USSSA 1B fielder catches ball in front of BR, ump calls obstruction?

Arrgh

Addicted to Softballfans
Batter/runner hits ground ball toward SS. SS throws the ball wide, 1B fielder steps into the base path and caught the ball, then the BR runs into him. (They're ok, hugged each other to prevent falling)

We all thought it's an out, but ump calls the fielder for obstructing by being in the base path and award the BR first base. Is that right?

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
If the umpire judged that the fielder coming into the base path caused the BR to slow down or alter their path then it is obstruction. Your scenario sounds to me like I would not have obstruction, and I call it more often than most umpires, but it could be. Sounds to me like an umpire that just got told what the obstruction rule is and wanted to call it.

Arrgh

Addicted to Softballfans
The fielder had to move from 1B toward homeplate direction to catch the ball. The BR was already running hard and was close so could not change direction, and ran into the fielder. It was actually our BR, so our team all thought it was an out and were getting our gloves to go on the field. Then we were all surprised the ump called it obstruction, and awarded our BR the base.

This is not a new inexperienced ump though, he's older, wearing Softball Canada umpire jersey, but it's the first season he umps in our league. It's the same ump who told me I'm not allowed to wear the rigid knee brace. I had a torn ACL, and have been wearing that brace for several years including in other leagues and several SPN (Canada's association) tournaments. In leagues and tournament games I've also seen people wearing the same type of rigid knee brace, no problem. (Our league convener later told the ump to allow me to continue to wear that brace)

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
So the path did not alter until contact was made. If F3 had the ball in their control when the contact was made I would not have obstruction, this should be a non-call, going only on what has been posted here. As far as the umpire, all you can do it ask the question of the UIC. If a UIC gets enough comments about an umpire they will have a discussion with the umpire about the concerns they've heard.

So the path did not alter until contact was made. If F3 had the ball in their control when the contact was made I would not have obstruction, this should be a non-call, going only on what has been posted here. As far as the umpire, all you can do it ask the question of the UIC. If a UIC gets enough comments about an umpire they will have a discussion with the umpire about the concerns they've heard.
I was taught that the fielder has a right to make a play on the ball. Would that be the case here or is it just not interference because F3 has control of the ball?

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I was taught that the fielder has a right to make a play on the ball. Would that be the case here or is it just not interference because F3 has control of the ball?
The fielder has an absolute right to field a batted ball. Anything else and it is the responsibility of the fielder to be out of the way of the runner unless they have the ball. Since the OP involved a throw, it's on the fielder to not obstruct without the ball. If the fielders positioning and actions did not affect the runners speed or path, there is no obstruction. Once the fielder has the ball, they can do whatever they want. Every year at Worlds I get at least one first basemen that plants himself in a position where the batter has to go around him and slow down, every year I call obstruction the first time and award the runner 2nd base, every year I damn near have to throw out the first basemen when he tells me, "I've been doing that for years." Half of them add in the "You're horrible." Then they get to think about what they did since they're gone and don't get to play the next game either.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm amazed at how many 1B I see with such poor footwork that their left leg/foot are somehow in the 1B line as they "brace" to field a throw. There's a couple in particular that I have to give a heads up about every time.....league ball and me trying to prevent an injury/collision prior to a called obstruction situation.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
I used to try to head that off at the plate meetings. Just a simple, "fielders watch where you plant yourself or you could be guilty of obstruction" but that's not really appropriate at a plate meeting because you end up doing a rules clinic and softball superstar (usually named Joey) tries to go down the rabbit hole. Fine line between preventative umpiring and a death spiral conversation.

Now, I just call them when it happens. Explain it when asked. Move on with the game. They eventually learn.

I used to try to head that off at the plate meetings. Just a simple, "fielders watch where you plant yourself or you could be guilty of obstruction" but that's not really appropriate at a plate meeting because you end up doing a rules clinic and softball superstar (usually named Joey) tries to go down the rabbit hole. Fine line between preventative umpiring and a death spiral conversation.

Now, I just call them when it happens. Explain it when asked. Move on with the game. They eventually learn.
How dare you invoke the name of the Joey's with such impunity lmao. As someone often called Joey, you're 100% right it is mostly some asshat named Joey that takes you down that rabbit hole.