10 Man National Invitational - Labor Day Weekend in Drifton Pa

Good luck fixing all the BS that has gone on down their over the last 10-15 years. Is that a B tournament? That's a joke in itself! Every state seems to be different on how they categorize teams. Some states only have 2 divisions and they call them B and C. That means the best teams in that particular state are B teams. In Pa the have Open, A ,B and C. The best teams in Pa are classified as Open and A and are not allowed to play at Drifton Labor Day. What are you going to do about that?

Salwarrior

Extra Hitter
I hear you. All I can say is that I will do my best. I realize that outside of Pa there are different classifications than we have in Pa. That is why Pennsylvania A teams are allowed in this tournament. A step in the right direction. The other thing that we are doing is that we will be using the Pa Pitching rule that limit the height of the backswing to more more that a right angle (hip-shoulder-ball). Go to my site www.10manmodified.com for specifics. I am not saying it will be perfect, but as the Tournament director and with over 40 years of pitching the original Medium Pitch I am confident we are moving in the right direction.

Dunc4

Manager
JUSTFISH - I don't think anyone complains more on this site than you...maybe u can just fish instead of bitching about softball pitching rules?

Dunc, where in my post do you see me complaining about pitching. The complaint is about classification, that has nothing to do about pitching. We have not been allowed to play in that tournament because we were classified as 10 man open and 9 man A.

You are correct about me complaining about pitching, but I wasn't this time, maybe next post, if that would make you happy.

tsmoke18

Addicted to Softballfans
Are they running the "A" tournament the weekend before? What pitching are they using that weekend?

Salwarrior

Extra Hitter
In the past the weekend before Labor Day was supposed to be a 10 Man A Tournament. But they let any style pitching go. The last several years there were very few teams to show up. Last year it was cancelled. So that tournament (10 Man A with 9 man pitching rules) is no more.
The 10 Man Tournament over Labor Day weekend will allow ASA "A" teams but only allow 10 Man pitching rules. In fact we are using the Pa Pitching which restrict the height of the backswing to no more than a right angle created by the hip-shoulder-ball. Check out www.10manmodified.com which will explain in detail.

Mattx10x

Addicted to Softballfans
Besides the normal Drifton pitching travesties, one drop of rain and the tourney is cancelled. I'll see you in Michigan. Drifton is a sh*t show.

Salwarrior

Extra Hitter
Matt10x - You are right. That has been one of the issues that have come in in the past few years. One that I aim to correct. I know teams were burned by the failures of the recent Tournament Director. That is why the ASA of Pa has taken corrective actions and appointed me as the Tourney Director. I am still an active pitcher (4 different leagues, 2 in Pa, 1 in NJ, one on Staten Island). So I understand the need to do everything to get the tournament in. I do not expect to turn it around in 1 year. But I will do my best. If you check out my site at www.10manmodified.com (which I had developed my own dime) you will see the effort is there. The trust was broken - I will do my best to get it back, but it will take time for those who were burned.

Swash11

Addicted to Softballfans
Good Luck

Best of luck with Labor Day Sal. A lot of potential to have a great tournament again for all the teams not going to Nationals.

cheeks159

Addicted to Softballfans
Drifton

I think one thing that should be considered is that there is no prizes/awards given to the top teams in Drifton. This is a big enough tournament and has enough talent that individual performances should be recognized. I realize that this is not the true National, but it has always been considered the NIT to the National. There are similar tournaments run in the Northeast with a lot of the same teams (an example is the Swash Memorial Day tourney). This was an excellently run tournament done by a group of guys that know softball. Even though the weather was terrible on Saturday, it went off relatively smoothly. They were able to give monetary winnings to the top teams. Why doesn't this happen in Drifton? It would give incentive to go there.

My point is that Drifton has the reputation for TAKING and not giving back. If you want to be successful again, this should be considered.

Thoughts?

pmcsthirdgrade

The Veteran
I agree. Cash prizes will attract more talent/teams. My team loves 10man modified but we can't find tourneys to play in. Most modified tourneys charge top $$$ and payout very little. I hope the Labor Day tourney in Drifton can become a household yearly tourney. Good Luck

Elohssa6

Addicted to Softballfans
Follow the ASA 10man rules. There is a book written by the ASA, why augment it???

Put in a bid to host the ASA national.

End of story.

It seems to me that most umpires and directors of tournaments fail to understand the rules as they are written in the ASA manual for 10 man modified. I don't think Sal is trying to augment the rule as much as he is trying to clarify and make it simpler to understand.

gofisch

I agree with the last two posters. But there is much more to the rules than just the backswing height. But at least he is trying. :D

tsmoke18

Addicted to Softballfans
I know the A tournament with open pitching was cancelled last year, it would be great to see them try and run it again this year.

You will never get cash prizes out of an ASA tournament, that would mean they will make less money, and ASA wont part with their money

Salwarrior

Extra Hitter
Since Drifton is an ASA National Invitational, I am Not sure if Cash Prizes would be allowed by the ASA. I will check. In lieu of Cash Prizes what would be considered an adequate substitute (Jackets?, No entrance fee for next year? Gift Certificates to ****s, Sports Authority?) Suggestions.

purehitter33

Addicted to Softballfans
Modified

i known Sal for long time, he very good for our game! I know my team (dino's)will be at the drifton Labor Day tourney! How good we do is another topic! Hope to play some good ball that weekend and meet some of the fella from this board! Anyone having 10 man tourney please keep me posted. - demps

Old dirty basta

Addicted to Softballfans
I'll see it when I believe it at drifton. A little note sal maybe you should make two categories on your site. What is and isn't legal. Plain as day right down the middle.

purehitter33

Addicted to Softballfans
Listen guys, Sal not some nitwit who's never played our gm, making dumb ass decisions. He's one of us, sure he will do whatever he's gotta do to help this game survive! We gotta do our part. Iam on board sal!

Sinni's1

Addicted to Softballfans
Love when people constantly complain about the pitching rules. If it is drifton or asa nationals guys are going to get away with what they get away with. Neither tourney gives away money, and they are both run by ASA. They are the same. The real problem people should be worried about is the bats. Everyone wants pitchers to throw slow pitch, and they juice there bats up. Go play slow pitch if you want this.

KATMAN23

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree with sinni I have a picture of a juice bat it is
Bent from the swing this shouldn't happen. Down in Staten island. Bats bats bats

Bizze B34

Manager
I've posted this before but easy fix on bats is that the tournament supplies
them, make a deal with Easton or Demarini to supply a dozen bats and let them put signs up around the complex and be allowed to sell their merchandise on site, forget the x-ray machine, puts the teams on a even
field concerning bats ,some guys are going to hit 350 ft shots with a wooden bat cause they are just that good, but when you see 20+ HR in a weekend
(Things that make you go hmmmm) just my 2 cents

Salwarrior

Extra Hitter
As a pitcher who is 39 feet away from a batted ball when I release, no one knows the situation with the bats more than me (or any other pitcher). I have been hit 3 times already this year. Once it must have been with a juiced bat because the bat was then put in the dugout and never came out the rest of the game. But even without juiced bats we have an issue. The ASA approved bats are tested using a pitch speed of 50 plus a swing speed of 60 to make sure the ball does not come off greater than 98MPH. How did they come up with 60 MPH as a swing speed (ans. = NCAA women). In my swing speed studies of men (off a T so it is not 100% accurate) the average is 85 MPH. With some guys going over 100MPH. In other words, probably every bat including single walls produce a BBS of greater than 98 MPH. Enough said. I accept the risk (as all pitchers and infielders do) every time we play the game. Keep those last 3 words in mind "play the game". Great to still be playing as long as the body holds out and I can still strike out a 20 year old.

I think their should be two different standards for bats. The existing one for slow pitch and a stricter one for modified. The pitcher and the corner infielders are at much greater risk playing modified.