Search results

1. EdFred

Other Odd situation - what would your call be?

This was in a MLB game the other night, (Braves/Nationals, Nationals batting, and they ultimately won the game), but the rules are the same as far as I can tell on this situation. I think the umpires got the end result wrong even though technically they got all the calls that transpired during...
  2. EdFred

ASA Well, it finally happened - (where to start)?

Since I've made it known this is my last year of playing ball other than being an emergency sub, I've been recruited/suckered/coerced into joining the dark side in 2018 by one of the umpires in our league. So what are some good (online to start) resources to access so I'm prepared right out of...
  3. EdFred

ASA Ball Thrown Out of Play

Well, I *thought* I knew this rule, but apparently not. I'm on 1st. Slow roller hit to 3rd. Runner is slower than the ball is hit. Defense attempts to turn the double play. I beat the throw to 2nd, and am called safe on the play. SS gets the ball from 3B and throws to first wildly. Ball...
  4. EdFred

Any Umpires - how do YOU define 'ordinary effort' ?

As an umpire do you have any benchmarks that you use to determine ordinary effort? Do you think a benchmark should be used, or would you consider using a benchmark laziness on the umpire's part instead of taking in the whole play and making a judgement? I'd like to hear some opinions on how...
  5. EdFred

ASA Hats and Knobcuffs (2 ?'s)

Had a an ASA (USA Softball) State/National Qualifier this weekend, and we were told two things by the umpires that I scratched my head at. #1 - Pregame bat check the tournament UIC came through the dugout and stated all the knobcuffs had to also be taped to the handle. We never ran into this...
  6. EdFred

Player Ratings?

Anyone know how ASA determines player ratings? I'm told they have myself listed as one classification higher than what we are playing. I've never played sanctioned ASA (league or tourney) in any form or fashion - and haven't played NSA ball in 3 years. I'm guessing they went back through...
  7. EdFred

Any Obstruction

Last night's game, and I'm watching this whole thing happen from my defensive position at 1B. Batter hits ball to gap between LF and LC. SS goes out to take cut-off throw, 2B moves to third base side of second base to back up the cut-off throw to the SS. Batter-runner safely advances to...
  8. EdFred

What do you want in a league?

...or what is your perfect league, and how much would you be willing to pay for it? Around here we have no leagues that I would consider great. Something is wrong with each one of them. Either someone trying to squeeze too much out of it, and letting the fields go to ****, or the cities...
  9. EdFred

Would you want an Ink or Freak+ ??

NSA team this year got big $$$ from Miken. So, we have to swing their stuff for tourneys. Which would yo go with? All I've swung is a 98 and a Limited for one season before some tool slammed it on the ground and broke it.
  10. EdFred

Gulf Shores, AL

I'm going to be flying down there tomorrow or Saturday. Might toss the glove and turfs in the plane if anyone is taking BP or needs a scrub for any leagues that might be happening until about next Thursday.
  11. EdFred

What would you do?

Over the past 4 years or so, I subbed for a team, and last fall they asked me if I could play full time because they needed a pitcher, and I said I could do that. This spring they asked ifif I could play with them again and I said sure. Well spring/summer season is ending and I hadn't heard if...
  12. EdFred

Fair game or no?

Was playing in a local tourney this weekend, and was watching one of the games on the field we were to play on next. Guy hits a moon shot to one of the IFers for the 3rd out, comes back to the bench, walks behind the backstop and throws his Salvo into the trash bin, and then went out to play...
  13. EdFred

Any How do you deal with an umpire like this?

One that causes us to lose a tourney? OK, not really, it was us not hitting at all that caused us to lose, however, I have never seen a plate umpire this bad. She (I suppose I could stop there and would explain everything, but) had this "strike zone" that was just all over the place...
  14. EdFred

Weirdest things have seen happen/called in a game 2012 edition

Last week was first week of league night, and we will probably end up #2 #3 or #4 in a 5 team league, but the team we played was awful and I feel bad for them only 1 week into the season. Probably the worst team I've ever seen. It's the top of the first inning, already 19-0 and we're trying...
  15. EdFred

Swinging Bunt Team #11

Helps if I put the correct title in. fml Lets hear from everyone. C: Mike Long Brad Belcher Chad Conger Chad Refett Craig Christensen Dan Wingler Doug Landando Ed Frederick Jordan Plock Ken Rose Nik Diemer Tony Krauss
  16. EdFred

Any Fly out, runner leaving early appeal.

I didn't want the question to get lost in the other two threads. Same scenario, 1 out, runner on 3rd and another runner on. Trailing runner leaves early, runner on third does not. Does the appeal have to include getting the ball to the occupied base and touching it and if so - is that the...
  17. EdFred

2012 Detroit Tigers

Discuss .
  18. EdFred

Trust me I can PLAY

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/act/2923477325.html
  19. EdFred

All aboard the Green Baynd Wagon.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/7377467/dallas-cowboys-second-green-bay-packers-america-team-poll-landslide Pathetic.
  20. EdFred

Damn. Need more players like this.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7370634