Search results

1. F

Slow Pitch, Pitched Ball hits the ground, bounces and is batted

There is no rule in USSSA slowpitch against batting a bounced pitch and it should be judged fair or foul as any other legally batted ball would. You answered your own question in your comment by quoting rule 7.4.B: it’s a ball if it’s “not swung at.” What that rule is essentially saying is that...
  2. F

ASA What would you rule?

Based on the info so far I don’t have a valid appeal yet. F10 yelling isn’t an appeal. If it’s not a valid live ball appeal R2 can still return to the base if he hasn’t reached second. If the appeal is valid it’s the third out and the run counts.
  3. F

ASA Rule Interpretation or Judgement Call

I would need one clarification. Did the plate umpire say the ball hit the base, or is he saying the ball missed it? (I know you said it hit the base.) If the umpire is saying the ball missed the base then it is a judgment call. If he’s saying it hit the base but it’s foul anyway it’s an...
  4. F

correct call?

Thanks for this...this is one time when U-Trip gets too cute with their rules and should just have the same overthrow award as every other ball-and-bat organization on the planet.
  5. F

correct call?

I am talking about USSSA. I am assuming that the phrase “left early” meant the runner from 2nd tagged up but left early. If he never went back I agree the award is 3rd, but according to our UIC if the runner attempted to tag up but left early you award the bases as if he had legally tagged up...
  6. F

correct call?

Just to clarify, as long as the runners did something resembling tagging up, they should have been awarded home and third. Then, presuming the runner from second never corrected the error, a legal appeal should be upheld.
  7. F

Foul Ball/Tag Up

I’m a USSSA ump...we have plenty of dumb rules (one base on a dead ball when required to retouch, batting pitches that bounce, etc.) but I actually like this one. It allows you to catch a ball straddling the line on the strikeout foul without having to let it drop to see if it’s foul.
  8. F

Pitched ball bounces, hit back into fair territory. Called dead and a strike ?

Got burned by this my first year working USSSA. Now I don’t open my mouth when a pitch bounces short in case a batter swings. They can figure out it’s a ball.
  9. F

Player hits foul pole

They're not foul poles if there's no fence. Just for another example if a ball hooks around the inside of the pole in the air but lands foul it's a foul ball. We have a field like that near me and I have to point that out every week in the ground rules for the one time a year it happens.
  10. F

Picking up bats

I only touch a bat if it's laying right where I expect to be to make a call, and then I only slide it back a few feet with my foot. To me, anything else and I'm risking becoming involved in the play.
  11. F

Umpire humor

I find that humor only works if as an umpire I'm hustling and making it clear I'm working my hardest. Otherwise I'm lazy and obnoxious. But humor (and common courtesy) diffuse situations well. One of my favorites (with players and teams that I have familiarity with) is when a player yells from...
  12. F

USSSA Overruled Call

Thanks...that was my gut feeling but honestly I wasn't sure.
  13. F

USSSA Overruled Call

That was the crux of my question...if the out at first was the third out (and clearly thanks to NCASA I know it's not) then the third out would be the B-R at first, negating the run.
  14. F

USSSA Overruled Call

Had this situation in a game and was wondering if my partner and I got this right... 1st and 3rd, one out. Grounder to 2B who throws to 1B who is somewhat late getting to the bag and swipes at it with his foot. My partner in the field rules 1B missed the base and calls the batter-runner safe...
  15. F

USSSA Pitching Rule

Thanks for the help EA...total guess on my part. Glad I lucked into the right answer.
  16. F

USSSA Pitching Rule

Thanks for the replies...I'll add a couple of things...he clearly released it underhanded and then kicked it...he must have practiced it because he nearly "threw" it for a strike. The pitcher told me after the game that he was fooling around with it during the winter and wanted to try it in his...
  17. F

USSSA Pitching Rule

I'll preface this by saying that I'm an umpire and I'm at a loss on this one... Working a tournament the other day, the pitcher released a pitch underhanded and then right after releasing the ball, kicked it towards home plate. Thank God the ball was outside anyway...but I decided to call it...