Search results

1. I

Double hit question

A batter took a swing at a pitch and clearly nicked it and then on his follow through the ball clearly hit his bat again which at that point caused the ball to clearly go above his and the catchers head. The catcher makes the catch. What is the call?
  2. I

Out of play question

R1 on first. Batter hits a line drive to right field. R1 is on his way to third and the throw comes in from right field and goes out of play. Batter is already on first at the time of the errant throw. Where do runners end up?
  3. I

Infield fly scenario

Runners on first and second, no outs. Batter hits a medium high pop up in between the pitcher and catcher. Infield fly is immediately called, batter is out. Pitcher made a little effort to try and get to the ball but since it was a senior league he could not get there in time. Catcher never...
  4. I

What do you call

League courtesy run rule states "Unlimited, but a player can only be used as a courtesy runner once per inning." First batter hits a clear single and stops on first. A courtesy runner takes his place. Second batter hits a clear single putting runners on first and second. The second batter...
  5. I

USSSA Offensive ejection question

USSSA game. Batter hits ball over the fence and is offensively ejected, inning ending out and that player spot has to take an out in their batting order but can still play defense. Got that part. Later in the game a rostered player who came up to bat as a substitute for the player who was...
  6. I

How many outs

Runners are on 1st and 2nd. No outs. Batter hits a short pop fly ball in the infield. Infield fly is immediately called. The pitcher makes a play for the pop up but never gets to it and the ball falls to the ground and remains in fair play. Runner on first has come off the base while the...
  7. I

Face masks

Are you umpires wearing a face mask during games?
  8. I

Corona Virus

For those that umpire and play in the warmer states all year round how has this virus effected leagues, games, etc?
  9. I

Floof swing

Batter takes basically a check sing at a high pitch. Clearly trying to aim the ball. Ball lands safely in right field. Clearly a floof swing. He tried to place the ball. Seen it many many times. He uses it to get on base cause the guy is insanely fast. Opposing pitcher is yelling he...
  10. I

Positive experience

I feel the need to share a positive experience. Sometimes we forget to talk about the good of the game. I did a double header the other night. One of the teams played both games. Hadn't seen them before. Bunch of real young guys, maybe early 20s if that. They were chatting and laughing and...
  11. I

Pitching screen

Do any of you umpires do any leagues that use a pitching screen? If so I have a few questions
  12. I

Safe or out

Runner coming into second. The throw beats the runner but is bobbled and dropped. The player covering second has his foot clearly on second base, lays down face down and grabs the ball. Here is the question. His hand was clearly on the ball and he had control but the ball was still on the...
  13. I

Infield fly

Runners on first and second and no one out. Batter hits a sky high fly ball clearly in the infield. Infield fly, batter is out is immediately called. Two fielders both camping underneath and the ball comes down and clangs off one of their wrist, falls to the ground and then rolls all the way...
  14. I

What's your call

Runner from third heading home. Throw beats the runner. Catcher has possession. Close play. Small collission but absolutely no reason to toss or warn either player. Catcher touches runner with ball in glove before runner can touch home but immediately drops the ball on the tag. Umpire...
  15. I

Bunt/chop question

First and foremost I am totally aware as an umpire that bunting and intentionally chopping a ball are illegal plays and are automatic outs. I get that. So here is the play from last night. Player at the plate is a real good ball player but literally cannot shut up ever and pretty much argues...
  16. I

Umpire indicators

Question. What are my fellow umpires favorite to use indicators?
  17. I

Umpire humor

Wanna try a different approach today. I would be interested to hear some things you say to players that are giving you the business over a call or whatever. Looking to see how you interject humor into it. For instance a common thing I hear on close calls is "I don't know about that call Mr...
  18. I

Did I get this right?

Here is the play. Runner on second, one out. Batter hits long fly ball to center. Clear catch is made and called. In the mean time the runner on second clearly leaves early and I see it and he beats the throw to third. During all this I can easily hear the team on the field is going to...
  19. I

USSSA How should an umpire handle this?

So I am doing the first of two games. Not a lighted field. Darkness will be a factor. One of the teams was crushing the other team. In fact we were looking at a very easy mercy run rule. The team ahead is the home team. It's the bottom of 4th and they finish their at bat way ahead. All we...
  20. I

Another crazy situation

So here is the situation. 2 games being played at the same time. One is on a lighted field with more games coming after the first game and my game is the only game on the non lighted field. My game is a playoff game with the winner moving to the lighted field to play the winner over there for...