Search results

1. J

umpire mechanics

what are the correct umpire mechanics when the batter/runner misses 1st base but beats the throw.. 1) should the umpire make no call and wait to see it the defense appeals before he gets back to the base then call safe if no appeal 2) hesitate a few seconds and then give a safe signal and...
  2. J

what's the call

Bases loaded, one out. Batter hits a ground ball to the infield. Defense makes a play at 2B (force out). Runner on 3rd scores. As a result of this play, runners at 1st & 3rd, one run in and two outs. For some unknown reason, the runner at first abandons the bag and returns to the dugout...
  3. J

ASA safe or out

runner on 1st, ball hit to ss who races to 2nd to tag the bag, he tags the bag beating the runner but trips on the bag and falls forward hitting the ground which causes him to drop the ball from his glove I have the runner out agree??
  4. J

ASA scoring of runs

scenario is bases loaded 2 outs, batter hits the gap into the OF and ends up with an inside the park HR, 4 runs scored, after the play was complete the defense appealed that the runner on 2nd missed 3rd base for the 3rd out. was I correct to tell the offense that they now only scored 1 run...
  5. J

ASA do I make a safe call

runner on 1st ground ball hit to F4, F6 is covering 2B, the throw is a little wide and when F6 reaches out with his foot he misses the bag he then follows thru with a throw to 1B for an attempted double play, the runner that was on 1st had actually stopped advancing and when he didn't hear...
  6. J

ASA what's the call

batter hits a pop up near 3rd base line and the ball begins to drift toward the coaches box, the 3B coach is back pedaling trying to get out of the fielders way but the fielder chasing after the ball bumps into him and doesn't make the catch, would this be interference or just incidental contact...
  7. J

ASA delayed out call?

Runner on 1st Base, line drive hit to the SS he makes a great catch on the ball. The runner on 1B breaks for second, the ump makes the out call and the runner turns and heads back to 1B. The throw was off line and the runner beat the throw back . Now, the batter for some unknown reason continued...
  8. J

Any intentional walk

this came up in a recent slo-pitch league game, bases loaded and after the batter stepped into the batters box, the pitcher had a brain fart and told the umpire to walk him, he thought 1st base was open. The batter starts down the 1st base line and then the pitcher realized that he had...
  9. J

ASA batter hit by batted ball

scenario... ball hit up the middle and off the pitchers glove and then hits the runner going from 1st to 2nd .. I know per the rule below the runner is not out once the pitcher makes contact with the ball and the runner could not avoid contact with the ball .. my question is if this is a live...
  10. J

ASA does run score

1 out, runners on 1st and 2nd, batter hits a ball into the OF for a double, runner on 2nd scores runner from 1st is tagged out sliding into 3rd for the 2nd out, the defense then appeals that the batter/runner missed 1st base, umpire calls the B/R out for the 3rd out .. does the run score...
  11. J

Any appeals

with bases loaded, does it matter which base is appealed 1st if you want to appeal that the runners on 1st and 2nd left the base early on a caught fly ball, do you have to appeal the base closest to home 1st?
  12. J

ASA runner keeps advancing

bases loaded 1 out and the runner going into 2nd is called out but he continues to run the bases and the defense attempts another play on him at 3rd while the runner from 3rd scores what is the call, is this a dead ball or delayed dead ball , also would this violation come under interference...
  13. J

ASA tournament scoring

tournament scoring-- 2 scenarios scenario-- the game is tied, runner on 2B and the game winning run on 3B-- batter hits a long fly ball that the OF gets a glove on buts bounces out of his glove and over the fence-- umpire rules 4 base award-- does just the run on 3rd score because it was...
  14. J

ASA is this an appeal play

runners on 1st and 3rd with 2 outs there is a 7 run limit per inning--- batter hits a clean single and advances to 1st base -- the runner on 3rd scores -- the runner on 1st does not advance all the way to 2nd he goes about 1/2 way then turns back and heads into the dugout because the runner on...
  15. J

ASA what's the call

batter hits a ball about 8 ft over his head to the catcher who moves forward and is standing on the the plate, the batter is still standing in the batters box toward the front of the box in fair territory with the bat in his hand and the tip of the bat in the dirt waiting for the catcher to...
  16. J

Any runner called out

I saw this play the other day, runner on 1st and a line drive back to the pitcher the runner was about 2 steps off the bag, the runner just beat the throw back to the bag but stepped on 1st basemans foot instead of the bag the umpire called him out for not actually touching the bag isn't the...
  17. J

Any baseball

I know this is a baseball play but wondered if anyone else had ever seen this---- this happened in a MLB game yesterday I was watching and never seen it before-- batter has 2 strikes and swings at a pitch-- replays showed that the ball definitely hit him in the hand and made no contact with the...
  18. J

ASA batter advancing to 1st base

I watched a play the other day, bases were loaded 1 out and there was a 7 run limit per inning, run #7 is on 3rd base, the batter hits a clean single to the outfield all base runners advanced 1 base except the batter who never touched 1st base, he figured the 7th run had scored and even if...
  19. J

ASA interference

runner on 1st and 3rd no outs batter hits a slow roller to the SS who throws to 2nd for the out, the 2nd baseman attempts to throw to 1st base but is bumped by the runner ----- a couple different questions on this play --- 1) I know this is interference but what if in the umpires judgement...
  20. J

Any touching bases

I know if you advance past a base and then need to return to the previous base as on a caught fly ball that you must re-touch the base that you passed. This happened the other day, runner on 2nd and the batter hits a line drive up the middle that almost took the runners head off, the runner...