Search results

1. B

5man vs 4man

So we run a lot of 5 man, as I think it is usually the better defense. What are peoples opinions on the 5 vs 4man? What are some situations where you should go 4man? Advantages of each? How do you run cuts? Who takes 2nd on the turn? Just wanted to start a general discussion on the 5man...
  2. B

Obstruction or interference

Two fielders (1st baseman and 2nd baseman) are moving to a fly ball in the baseline between 1st and second, calling each other off, ball is closer to 2nd base then 1st base. Runner from 1st collides with 1st baseman. 2nd baseman drop flyball, possible due to the collision distraction. Is this...
  3. B

Ball Exit speed

What would be considered a decent ball exit speed on .52s, in your opinion? Ive been told each mph is worth about 4 feet, so 75mph exit speed would be 300 ft? So anything above that would be solid?
  4. B

Infield range

What are some thoughts on where to play your infielders with the most range in a 5 man if gloves are similar? I'm thinking middle most range, 2nd then ss? Have also seen the value of play the least range at middle, since they are tied to the 2nd fairly often.
  5. B

Bases loaded ground ball to 3rd

Bases loaded, ground ball to 3rd baseman. Runner on third does not move off 3rd. 3rd Baseman tags runner on third (still on base), steps on 3rd base, and throws to second for the force. Is this 2 or 3 outs?
  6. B

Tournament Team Size

What is everyone's feelings on how many guys to bring to a tournament? I like having 12, for injury/ejections and rotate who sits. I have found with less than 12, our outfielders (we usually run a 5-man) can get pretty exhausted by game 5 or 6 in the July heat, but more than 12 seems a little...
  7. B

Ball hits bats in dugout entrance

Our league uses USASoftball rules. In two recent games the same play happened with 2 different calls. In both plays the ball was over thrown into the batting teams dugout, and bounced off of bats in the dugout entrance back onto the field of play. Both times a dead ball was called. The first...
  8. B

ASA Force at Second

Runner on first, ball was deflected off pitcher. SS dove and grabbed ball with bare hand and tagged base with glove. Runner was called safe because the ball wasn't in the glove.