Price Check 1st Base SBM100

GT Yankee

Addicted to Softballfans
Hi All,

I have been playing first base since my outfield days ended about 6 years ago. I've continued to use my 14" outfielders glove. I has a huge pocket and is great for scooping balls out of the dirt. As my glove is getting older, I've recently bought two first base gloves. A very nice Rawlings and a so-so Wilson. Long and short, my hands (which are pretty big) feel constrained in both. While I wonder if I might get used to the Rawlings eventually and it is a very large 14" (north to south) glove, it doesn't seem to have the pocket depth of my outfielders glove that is so helpful for the aforementioned scooping. I keep reading how first base gloves are designed to be not as deep in order to allow you to throw quickly. Never had a problem with my outfielders glove in this aspect and I seem to do far more "scoops" than meaningful throws over the course of a game. That brings me to the Nokona SBM100. Some reading here indicated the glove might be a little too large. This would be a dream come true for me. My question is as to the pocket depth. Not specific to this glove, but the one complaint I've heard (limited) about other Nokona first base gloves is they lack pocket depth. Would appreciate hearing from those with SBM100 experience.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I think Nokona softball design have very deep pockets, they just open wider than other gloves. Everyone repeats the rumors of floppiness but I doubt they've actually had one. The sbm100 is a great glove that swallows the ball and takes any sting off if you have some hard throwers. I like the walnut better than the kangaroo, feels sturdier.

Last edited:

Rich4863

Combat Ho
I have this glove

and I like it. Its pretty well broken in & a bit floppy like you mentioned. But I am able to scoop balls in the dirt pretty well because it is a bit big.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I didn't mind the kangaroo floppiness for a 1st base mitt, swallows the ball like a net. I don't like floppiness on an IF or OF glove in case of reaching for a hard liner.

GT Yankee

Addicted to Softballfans
I think Nokona softball design have very deep pockets, they just open wider than other gloves. Everyone repeats the rumors of floppiness but I doubt they've actually had one. The sbm100 is a great glove that swallows the ball and takes any sting off if you have some hard throwers. I like the walnut better than the kangaroo, feels sturdier.

Just for curiosity sake....but not a big deal. Any way to tell the apart the walnut from the kangaroo on the glove itself?

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Kangaroo will have a kangaroo in the palm if I remember right, otherwise it will have a sbm100k model on it.

Rich4863

Combat Ho
I trust it

I don't get it, you like it but don't trust it?

Its just a little bit more flexible then Id like. Good for catching balls, but with the give I wouldnt catch a ball in front of my face. Im also continually oiling it because it dries out so quickly.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
The kangaroo is on the back only (back in the day they made 100% kangaroo gloves, but the kangaroo stretches too much and is thin). They only make a Buckaroo version these days SBM1000K (and only for justballgloves) and the padding is MUCH stiffer than the ones from even 7-8 years ago. They are indeed big, but being designed around 1990, they do not have the modern deep pocket of the Vinci softball mitts.

curveball

Addicted to Softballfans
I have the blond kangeroo SBM100K and it's a lifetime away from being floppy.
In fact, I'd have to say it's stiff.

GT Yankee

Addicted to Softballfans
The kangaroo is on the back only (back in the day they made 100% kangaroo gloves, but the kangaroo stretches too much and is thin). They only make a Buckaroo version these days SBM1000K (and only for justballgloves) and the padding is MUCH stiffer than the ones from even 7-8 years ago. They are indeed big, but being designed around 1990, they do not have the modern deep pocket of the Vinci softball mitts.

Valuable info Rous....Thank you. Of course I received your message after already agreeing to purchase the glove. Now, yet again I'm beating myself up for not just going with the Vinci. I'll let all know when I have it after the weekend what my feedback is, but I'm wondering if I let the extra 1/2" of the Nokona mean too much (14" for the Nokona compared to 13.5" of the apparently deeper pocket Vinci). I did go to the justballgloves site and noticed the one for sale there has a Indian chief on a red oval background patch. The one I'm getting has white square patch where the Indian head is much smaller relative to the patch in red with Nokona in blue script. Does this help to determine which model I might be getting?

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
The white patch Nokona's were made from roughly 1990-2000. Some consider those the best Nokonas ever made, but the SBM100 padding was not as stiff back then.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian

I knew mine was an older one but I didn't know the history of these. It was all kangaroo and extremely light, almost thought something was wrong at first. The one Knave now is all walnut but I have no idea when or who it was made for, just has sbm100 on it.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian

I knew mine was an older one but I didn't know the history of these. It was all kangaroo and extremely light, almost thought something was wrong at first. The one Knave now is all walnut but I have no idea when or who it was made for, just has sbm100 on it.