Search results

1. fitzpats

Any International Tie Breaker (ITB)

Hey everyone. Just wanted to see if I screwed up last night, or if I got it right. League playoff game using ASA/USA softball rules with some league modifications. Time limit hits with the score tied, so we move to extra innings. League paperwork says extra innings are done using the...
  2. fitzpats

Advance on foul ball

I agree. Unless every player knows the rules within the ruleset that they are playing, and not the ones that they believe are correct, it will cost time. Players will still let the ball drop and chase after it. If the defense does catch it, and you send the runner back to third, then you're...
  3. fitzpats

ASA Batted Ball Contacting Runner on the Base

The only reason that I mention the bag is that when the runner is on base, the runner has to be on the bag. Meaning, the fielder was in front of the runner. I just wanted my partner to be on the same page as me, and not declare a dead ball because the ball hits a runner after passing F3. The...
  4. fitzpats

Advance on foul ball

In ASA, the ball should have been live following the catch. However, if your league has a rule that the foul to strike someone out creates a dead ball, then that supersedes the ASA rules.
  5. fitzpats

Sorry to bump this back up, but ran into another umpire while working with him last night with the same thought process. I noticed F3 was playing in front of the bag when a runner was on, and wanted to let him know at the plate so he doesn't kill a ball too early. He told me that if the ball...
  6. fitzpats

Hitting up the Middle

I'm not trying to kill you, but if you're not running a 5-man, that's a big hole to hit through. What I don't like is pitchers bitching because a ball came within 10 feet of the the pitching plate and was a daisy cutter no higher than the ankles.
  7. fitzpats

ASA Runner accidentally kicks balls

Here's how I read it and determine it. Please correct me if I am wrong. The ball must pass a fielder for the the play to continue as live. There is no factor in the ruling saying the runner must be behind the fielder for this to happen. The way the OP says this play went, the ball hit near...
  8. fitzpats

ASA Runner accidentally kicks balls

Sounds like the ball landed to the right and behind second base. The question you have to ask now is, did the second basemen have a play on the ball before the runner touched the batted ball, or after. If the runner touched the ball before the second baseman had a play on it, and I don't care if...
  9. fitzpats

ASA Slowpitch Softball Question:

Agreed, but if the umpire did not declare a forfeit at the time, then a proper protest should have been filed on the field due to the error in enforcing the rule set.
  10. fitzpats

Benefits of being a team sponsor...

Benefits for the sponsor is mainly getting their name out there and earning some business one way or another. If you've got bars and restaurants, they want your team, friends, and family to come in and purchase items to make up for the cost of what they're paying. Other businesses want the...
  11. fitzpats

coed q

Yes. But the coed rule still requires 10 to start. If you can't start it's a forfeit and the two out rule wouldn't matter. That's the way that I'm reading it. I understand where you're coming from though. This is the reason I believe it's a league rule. They can play with fewer than 10. If it...
  12. fitzpats

coed q

The fact that it is co-ed does have bearing. Part III - Coed Softball, Rule 4-C states a game has to begin and end with 10 players. That's why this is a league situation.
  13. fitzpats

coed q

In NSA, with two outs, the female would have the option of hitting if the male batter is walked before her. Fewer than two outs, and she must bat. However, I would suggest you take this up with your LD because in NSA, you are not allowed to play coed with fewer than 10 players. If you were...
  14. fitzpats

Perfect. Thanks so much!
  15. fitzpats

So this may sound like a complaining post about an umpire, and it is a bit. But I want to know your thoughts. Runner on third is standing on the base with a shot hit down the line. Runner doesn't move and is hit with the ball while in contact with third base and our third baseman is attempting...
  16. fitzpats

need tiebreaker help for standings

Win % puts team B ahead. If there's an issue, just tell them they should have won more games. Hahaha. Head-to-head should only matter if they have the same record. 0.429 > 0.375.
  17. fitzpats

Did I get this right?

Your description of the scenario is very confusing. You've got a batter making an out on a caught fly ball to center only to end up in a rundown between first and second. You've got a guy leaving second early on the caught fly ball only to have him score on the rundown of the batter-runner, and...
  18. fitzpats

USSSA Interference and 2nd ball on field

In scenario 1, that's complete judgement call. Yes the fielder gave himself up, but if the umpire decided that the runner hindered the throw the fielder made, then interference can be called. Given that the runner slid to the outfield side of the basepath from first to second, I could easily see...
  19. fitzpats

Taking a walk

For the most part, I'm fine with someone taking a walk-off walk in league or tournament. Now, I do say "for the most part" because there are times that it's not warranted. We were down 14 or something, and the guy took the walk to bring in the run that dimed us. This was on a 3-1 count. In that...
  20. fitzpats

Runner on 1B (on the base) hit by batted ball

No. As NCASAUmp said, it's closest fielder. Basically the rule is allowing the fielder to have a play on the batted ball. That's why it's live if the fielder is in front of the runner. They are the one that had a play on the batted ball, had a chance at it, and missed it.