2014 Easton L4.0 Helmer ASA Only is a dud?

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
Straight out of the wrapper hitting from the backstop (fields wanted us to stay off mound and out of batter's box) I hit 6 out of 25 swings over a 300' fence with another 5-6 falling at the warning track with the wind blowing straight in from left field (I am a right handed hitter).

Switched fields for team practice same day same complex and hit 2 of 8 swings with cross breeze blowing from left field line to right field line. I wasnt going backside probably in the 340' area. My brother was also hitting some to the fence at this time (never has hit a home run).

We've done 3 bp sessions since with both of us swinging it and results are getting worse. I have not hit a home run since the first day and he is getting less distance. We are both noticing that it audibly sounds worse now than new, and the feel is worse than new. I have already pieced together that it is very unforgiving when not hitting the sweetspot, but seems like sweetspot is the size of a dime. Anyone have similar experience or is it possible it's a dud that ran its course in 100 swings?

Similar temps 60-70 degrees all days
Same pitchers
Same balls (assorted ASA hotdot and utrip. Maybe a couple trumps and ASA tattoos mixed in)

I experienced the opposite. I would take my 13 L4s to bed with me if my wife would allow it but the 14 is very good as well. I have about 300 on mine and its still as strong as it started. It did break in quicker than the 13s but I would by no means call it a dud. I wouldnt rule out that you might have gotten a bad one. When they make 1000s of the same bat a few are bound to not be up to par.

kj13

Addicted to Softballfans
2013 L4's are the turth and the 14 l3 takes second. I hated the 14 L4 just never got going. Reminds me of that black and red ASA old stamp helmer from years ago.

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
Update: Probably about 400 swings on it now. Tested compression and it was between 340-350 on all sides. That explains alot in the lack of pop, but doesn't explain why it was decent out of the wrapper and crap now. My brother says he likes it, but like I said never has played more than 1 team a year, and not expecting performance like I do. League starts saturday. Hoping for answers

The fresh out of the wrapper pop I cant answer because Ive never had one of my eastons qualify as hot from the start. What do you normally swing that you are comparing the performance against? I say at 400 swings you are just scratching the surface. Id say closer to 1000 youll see how the bat really is. Its a little tougher to see than the white model but is there any webbing on it yet?

swampdonkey1

Star Player
I have 2 of the L4.0 2014's, can't beat $99 for these. I let my entire team use them right out of the wrapper in batting practice and got them broke in. Took probably 300 hits but they're definitely nice bats. My only thought, do you tend to line a single part of the bat up with the pitcher each time? If the bat not getting broke in evenly all around? I have never had a problem finding the sweet spot and most of my team uses the 4.0's and love them...

M

MJL 00

I think they are super nice bats once have plenty of hit son them, I have a back up one for sale if anyone is interested $100 (26ozer) with receipt and both bar codes. Is game ready IMO. Also these remind me a lot of the old AV just have to not give up on them and you will be happy. Sounds does change once get nice and webbed up

Aztec3

Addicted to Softballfans
The 14s feel like complete turds. The barrel has no feel to it, just stiff as hell. If anyone ever swung a NON 73v voltage the 14L4s feel worse.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
2013 L4's are the turth and the 14 l3 takes second. I hated the 14 L4 just never got going. Reminds me of that black and red ASA old stamp helmer from years ago.

That black/red helmer was hot like fire after 2-3000 hits though

Update: Probably about 400 swings on it now. Tested compression and it was between 340-350 on all sides. That explains alot in the lack of pop, but doesn't explain why it was decent out of the wrapper and crap now. My brother says he likes it, but like I said never has played more than 1 team a year, and not expecting performance like I do. League starts saturday. Hoping for answers

why are you compression testing an ASA ONLY bat with USSSA compression standards

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
why are you compression testing an ASA ONLY bat with USSSA compression standards

Not 100% sure what you mean. Are you saying there is a different tester or that the standard is different.

I was more so looking for answers and comparing readings. I tested an OG Mayhem ASA (orange) the same time I know is for more broken in and it was around 270. I was just trying to see the difference between a known broken in bat and a turd.

Complex I tested at is a USSSA complex and only two complexes I know locally with on site testing are USSSA complexes