So this happened today. What's the correct call?

Just trying to understand how the runner can be protected by being on the base in one case and not the other.
  16. D

So if the runner is no longer entitled to the base once the ball is put in play, if he's hit by the batted ball while still on the base, is he out? I haven't said how the umpire ruled, or which team I was on. I actually play for both teams on different days which is why I posted this question...
  17. D

If you think this is a triple play, please explain how a runner can be tagged out while in contact with a base he is rightfully occupying at the time he is tagged. Yes, there is a force play in effect, but exactly when and why is he no longer protected on the base he occupied when the ball was...
  18. D

ASA/USA - Bases loaded, no outs. Ground ball hit to the 3rd baseman right next to the bag. Runner on 3rd did not move and remained on the base. 3rd baseman tagged the runner who was standing on 3rd, stepped on 3rd base to get the force out on the runner coming from 2nd, and threw to 2nd to get...
  19. D

Vietnam vs China Got Dot Extremes

I don't have experience with the Extremes, but the Chinese regular Hot Dots get slick a lot quicker than the Vietnamese. That doesn't address your question at all, but it's one difference I've noticed.
  20. D

Uncommon Webs

I've always been a basket web guy, but a few years ago I was buying a lot of gloves to flip and picked up a PROS27 Trap that was too nice to not use. I had it over a year before I decided to use it rather than flip it. It was "pre-owned", but not used. I broke it in the way I wanted, closing...