2012-Era Utrip Bats vs. newer 220s vs. newer 240s

kweiss

Addicted to Softballfans
Hey all, old forum member here who hasn't kept up with all the latest bat tech. I'm wondering if bats have improved since I last checked things out around 2012?

From what I understand, the current tiers of utrip bats break down:
  • Newest 240s: Everything currently produced. Least hot.
  • Last of the 220s: Seem to have ended around 2020-2021. Slightly hotter.
  • Original 220 stamps from 2012-2015: ???
I currently swing the 2012 Easton Synergy SP12SY100. (This guy) This bat was some of the first technology that came out when USSSA changed the stamp around 2013. How does this compare to the newer 220 stamped utrips? I'm talking about the type of bats tested in this video... so the Louisville Red Genesis, 2020 Miken Freak Primo, 2020 Easton Fab4 Buddy Wolf, etc.

Is it worth trying to upgrade or do I already have something hot? My league doesn't compression test, so anything with a modern usssa stamp is good to go. Thanks!

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I'm going to go ahead and make some generalizations here regarding 220 and 240 bats... bear with me.

When 220s were first introduced I felt like they were good bats, both in durability and performance. As time went on, companies started making bats less durable (other than Easton). Up to about 2017, Eastons weren't really known for performance, but were VERY durable. Many Easton models from that time would take 1-2000 swings to really get going. However, once they reached optimum hotness they were f'ing ridiculous. Miken, Worth, Demarini, etc have made hot 220s for years. The bats came out of the wrapper ready to roll, and wouldn't last very long before breaking or failing compression.

Toward the end of the 220 era it seemed like no one was making durable bats anymore. Performance was great. Right out of the wrapper all these bats would hit nukes. Even Easton started making flimsy bats. The Fireflex era is known for being ridiculously hot, but failing compression pretty much right away.

240 bats remind me of later 220 bats. They start out hot, and get even hotter. Durability stinks, and 240s don't seem to last more than a couple hundred swings before breaking or failing compression.

If your league allows 220 or 240 bats I'd probably go with a 220. They're much cheaper than 240s, and are still very easy to find.

Your 2013 Easton is probably plenty hot, and durable as well.

kweiss

Addicted to Softballfans
Up to about 2017, Eastons weren't really known for performance, but were VERY durable. Many Easton models from that time would take 1-2000 swings to really get going. However, once they reached optimum hotness they were f'ing ridiculous.
Interesting. Doing the quick math, my 2013 Synergy has at least 1,500+ swings on it. So definitely approaching tank status, and it feels pretty hot, too, although I don't swing as many bats these days to accurately compare. (And all the other bats in my bag are pre-2012 era ASA bats anyway.)

kweiss

Addicted to Softballfans
While we're at it, anyone have recommendations for a 240 bat to eventually replace my 2013 Synergy? @EAJuggalo 's warning that the 220s might get a global ban by 2024-2025 has me looking at options.

I prefer balanced, one-piece bats.
  • Favorite bat of all time is the ASA Easton OG Flex (SCN3).
  • Really liking this 2013 Balanced Synergy (Easton SP12SY100). Also liked my old USSSA Worth Booger (Mayhem120).
  • Never been a big fan of the really flexy two-piece bats like the old Demarini Juggernauts, Easton CXNs, etc. That said, I did prefer the slight flex of the OG Flex SCN3 over the stiffer OG Extended SCX3.
Appreciate any advice for an (old) newbie!

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
While we're at it, anyone have recommendations for a 240 bat to eventually replace my 2013 Synergy? @EAJuggalo 's warning that the 220s might get a global ban by 2024-2025 has me looking at options.

I prefer balanced, one-piece bats.
  • Favorite bat of all time is the ASA Easton OG Flex (SCN3).
  • Really liking this 2013 Balanced Synergy (Easton SP12SY100). Also liked my old USSSA Worth Booger (Mayhem120).
  • Never been a big fan of the really flexy two-piece bats like the old Demarini Juggernauts, Easton CXNs, etc. That said, I did prefer the slight flex of the OG Flex SCN3 over the stiffer OG Extended SCX3.
Appreciate any advice for an (old) newbie!
You and I seem to have similar taste in bats. However, finding decent balanced bats is always a bit of a challenge, especially 1pc.
I'm even doing a bro science backyard experiment. I recently bought an Easton Fab4 Wolf (the purple balanced version), since my league doesn't compression test, and isn't switching to the new stamp. I also own a Easton SV100. Whenever I'm doing backyard tee work, I use my old Salvo because I don't have to worry about it breaking. Yet after all these years, I've never hit the bats back to back. My Easton Salvo probably has well over 1k hits, and my Fab4 probably has 200 tops. However, the Fab4 is lightyears beyond where my Salvo is. Even though I only hit Super Blue Dots (47/525) with my Salvo and only bp 52s with my Fab4 now.

I really wish I had access to a pocket radar, but I'd bet the difference is 10-20mph easily. My question is though. Can I get my Salvo to eventually hit the level of my Fab4 ? Maybe after another 2k hacks on it.

ShortYellowBus

Perhaps I should have chimed in sooner.

First, it’s important to understand why the older bats are called 220 stamp, while the new stamp bats are referred to as 240 stamp bats.

It comes down to how much (value) force is measured to compress a barrel to a determined point. The compression tester pushes down on a bat barrel and gives a reading. If it takes less pressure to hit the determining point, it means the walls flex more easily.

And the easier the walls flex, the better it performs. People roll bats and shave them to make them flex more.

220 bats are hotter than 240 bats. If you take a 240 bat and shave it, it drops the compression number.

Once the bat drops below the threshold, the bat performance factor of 1.2 becomes unreliable, thus illegal. Which means, the compression test is actually a test to determine if the BPF requirement of 1.2 is reliable.

For reference, senior bats test around 180 brand new, and can drop into the low 90’s before breaking.