Search results

1. eddieq

Any Randomly thought of a scenario

Thanks @EAJuggalo To that point, it’s not always dead in USA. If it had passed a fielder (not the pitcher or catcher) before it struck the runner and no other infielder had an opportunity to field it then the ball is live and play on. Doesn’t happen often in softball.
  2. eddieq

It has nothing to do with being forced or not. They are safe if struck with a fair batted ball while in contact with a base. Says nothing about "the base they are entitled to". And "runners aren't awarded a base". The batter is put on first base and you advance anyone forced. If they aren't...
  3. eddieq

This is specifically handled in each of the sanctions rule books actually. USA would have the ball dead, award the batter runner 1st and advance anyone forced. The runner in contact with the base is not out unless the umpire judges the contact was intentional. USA Rule 8.8.M USSSA handles it...
  4. eddieq

USSSA 1B fielder catches ball in front of BR, ump calls obstruction?

I used to try to head that off at the plate meetings. Just a simple, "fielders watch where you plant yourself or you could be guilty of obstruction" but that's not really appropriate at a plate meeting because you end up doing a rules clinic and softball superstar (usually named Joey) tries to...
  5. eddieq

Other WSL - Extra innings called a draw without a single play being made

That right there is likely the cause of the "fine, we are done. Tie game" at the end of the night. Last game of the night, bunch of BS over a tie breaker, just be done. May have been unprofessional, but understandable.
  6. eddieq

And that’s certainly the league’s choice to make it however they want. The way the ITB is supposed to be handled is that the batter who is scheduled to bat last that inning goes to second or more simply the batter that precedes the lead off batter in the lineup goes to second. B4 is up, put B3...
  7. eddieq

Went back and looked up WSL rules But also The effect portion The "effect" piece is for a "called game" and in your case it makes it a legal/official game. The "any other cause which puts the umpire, players, or the patrons in peril" (oxford comma mine) can be his excuse that he thought...
  8. eddieq

I don't call WSL and didn't look anything up on WSL specific rules. The "method of tie breaker" should be in the association/league/house rules. It shouldn't be left up to the teams on the field to decide at the last moment. The umpire telling you that it's home-team's discretion and then...
  9. eddieq

Triple Play?

That's unfortunate. Based solely on your description, that's three outs. Giving the ump the benefit of doubt, it's possible he didn't see the tag/base touch order the same way and that's a judgement call you have to live with. Now if the explanation was that the forced runner was still safe...
  10. eddieq

Triple Play?

I know I said, "/THREAD" but now I have to ask - what was the call on the field?
  11. eddieq

Triple Play?

What @ilyk2win said. Every stick and ball game, every code. Kickball also. /THREAD
  12. eddieq

umpire mechanics

You have language from the umpire manual in your question. Are you testing us? It depends on the alphabet soup. USA Rules Supplemnt 1.L specifically addresses it:
  13. eddieq

Substitute as Courtesy Runner

2024 USA rulebook, Rules Supplement 12 paragraph D: The use of the courtesy runner, while they are "in the game" upon release of the first pitch (legal or illegal), doesn't change their designation. If they have only been a CR, they can still be used as a sub at a later time.
  14. eddieq

Batter called out?

Ah, but it's not really the "entire foot". The interpretation I've always been given is that all parts of the foot that are in contact with the ground outside the box. So, on the ball of your foot outside the box and the heel is raised over the box, you're still technically out of the box...
  15. eddieq

Batter called out?

If the foot is on the ground outside the batter’s box on contact, the ball is dead and the batter is out. The space between the boxes in front of the plate is outside of the batter’s box so it’s possible to get an out this way. If the boxes aren’t drawn they still exist but you get a lot of...
  16. eddieq

Any Interference / Blocked Ball?

Trying not to go down the rabbit hole here, but again, many situations. In general, if the discarded bat is stationary and a thrown ball hits it, well, it's part of the field and play on. If the bat is still moving and it hits/gets hit by the batted or thrown ball, or if it impacts a players...
  17. eddieq

Any Interference / Blocked Ball?

Discarded bat that was just used is generally part of the field. If the act of discarding it causes interference then that's a separate thing. If the act of discarding it is judged to be dangerous or unsportsmanlike that's another thing altogether. I'm not going to go down the "if - then -...
  18. eddieq

2024 Foul ball/ Foul tip rule USA Softball

I've called it in slow pitch. One dude in the Special Olympics tipped three on two separate at bats. But the pitcher was throwing with little arc (called them illegal) and the batter swung through tipping them each time. Catcher actually hung on to them each time. But in practice and on...
  19. eddieq

2024 Foul ball/ Foul tip rule USA Softball

The "not over the player's head" language was removed a very long time ago. The 2024 rule changes posted on the USA softball site do not add it back in. You can read the rule changes here - https://www.usasoftball.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/120/2023/11/RuleChangesWComments_110223.pdf And...
  20. eddieq

ASA Ruling

Yeah, that's unfortunate. At least he recognized his error (or someone corrected him) and he admitted it. As an umpire, I always try to learn something new if I can each time. Looks like he learned a lesson at your expense.