Search results

1. A

11 inch ball tourneys

Have any of you guys played in tourneys which used the 11 inch ball exclusively? Any advantages? Disadvantages? Were there more bombs? Same number?
  2. A

Miken Revex blowing apart

Has there ever been an issue with the Revex (or any Miken stick for that matter) completely blowing apart? I'm not talking about a cracked bat here, but rather a Revex with just league use having the endcap and some of the insides blowing out. Yesterday, my buddy's Revex sounded like a...
  3. A

Our first 5v5v5

Tomorrow we're putting on the first ever 5v5v5 tournament here in the state of Kansas. (at least to the best of my knowledge). We ended up with 7 teams so it should be a lot of fun. Wish us luck!
  4. A

Any Rundown interference?

Situation. Runner on first with one out. Fly ball to LF, LF guns to 2b. Runner was leaning too much and gets caught in rundown. 2B throws to 1B, 1B to 2B, 2B to pitcher. In the middle of the rundown as the ball is traveling from 2b to P, runner puts his hands up, in an effort to distract P...
  5. A

Would you protest?

Men's league tournament. I'm watching after our game earlier in the evening. Team 1 trots out about a 9-year old kid to play right field in the top of the seventh during a 21-9 game. Team 2 makes a comeback before losing to Team 1, 21-18. League rules say any player must have completed his...
  6. A

Any What is your most embarrassing/funny moment as an umpire?

I umpire little league so I know what kind of a thankless job it can be, especially when dealing with men's league. But here's a chance to show you guys are human too, so I'm just curious as to what is your most embarrassing/funny moment as an umpire?
  7. A

League home run rules

How does your league handle home run rules? Our league is allowed 4 HRs a game then they become dead ball outs. Last night, a team was whining because they ended up hitting something like 4 or 5 DBOs saying a ball like that is penalizing a good hitter and it should just be a foul ball...
  8. A

Any How much do you get paid?

OK gentlemen, but what do you get paid per game? Does the rate change from league to tourneys?
  9. A

Any Interference judgement?

The situation, Runner on first, none out. Batter hits a grounder to second, which the second baseman charges, fields and tags out the runner. After the tag, the runner backs up, staying in the fielder's potential throwing lane within the baseline, thereby breaking up the potential double play...
  10. A

Head scratching call horror stories

What's the call which left you most dumbfounded? Mine: Playing in a tourney, first inning and the bases are loaded. Batter hits a bouncer to our 3B who fields it cleanly, steps on third and throws home. Catcher puts a tag on the runner who was out for the double play. Guy on third, steps...
  11. A

Should it be a forfeit?

Our league tournament started last night. After a 14 game season, we wrap up with a double elim tourney which seems to get a little serious. During the regular season, our league put a "must have played in 4 games" to be eligible for the tourney to prevent a team from loading up with ringers...
  12. A

Head scratching call stories

So have any of you been left standing there shocked at a call or an explanation of a call? We were playing in a tourney. The umpire's strike zone had started out sketchy at best as I had walked two guys, both of whom told me, "Oh yeah dude, it was strike three," as they were standing on...
  13. A

Fixing the field

Our league infield was recently redone. However the parks department used a ton of Turface on and now, instead of a soft, smooth infield, we have a potential disaster. From what I understand, they were supposed to till the Turface into the field. I can't tell if they did and then deposited the...
  14. A

What is the coldest temp you would hit your Miken

I'm just curious to what is the coldest temp in which you would continue to hit your bat? I've got a brand new Izzy Psycho and I don't want to swing it in anything less than 65 degrees. Am I being too cautious here?
  15. A

Any Proper appeal prodcedure

Maybe the reds/blues can get on here and explain the proper appeal procedure. Does there have to be a throw to the bag? How do the procedures differ from Utrip, ASA and NSA?
  16. A

Do you change up the lineup?

When do you shake up the lineup with changes? Our last three games we've scored 12, then 8, then 5 with the same lineup and aren't hitting the dirt if we were swinging at the dirt. Outside of two or three guys, the rest of the team couldn't hit pavement if we fell on the street.
  17. A

Bat reviews

Why are there some models of bats which aren't reviewed? I'm a Miken fan, but yet, I don't see reviews for the Miken Super Freak Maxload either from the pre '13 standards to ones which conform with the new standards. There are several other ones which don't make the list as well.
  18. A

Head scratching call horror stories

Playing in a tourney and I was pitching. It's the top of the first inning and I just walked two back-to-back hitters who both got to first and told me "That was strike three dude. I shouldn't have walked." I'm a little frustrated by this ump but I can't do anything about it. Bases are now...
  19. A

Player playing up and then back down

I need to know the correct ruling on when a player can play up in a classification and when they can play back down. We were playing in a USSSA "E" tournament on Saturday morning after action on Friday night. The team we are playing against has a player who played in his team's E game on...
  20. A

Any Going back in time

After reading a different thread on the boards, I wanted an umpire's official ruling on this play/call. We were in a back and forth battle with a team during a league tourney elimination game. I ask the ump how many outs and he said "Two." The next batter flies out and we go to bat. Our lead...