Search results

1. D

debate this obscuration or no call?

Based on the video, you cannot make a determination on obstruction as you cannot see the runner. You have no idea if the runner altered her path, slowed down, decided to slide early, etc. This may or may not be obstruction.
  2. D

USSSA MWS finals.

This is directly from the 2020 USSSA Rulebook: ILLEGALLY BATTED BALL is one batted fair or foul by the batter when either one or both of his feet are in contact with the ground COMPLETELY outside the lines of the batter’s box or when his foot is in contact with home plate, or when the ball is...
  3. D

USSSA MWS finals.

The batter's box has been the same size and in the same location for quite some time. Are you saying batter's need the batter's box so they know where to stand?
  4. D

USSSA MWS finals.

Then why have a batter's box?
  5. D

USSSA MWS finals.

Should have been a dead ball out when the batter stepped out of the box to hit the ball.
  6. D

ASA Time Limit - End of Game

If time expires prior to the last out being made then game should be over.
  7. D

ASA Whose call?

So who has fly ball coverage on the infield? Isn't this similar?
  8. D

ASA Whose call?

Agreed, its doubtful either of the other two umpires would be in a position to see it as clearly as plate umpire
  9. D

ASA safe or out

Out, there is no requirement to maintain control of the ball once the base has been tagged by the defender who has possession of the ball.
  10. D

ASA Interesting play

Men's slow pitch, bottom of 7th with 2 outs and R1 and 3rd base and R2 on 2nd base. B3 gets a base hit to the outfield. During his celebration, the ball is thrown in to the pitcher but sails over his head. The on deck batter picks up the overthrown ball. B3 has not yet made it to 1st base...
  11. D

Does opting to walk count as a pitch?

The female batter should NOT be permitted to go directly to first base from the dugout. This prevents issues like this from arising.
  12. D

ASA Training Aids

I'm looking for any training aids on DP/Flex and Batting Order. If you have something you can share it would be appreciated.
  13. D

Can a ump change his call?

Then you should read the rulebook. See Rule 10, Section 3:C
  14. D

ASA what's the call

So, if a batter hits a ground rule double and goes directly to 2nd base without touching first base are you going to allow that? Since its a dead ball do base running responsibilities cease? I don't think so. However, if a batter in FP hits a home run and then removes her helmet (a clear...
  15. D

ASA Foot Out of the Batter's Box making Contact with Ball

You shouldn't cherry pick when or if you make a ruling. If I'm behind the plate and the batter stepped out of the box when contact is made you bet your as* I'm calling him out. I don't care if he went middle or not. That's not part of the rule. The box is there for a reason. If I had my way...
  16. D

ASA what's the call

The runner from 3rd would score the tying run as passing a runner is not a dead ball out. And since the runner from 3rd scored before the out then the run should count. Wow, I missed the score (unless it was changed).
  17. D

Can a ump change his call?

If F3 has possession of the ball while sitting on the base, did not obstruct the batter runner, and before the batter runner got to 1st base then the batter runner is out. Even F3 subsequently lost possession of the ball.
  18. D

ASA runner hit with batted ball

This rule doesn't even apply to the situation in the OP.
  19. D

Any Bat warmers

Rule 3, Section 7 A Note: Warming devices for bats are not approved.
  20. D

Other Walked batter / Pinch runner.

And always walk up to the plate with that "look at me, I'm a slow pitch softball player" and then tell the umpire "I'll give you a verbal"...then pop out to the catcher.