Search results

1. N

ASA Flat pitch?

Is the minimum 6' from the ground or the point of release? Our main league says from the point of release in it by laws. Thanks.
  2. N

How to position your outfielders?

Sounds like an odd alignment. Up until last year, we played in a high level Co-Ed division. You had to have equal M-F breakdown at P/C, IF, OF. So, if a F pitched, a M had to catch, etc. There were some "big" sticks in that league. Very rare to see a F pitching. In the last Co-Ed...
  3. N

Descending HR's? Thoughts?

But the visiting team did have a chance to get equal and go one up in their half of the inning. Technically the visiting team would have the "right" or "opportunity" to hit two home runs if they were down by one HR. The home team would only have the right to hit one HR if down by 1 and none if...
  4. N

225'...that's a pop up...LOL We play 315' or 325'. Factor in some prevailing wind and it gets a little tougher. I love it when guys on 290' or less fences tout how easy it is to hit the 52/300 out.
  5. N

2016 Jeff Hall HD52 ASA

It looks like new ones are selling around $250, but I haven't really researched it. I have seen used for $150ish.
  6. N

I've never really understood the rule that allows the visiting team the opportunity to go plus one HR in the last inning, but the home team cannot go plus one.
  7. N

ASA Floating Strike Zone in ASA?

This has happened with several umps in an ASA league and I am curious if I am missing something. Batter standing way off the plate and forward in the box. Pitch crosses the knees and lands behind the back foot. But, the ball is about a foot inside of the plate and never crosses the plate...
  8. N

Best 1st base mitt for slowpitch? ?

I have a custom PM mitt and really like it. 14" with room to park the pinkie and ring finger in the pinkie slot, so the glove plays even bigger. I got it on a whim after shoulder surgery relegated me to first for a year and it is cool having a glove built to my specs. There are several custom...
  9. N

Dealing with nerves on the field.

Routine calms the nerves. Get a pregame and at bat routine. I like to get there early, take my time, get in a few of throws and set the tone. Don't waste time with your pre-at bat routine, get ready while the batter in front of you is stepping in to the box. Everyone is different, find what...
  10. N

.52 balls- Have they made you a better hitter?

Not sure this "makes someone a better hitter", but it has started to heat up in Central VA with the temps in the upper 80's, and this has caused the ground to harden a little. Last night in one game (make up), our team had three hits bounce over a 315 fence for a ground rule double. The...
  11. N

2016 Jeff Hall HD52 ASA

Now that I have about 40 game ABs and about 700 BP swings, it seems that the ball is coming off the bat a little quicker and I am able to hit line drives with more "authority". Starting to see line drives carry 300-325 a little more frequently. I am not a "cut" swing hitter, so I rarely have...
  12. N

"Sorry Pitch"

I agree. Use the 52/300 and go to 9 OF and move the fences. This would also help keep more teams in play, since 9 players wouldn't create a shortage of fielders for a team. :thumb:
  13. N

"Sorry Pitch"

In our ASA league, if the batter makes any comment that implies intent to hit a pitcher, he is supposed to be automatically ejected. An ejection triggers an automatic 2 game suspension. I like this rule. There has been talk off an on for several years about creating a line in front of the...
  14. N

Guys are getting forced at 2nd and 3rd on well hit balls to LF/LC. Our OF's are in their mid 20's and have excellent arms. The plays are close, but the fact that the young guys can play in more now gives them more opportunities to make throws on balls hit right at them. It happens once or...
  15. N

Our league mandates using the Evil 52/300, and we have to buy them from the league. Tuesday night I noticed the ball felt even softer than usual. I had a chance to check out the ball we were hitting after someone fouled it out of play, the ball felt like it was wrapped with over 1'4" of foam...
  16. N

Not a masher with limited BP time, quick bat break in

So...I have had this discussion with several folks who tell me I am full of beans. This is based on comparing a 52/300 vs. a 44/375 ball. I say that the 52/300 will deform more on harder more square contact, which can result in "erratic" ball flight. Thus, a batter who consistently "squares...
  17. N

Last night in the last half of the second game, the wind picked up blowing out. It was my first chance to see the 52/300 ball going with the wind. The bottom half of the order of the opposing team had several very weak hitters. Needless to say several pop ups carried to the OF and one "can of...
  18. N

Giving up on a bat too soon...

Aside from the *safety factor*, isn't the secondary purpose of the 52/300 ball to eliminate the advantage of a broken in or altered bat?
  19. N

Better hitter? These balls definitely penalize you for hitting them "square". I have hit several square, where the ball takes off on a line only to knuckle in the OF like a wiffle ball. A few confound the OFers and find grass, but a few also "balloon" up and go from a well struck line drive...
  20. N

2016 Jeff Hall HD52 ASA

This weekend, I finally got a day above 75 to put some more swings on the JH HD52. We hit on a 325' field. The bat is now getting close to 500 BP swings on the 52/300 ball. The biggest thing I notice is that the barrel has less "dead" spots. I am able to consistently drill the top of the 6'...