ASA 2 base runners on the same base...

Jbird11

Talk to me about this one.

If R2 advances to 2nd and is standing on it...and R1 is in a pickle and dives back into 2nd... is anyone out? Or is R2 just open to being tagged?

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Good question. Without looking it up, I'd say that R1 is forced to go to third since R2 is on 2nd, having legally acquired the base, so R1 is liable to be put out even if in contact with 2nd base there. R2 would be safe.

If I'm wrong, NCASAUmp or Bretman will let me know :)

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
R2 is liable to be tagged out. R1 has the right to the base until he is either put out, the inning ends or he reaches third base legally. Just to be safe I'd tag them both and let the ump call it.

Jbird11

R2 is liable to be tagged out. R1 has the right to the base until he is either put out, the inning ends or he reaches third base legally. Just to be safe I'd tag them both and let the ump call it.

So if no one tags anybody, no one is out?

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
When two runners are on the same base, neither one is automatically out. However, depending on the circumstances, only one of them has a legal right to the base. The other runner may be tagged put, even if he's contacting the base.

Which one can be tagged out? If the lead runner was forced to advance, then he's the one you can tag. If the lead runner was not forced, then the trailing runner can be tagged.

On the play in question, I assume that there was a batted ball and the batter-runner is now standing on first. If that's the case, then the lead runner at second is forced and he's the one that can be tagged out.

Otherwise, if there wasn't a batter-runner on this play- like a botched double steal- then nobody is forced to advance and the trailing runner is the one you need to tag.

Last edited:

chiefgator

Crafty Veteran
When two runners are on the same base, neither one is automatically out. However, depending on the circumstances, only one of them has a legal right to the base. The other runner may be tagged put, even if he's contacting the base.

Which one can be tagged out? If the lead runner was forced to advance, then he's the one you can tag. If the lead runner was not forced, then the trailing runner can be tagged.

On the play in question, I assume that there was a batted ball and the batter-runner is now standing on first. If that's the case, then the lead runner at second is forced and he's the one that can be tagged out.

Otherwise, if there wasn't a batter-runner on this play- like a botched double steal- then nobody is forced to advance and the trailing runner is the one you need to tag.

Agreed.

Reading the scenerio, I assume (yes, I know ass U me) that the batter runner was out. Sounds like a fly ball and R1 and R2 both tagged legally. Throw came in to 3rd and R1 retreated to the now occupied 2B. At that point, R2 has to retreat himself back to 1B. If he is tagged out prior to reaching 1B (even if he is still in contact with 2B) he will then be called OUT.

mazzamouth

<font color="#191970">Punching Judy Swinger</font>
if both runner ( unless there was a force) are tagged while standing on the same base, the trail runner is out. The lead runner is still entitled to the base until he advances to, and touches the next base.

mazzamouth

<font color="#191970">Punching Judy Swinger</font>
to make it sound easy if you use the runners as R3 ( would be a runner on 3rd)... R2 ( a runner on 2nd) and R1 a runner on 1st, it will make it a little easier to understand..

So in this play you have R2 and R1 ( a runner on 2nd and a runner on 1st)..

Jbird11

Here was the situation:

Guy on 1st no outs. Batter hits a ball to 2nd who flips to the SS. The SS tries to bare hand it while turning two, but never catches the ball. I rule safe and R1 who was going to 2nd then tries going to 3rd after the dropped ball. While he gets into a pickle, the Batter advances to and is standing on 2nd base. R1 gets out of the pickle by diving back into 2nd, and then an overthrow to the outfield allows R1 to advance all the way home and score.

At the end of the play... the Defense BLOWS up and everyone's in my face. I call both managers over and explain everything I saw...and at the end, I tell them both that I THINK that one of the runners has to be out at the point that they both touched 2nd at the same time.

I disallowed the run, called him out and left the batter on 2nd.

Blew it.. Eff me.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
to make it sound easy if you use the runners as R3 ( would be a runner on 3rd)... R2 ( a runner on 2nd) and R1 a runner on 1st, it will make it a little easier to understand..

So in this play you have R2 and R1 ( a runner on 2nd and a runner on 1st)..

You do a lot of baseball, don't you? ;)

That's baseball's nomenclature. Softball does it differently. The lead runner is always R1, regardless of location. R2 trails R1, R3 trails R2, etc. If bases are loaded with two outs, R1 is on 3B, R2 is on 2B, R3 is on 1B, and B5 is up to bat.

JackoDaddy5

Addicted to Softballfans
It doesn't say that any runner is automatically out if they are both touching the same base, but of course if R2 had started toward 3rd then R1 would be out for being passed. But that first runner didn't have to go to 3rd for any reason so if they would have both been tagged the trailing runner would have been out. Think you got it already but I thought id sum it up a bit as I got a little dizzy reading all these non-sense descriptions

Talk to me about this one.

If R2 advances to 2nd and is standing on it...and R1 is in a pickle and dives back into 2nd... is anyone out? Or is R2 just open to being tagged?