Search results

1. Rous

Need help with choosing 1st base glove for legion baseball

Had he been LHT, it certainly would have answered why a coach would want to move him from third to first! The DCT is stamped 13" by Rawlings, but they measure more like 12.5" (and most that size are stamped 12.75"). BTW, lots of manufacturers make a version of that pattern as the patent expired...
  2. Rous

Thoughts on my planned father’s day purchase

I have had both 502s and 504s in my hands over the years. Def not thumb to pinkie patterns. I'd say thumb to middle is what they like. In my experience, the 502 is a marginally narrower glove with a correspondingly smaller hand stall. And neither really likes TIP grip. If you are a size L...
  3. Rous

Thoughts on my planned father’s day purchase

Don't be baggin on the best web ever!!!
  4. Rous

13" Marucci Capitol Series 79R2

On its way to Cali!
  5. Rous

13" Marucci Capitol Series 79R2

For sale, $180 to your door (PayPal for payment). Excellent/mint condition. MSRP on these is $349, but It really measures 12.5" and it really seems like an older Mizuno outfield pattern as it is longer and narrower. The handstall would be great for someone with smaller hands, but the shallower...
  6. Rous

Downsizing - Reducing my Glove Collection

Where do you have these up for sale? More pics of the SBB? A price?
  7. Rous

Downsizing - Reducing my Glove Collection

Oh my! What models are these? You know I love me a nice basket web! I've been out of the market for long enough that I don't have a good sense of prices.
  8. Rous

Vintage Nokona KANGA-TAN ...... looking for info

So the catalogs from the baseballglovecollector have the black patch fading out, but still in some use, as late as 1991-'92. And the white patch is in place by '94-'95. Yours may still be late '70s early 80s though. Given the semi-kangaroo construction, early 80s is my new guess.
  9. Rous

I am almost sure they had the new oval patch for 2000. And then with 9-11, they went to a flag background on the patch for 2002. About 2004 or 2005 they went with a bright red patch with Peta Nocona's head in profile. Then in 2007 or 2008 the bright red became more of a maroon.
  10. Rous

I just found this in the SBF archives. I posted it shortly after having lunch with Joe. "Up until 1985 Nokona used the old school black patch with a gold script "Nokona." They hired a marketer (that I have met here in Dallas) and he told them it had to go. So they dumped it, but it took until...
  11. Rous

I haven't talked to him in years, but I know Joe. He worked for a firm that did Nokona marketing for years. IIRC, he told me it was his idea to dump the black and gold. And for a period of about 5 years they did no patches, just stamps. Then the white patch era began (I think Joe had some input...
  12. Rous

From your pics, I'd say it is just the back of the fingers that is kangaroo.
  13. Rous

The Kangaroo leather is more like 3 oz. rather than the 4.5 oz cowhide Nokona used back then. You should be able to tell if it feels pretty thin. My son had a teammate back 10 years ago whose dad had a Nokona first base mitt made entirely out of kangaroo. It was the flimsiest glove I have ever...
  14. Rous

Oh man, I'm going to have to dig into the old memory files on this one! I think the black and gold patches were used from the 1960s until 1985. Then they just used black stampings until the white patches were introduced around 1990. They used grommets later than you'd think, but I still think...
  15. Rous

The Pinky Patch…..Rawlings greatest era?

When you factor in the design quality (sorry Bob C), it is hard to argue your point. I'm not sure if they are buying cheaper leather or if there just isn't any good leather any more, but the pinkie patch ones are mainly great gloves.
  16. Rous

After 100 games, my nokona edge X review.

Their labor costs are high. Back when Wilson and Rawlings were in the same boat, it worked. now that Wilson and Rawlings have moved production overseas and can sell for less, Nokona has no choice but to go upscale.
  17. Rous

After 100 games, my nokona edge X review.

Thanks for getting this going! In for pics!
  18. Rous

First Base Mitt with Good Palm Padding?

There was a guy in one of the FB groups that said kids need to be taught to wear their gloves like the pros, TIP with just their fingers in the glove and closing them thumb to pinkie (see Beltre below). I pointed out that kids don't have hand strength for that and his response was that you have...
  19. Rous

First Base Mitt with Good Palm Padding?

It is interesting. Older glove designs were made so that the ball usually hit in the pocket, right below the web. They closed thumb to middle finger or even thumb to index finger. No fingers in the impact zone. But now everyone says they want to break in a glove to close thumb to pinkie. Now the...
  20. Rous

So I bought my final, very very last glove….again!

That’s just crazy. I wish they’d just give new patterns a new model number,