Search results

1. W

Am I being a tool?

Played catcher the other night and the other team got pissed at me for talking behind the plate. I never yelled or did anything to try and startle them. I would say things like "that's a nice pitch" or "oh that's strike three". I guess that kind of stuff has never bothered me, granted if I was...
  2. W

Glasses for ball

Zennioptical.com Super cheap prescription glasses as low as $6.99 with lenses. I have ordered around 50 pairs from them for myself and family over the last 10 years.
  3. W

Any Unsportsmanlike Conduct?

Joker, I read StickCollector and don't interpret anything about a tag, I agree with you that fake tags should be an ejection, but I think he is talking about a fake catch. I have never seen anything that says it's illegal to pretend I caught the ball if I'm no where near any type of tagging...
  4. W

Offline throws

Chleb, No difference, as I already said, "The defense NEVER can impede a runner (doesn't matter where the runner is) while fielding or attempting to field a THROWN ball. Jlee, you and JABn should start your own forum called "I DONT HAVE A FRICKEN CLUE WHAT THE RULES ARE" and stay there.
  5. W

Offline throws

JAB, As someone else mentioned on another umpire thread, "YOU NEED TO QUIT POSTING"! In ASA a fielder NEVER has the right to impede a runner while going after a thrown ball. Different story for a batted ball though.
  6. W

Running back to avoid tag

No. The rule against running backwards, only applies from home to first base.
  7. W

ASA rule/question

It drives me crazy when guys have to step out of the box, redo the Velcro on both of their batting gloves, adjust their vagina protector then hold their hand up to the ump while they spend 10 seconds "digging in" before they are ready for the second pitch of a ball coming at 6.3 miles per hour...
  8. W

Strike Zone

UREOUT, The drawings you are showing appear to me to show that the "Strike Zone Mat" is only the gray part of the drawing. Since they have taken the time to shade only the mat area, I would take that to mean that's the "Strike Zone".
  9. W

does a called strike have to hit the ground?

One of my teammates tried to tell me that a pitch that is not swung at needs to hit the ground in order for it to be called a strike. What he was getting at is if the catcher catches it before it hits the ground, it CAN't be called a strike. I argued that where it lands (as long as it doesn't...
  10. W

ASA batter timeout

Didn't ASA make a change a few years ago that a batter doesn't automatically get time out if they step out of the box between pitches.
  11. W

ASA Calling "Time"

What about a batter asking for time between every pitch and stepping out of the box.
  12. W

Any Fielder runs into runner on base path

Irishmafia, I agree the basepath is irrelevant. I just was pointing out a common misunderstanding of the rules by Wkndsoftballer that he has some right to the "basepath".
  13. W

Any Fielder runs into runner on base path

I think there is also no "basepath" until a play is made on you, it definitely is not automatically a straight line from 1st to 2nd.
  14. W

USSSA Batter taking an out instead of hitting

EAJuggalo, You CAN carry the bat all the way around the bases in ASA.
  15. W

ASA Strike Zone

Ok NCASAUmp Lets just forget everything that I originally posted and go from here then. Can someone show me how a 6' high pitch that lands 1" behind the plate ever be in the "strike zone"
  16. W

ASA Strike Zone

Sully - A really flat legal pitch I'm talking about is probably only 12 inches off the ground when it crosses the front of the plate. So I guess your either quite the accomplished hitter or a damn midget if "IT DOESN'T GET MUCH MORE HITTABLE THAN THAT" Most of all YOU NEED TO LEASRN TO...
  17. W

ASA Strike Zone

Fin 09 - I have no reason to lie, it was not me MP 33 - I am known in the area as a long time ump who never complains about calls. Frequently umps will approach me after a game and that's exactly how this conversation started, he came to my dugout and asked me what I thought about the other...
  18. W

ASA Strike Zone

Does anyone remember a thread that had diagrams from a side view of a pitch flight and how where it lands relevant to different maximum heights and how that translates to the strike zone over the plate? Last night the other team had a guy watch strike 3 on a pitch that was about 6 feet high...
  19. W

Any Fielder faking a close play

AH23 you're making stuff up "Guys, the fake tag/faking the catch is a safety rule to protect the runner from unnecessary injury if there isn't an actual play on the runner. " The rules says nothing about a fake catch, only a fake tag. I agree with Bretman, the fake tag is illegal, but...
  20. W

ASA Basepath

Thanks for the replies but still haven't found it in a case book. The other guy thinks it has to be a direct line.