14 gloves?!!

defos

After our slow pitch game Sunday a couple of my teammates were talking about bats - the ones they've bought recently, the ones they want, and how they "aren't going to buy anymore" for a while. One of the guys compared his bat buying habit to me and my "14 gloves". I said, "14?! No no, no, no. It's way more than 14."
He thought he was exaggerating. I said I didn't know if I should be offended (that he thought I had only 14), or embarrassed and disgusted with myself (for having way more than 14). Sitting here at my desk in the basement surrounded by a tremendous amount of clutter, I can SEE 15, about 1/2 of which I have used, or would. The rest are cheapies I've picked up for loaners or to sell to PIAS (who had no used gloves this summer), or too small, too old, need repair, etc. The 15 I can see don't include the 2 in my bat bag, 1 in the batpack, 6 or so in the duffel bag behind me, more loaners in another bag, 2 GGE 1st base mitts, the 4-6 T-ball gloves I've picked up for my 2 yr old granddaughter and her month old brother, and probably at least another dozen I can't see - all of which are within 6 feet of my chair. Then there's 1 in my truck, a bunch of old ones in the closet upstairs, and 3-4 loaners at the church field.

I might have a bigger problem than my friend with his bats.

moren025

Addicted to Softballfans
I keep telling myself to take a break too from buying after I stopped playing a couple years back. It’s just when you see a nice piece of leather...

defos

Most of the gloves are well used low end gloves, but I do have 4 ProPreferreds, a couple HOHs, 2 early GGEs, the 2 recent GGE 1st base mitts are like new, and there are 2 "new" 10 yr old Gold Glove GGP502s.

I don't pay retail for much of anything. If I don't think it's a deal I can at least break even on, I don't buy it. I probably overpaid for 3 of the gloves with that in mind. But I paid $99 shipped for the PROS27 that's my gamer and it was virtually new, an unusual color, and will hold it's value, so I'm ok with the others.

We have a Goodwill Outlet here where you sort through large table bins and pay .99/lb for everything. That's where some of the low end gloves came from. I've found a lot of good stuff there. I could be the local PIAS sole supplier of bat bags, batting helmets, and cleats of all sizes. I can buy bags, cleats, and helmets for $1-2 and sell to PIAS for $4-6 or more. It adds up and helps pay for my habit.

I try to stop buying from time to time, but like moren025 said .... This wouldn't be so bad if I was younger and could play another 15-20 years, but I'm 62. Still playing, but probably won't play long enough to wear anything out.